I want an LR4 and I have a question

dcg141

Adventurer
Gotcha. I assume you are running TT F/R in something like a D1? (I have a D1 with a TT rear, 4 pin up front-that likewise I installed myself).
What you may well find, assuming you haven't spent much time wheeling the 3/4 series Discos, is that these will behave differently than a lighter truck with a traction aid. The locker could be useful, and should be incorporated into the search of course, but-in my experience-won't overcome some of the challenges that come with the weight of the truck.

Quite frankly single biggest thing you are going to want to do, especially in a 4, is find a way to get appropriate tires on there. If we were talking LR3 I'd suggest going to far as the V6 brake swap and 17's with MTs. LR4's make that a bit more challenging since I don't think you can get there from here.

That isn't to say that these trucks can't handle long protracted mud like where you wheel-just that in the grand scheme of things their weight will conspire and as you likely know better than I given your conditions, tires are the key along with HP to clear them. The computers of the truck will get you very close to acting like an LSD even in a non HD truck-in my experience, comparing platforms.
r-
Ray

I had a D1 with a rear locker. My current ride is a Jeep Liberty with lift and LSD's that I plan on keeping. I stay out of the bottomless pits around here. The rain here leaves our hill climbs with deep long blown out rain ruts that are a challenge even in dry conditions. I got to drive a LR4 and was surprised that such a capable off roader could have such nice road manners. I think its a unique vehicle in that regard.

Ray_G

Explorer
It absolutely is an amazing vehicle when taken as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fizzbiz

Observer
If you find a LR4 with a full size spare it should have the HD package. Most non Land Rover car dealers won't know that.

aek50

Adventurer
Not completely true about the full size spare being a give away for the HD package. Often it is can be an indication but not always.

To find an HD package just go onto AutoTrader and in the key word section put in “HD” and “heavy duty”. Quick search just brought up 3.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Seems like the local Land Rover dealer offers HD equiped LR4's on a regular basis.

Two LR4's, both with rear lockers.. One V8, one SCV6 Landmark (ouch on price but they know the market wants HD LR4's)

Usual disclaimer ...... no financial interest in LRCS other than that is where I found my LR4. They took care of me and service is excellent. Have used them since the 90's.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
The computers on lr3/4 make up for most of what people used to need lockers to achieve. Plus, is actually prefe the on demand aspect of an air locker over the system deciding when to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz