I need new trail runners

4runnerteq

Explorer
Ok, so I dont run trails. But Ive been wearing Vasque Velocity trail runners for at least 8 years and they are not made anymore. Ive spent hundreds of dollars the past few months on different shoes, and frankly, they all suck for me. Ive tried Asics Kahana, I like them but Ive had 2 pair and both of the left shoes had a ridge right under the left arch. The 2nd pair wasnt as bad but I had all I could stand today after only about an hour of wear. Been trying to like them all week. I have a pair of Soloman 3D Ultras that I really like the looks on and the variety of different colors but the damn arches are so high that after about 3 days I cant stand to wear them anymore. I have a pair of 990 New Balance that Ive worn once that I dont really care for anyway and then read all the reviews about them smelling of cat piss after a couple months. At $150 they are way to expensive for that. They wil be going back tomorrow. The Velocitys were awesome. Put em on and go, very little to no break in. I do do some trail walking and have also done backpacking with them straight out of the box.

zelatore

Explorer
I've been wearing Salomon trail runners for years. Several different types. I like the no-tie laces, and the traction has been very good on pretty much every surface. Oh, and really, truly 100% waterproof for the goretex versions. I wear them for day hiking or light backpacking and even snowshoeing. No complaints about the arches. The only complaint I have is that my current pair (forget what version) has started to squeak at warmer temps, say over 50*.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have the latest salomon gore tex pair as well. I really like them. I also like north face xtr's, timberland waterproof, various Columbia waterproofs. I also noticed that saucony now has a gore tex version now. Saucony are the most comfortable sneaker I have ever put on. And they will be in my stable of foot wear as well. waterproof of course. I live in one of the wettest places in Canada. Waterproof everything is essential.

Third vote for Salomon. Mine have gone all over the world with me - run trails in south Texas, kick boxed in Russia, and hiked in Montana. And they're still kicking. Excellent lateral stability and impressive wear, and light enough to pack in the go bag when traveling.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
shoes are like bike saddles...once you go through 10 or twelve you finally find one that fits...
asking for opinions on here is like asking what size ring to buy for your girlfriend...
I am partial to brooks...

Ramjet

Explorer
My advise, is to find a reputable running store. No, not Academy or Dicks, but a run specialty store were you can get fitted correctly and they can diagnose how you walk and run. Then you can make an informed choice on what fits the best and what works for the use it's intended for. Good luck. I found two great stores for you.

Traxrunning or Tri-state running

robgendreau

Explorer
I agree with Flagster: there are so many options that we can't really help with specific suggestions. Just make sure that when you find something you like that you buy lotsa pairs; they won't be around for long. I used to go through tons of pairs cuz I did run trails and it was a huge frustration.

One thing to do is to check Sierra Trading Post. They have lots of discontinued models, and even if they don't have your Velocity model they sometimes have older models by the same manufacturer that might have been made on the same last, so fit similarly. And since you're not running in them, maybe something with a somewhat different set of features but the same fit would do. And their prices are super low, with a good return policy. So you can order up about five pair at a time and then return the fails. I seem to recall I once had a pair of velocities that I liked a long time ago, but I also found the fit was rather idiosyncratic and the next pair from Vasque didn't work. So maybe they switched out something about the design.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
problem with most companies is they change the model every year...I like the brooks cascadia 2...but I think they are on 4 or 5 right now...little differences are sometimes a pain...high heel cup...longer tongue...etc

bigd74

Jeeper
I used to run in Solomans, but have now switched to Altra Lone Peaks. I love them. Won't be going back to Solomans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Altra Superior.
http://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men/mens-shoes/#Trail Running

Say no to overbuilt footwear.

A1252-1_Green.jpg

Dazrin

Adventurer
So much depends on how a shoe fits YOUR foot, but here is my take. I wear wide shoes, size 11 or 11-1/2 depending on manufacturer/cut.

I love my Merrell Bare Access running shoes (not that I use them for running), they are a borderline minimal shoe (some padding, but no drop). Have had them for 1-1/2 years and holding up and still looking good. Have used for walking (Disney World = LOTS of walking), travel, and camping as well as recreation. I normally can only wear them at least 1-2x/week unless I am on vacation since they aren't appropriate for my office. For a more traditional shoe I really liked their Mix Master shoe as well. I decided on the Bare Access shoes just because I wanted a lighter weight shoe, either would have worked for me.

I knew I needed a very comfortable pair of shoes for all the walking I was going to do at Disney World, so I looked/tried on shoes for over 6 months trying to find a "perfect" shoe for me and these Merrells and a Saucony were my favorites by far. The Merrells were slightly cheaper and less flashy (black/white vs colored) so I went with them.

editedforsafety

I loved my Merrell mix masters, but they wore out really fast. The pair of Bare Access I have a holding up better, but I tend to wear my New Balance Minimus trail runners for actual trail running, and my Brooks Cascadias for light hiking.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My Alta's fell apart in less than two months and less than 80 miles or running. I run in Vivobarefoot shoes now, (when I wear shoes) and I walk in nothing but Merrell barefoots....I have one pair of Goretex Merrells that I wear camping. They last forever!
Bummer. I have the Lone Peaks from Altra and they're sill going strong.
Ugly damn things though. Red. Very red. Look like clown shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles