I need a low profile roof vent. Do they exist?

bee

Observer
I just bought a fantastic fan, which works fine, but I just realized that it will cast a shadow on the solar panels that I will be getting in the future.

I need like a maximum open height of about 4"

Has anyone ever modded one to lift the lid straight up instead of tilting?

doug720

Expedition Leader
Look for a marine vent, there are many options and built very well, but can be a bit $$$$$$

Doug

bee

Observer
I have looked before and I don't remember seeing any with a fan built in. Did you have something specific in mind?

doug720

Expedition Leader
Search Google for -

powered marine vent

Dozens of choices, many are solar and have battery's so the will work day or night. They are also very low profile and nearly waterproof so they work when it rains.

Doug

bee

Observer
Solar powered vents and the other marine fans I came across are not comparable. Fantastic and Maxair fans move a lot more air, are thermostatically controlled, and shut air tight.

I chose the fantastic over the maxair for one reason. I liked the maxair deluxe better in truth, but I need a fan I can use with snow on the roof. A fantastic with a maxxair cover can do that. Also fantastic has a double pane lid available which is nice.
But either fan will cast a huge shadow.

It only takes one cell on a solar panel to be in a shadow to drop the panel to 66% Some solar panels will shut down completely.

There are 2 solutions most people use. The first and more common is to not worry about it....The 2nd is to just use more smaller solar panels and try to space them out better, but that is hardly ideal, when a small 140watt panel is $300 and a 240watt panel is $400

suntinez

Explorer
You mean like this? Ventline Vanair vent, around $50.

This is a different shape than Fantastic or Maxxair, not sure if it'll work for you. But they are nice units, pop straight up and move a lot of air.

bee

Observer
You mean like this? Ventline Vanair vent, around $50.

This is a different shape than Fantastic or Maxxair, not sure if it'll work for you. But they are nice units, pop straight up and move a lot of air.

Thanks
Yeah that is basically what I am looking for, wish it was bigger though, Its only rated for 100cfm which seems low for a fan that large. I take it you have used one? Does 100cfm sound right, my computer fan is rated higher then that.

suntinez

Explorer
Thanks
Yeah that is basically what I am looking for, wish it was bigger though, Its only rated for 100cfm which seems low for a fan that large. I take it you have used one? Does 100cfm sound right, my computer fan is rated higher then that.

I used one many moons ago in the rear of a Dodge van. It's a small fan about 6" I think but got the job done.

I've seen these used in teardrop trailers too, maybe there's some better data from those guys? Anyhow good luck.

bee

Observer
Well after giving up, and settling on the fact that I was going to have to make something custom I think I found what I was looking for. I have never seen one in real life so if someone has hands on experience I would like to know more about them quality/functionality.
http://www.pacet.co.uk/roofmountedfans.php
Does anyone know where to buy them or good companies that will ship to the US?

The benefits over fantastic style fans that I see are:

-Does not add to vehicle height when open, will not catch on branches (and get destroyed) when you forget to close it.
-Its low profile prevents it from casting a shadow onto solar panels. This is huge by the way. Depending on your exact solar panel if you block one cell you can expect a 30-50% decrease in power output. If you block a single row of cells your output can drop to zero.
-Less noticeable when in operation if you are trying to not attract attention.
-Usable in the rain, no rain sensor like with fantastic that noisily opens and closes the vent throughout the night.

http://www.pacet.co.uk/images/menu/roofmounted.jpgroofmounted.jpg

Rando

Explorer
If I am reading the spec sheet on this right, it draws 7 Amps! You wouldn't want to run that all night.

Well after giving up, and settling on the fact that I was going to have to make something custom I think I found what I was looking for. I have never seen one in real life so if someone has hands on experience I would like to know more about them quality/functionality.
http://www.pacet.co.uk/roofmountedfans.php
Does anyone know where to buy them or good companies that will ship to the US?

The benefits over fantastic style fans that I see are:

-Does not add to vehicle height when open, will not catch on branches (and get destroyed) when you forget to close it.
-Its low profile prevents it from casting a shadow onto solar panels. This is huge by the way. Depending on your exact solar panel if you block one cell you can expect a 30-50% decrease in power output. If you block a single row of cells your output can drop to zero.
-Less noticeable when in operation if you are trying to not attract attention.
-Usable in the rain, no rain sensor like with fantastic that noisily opens and closes the vent throughout the night.

http://www.pacet.co.uk/images/menu/roofmounted.jpgView attachment 154577

Abitibi

Explorer
Does it have to be on the roof? I've seen a few where they were mounted on the side or even rear doors. My ambulance has the intake on the upper side and two exhaust at the upper rear... I can dry my hair when all 3 are going! (Ok, I'm bald but it still moves a lot of air)

Cheers
Mr. D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz