I know how he feels . What a nightmare

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
9500kg
I certainly didn't have time to stop since it was continuously slipping, but it must have been a slower slip than Neils as well as a lot less far to fall. If I had a big drop that side would I have been so quick to turn and drive down it?!?
I did study a bit of geotechnics years ago, if you look up a soil's angle of repose, especially once the soil's particles have been lubricated by rain, then even staying the right side of a guesstimated rule of thumb 45 degree line from base of slope to your wheels might be too tight. Being used to European roads that even if made of soft stuff you can be fairly confident they won't move to then put yourself in that same position in a road that may only have been badly made or re-made that year is a risk I wasn't aware of until it found me.
The road we slipped off from had something like 75 degree steep sides. A bulldozer can push the material out to form that shape, but if whatever is used to compact it went right to that edge it would fall off too. IMHO :)
Jason

waveslider

Outdoorsman
but if whatever is used to compact it went right to that edge it would fall off too.

Good point and words to live by. Thanks for the response. Im trying to gather a frame of reference since we are moving from something in the 12k range to 20k range (lbs).

nathane

I had another look at the original story and in particular the photos and the truck's position. I know it's hard to get any sense of gradient from photos but the road here doesn't appear steep, narrow or with particularly sharp corners.

Even if there was no lateral slippage as the truck rotated just look at the position of the "fulcrum" wheels and think about where the truck must have been at the point it rolled. That thing was waaaay off in the bushes off the side of the road. The track on this vehicle is around 2.2m iirc and one of these babies is probably 3.5m high (or wide on it's side!), so the road is like over 50% wider than the truck. It was clearly dry and this was no road made of uncompacted gravel piled up at super-critical slip angles.

I have done some daft stuff in vehicles, including rolling one in the past, which was completely my fault. I can see that there are situations where circumstances are entirely unpredictable and out of the drivers control. This doesn't really look like one of those though. Must have been really scary when it happened.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Lol. I hit my head on the shower nozzle again.

Someone should add crane truck / fire truck hydraulic out riggers to the front of the frame between the cab and box, where the spare tires go. You could use them as spare tire mounts and lifts, and to self right the truck.

gregmchugh

Observer
Ok. I havent released this before. Sorry its a bit long and shakey . I was watching through my fingers

My Recovery

Neil

Good that you got help to get upright in a remote area so you could drive to get things fixed but it is painful to watch when you compare it to a recovery done at less remote spot with equipment that could have avoided as much damage to the vehicle. You surely did the best you could given the circumstances. Glad that you finally got everything fixed up and are back traveling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94