I want an LR4 and I have a question

dcg141

Adventurer
I want the V8 so that limits me to 2010 to 2013 if I am correct. My question is what year did the single speed transfer case start? I obviously want the 2 speed but I can't find any info on when they started using the single as an option. What do I need to look for in interior pics to make sure it has the 2 speed.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I want the V8 so that limits me to 2010 to 2013 if I am correct. My question is what year did the single speed transfer case start? I obviously want the 2 speed but I can't find any info on when they started using the single as an option. What do I need to look for in interior pics to make sure it has the 2 speed.

Inkedgearshift_LI.jpg

The non two-speed boxes will not have the low range (little mountain pictogram), but high range only (highway pictogram)

Pictured is one that has the two speed box, a MY2012 LR4 for example

El Solis

Adventurer
V8 is all years but 2005 which was a V6 and 2014 and newer which are supercharged V6’s I believe. There are 2 V8’s w the split at 2010. 2010-2103 has more HP and a few other changes. All LR3 and 4’s up to MY2013 have the dual transfer case with high/low range. 2014 starts supercharged V6’s and I believe the dual transfer case became an option that year. 2013’s are holding their value slightly better than other years because they are the last year of the V8’s and there were a few changes. We have a 2013 and love it. Already w 90,000 miles and no hiccups. Depending on budget and plans for use, I’d shoot for a 2012/2013 that has the certified pre owned certificate or get that with purchase (6 years or 100,000 mike warranty) and relatively low miles (40,000-60,000).

dcg141

Adventurer
V8 is all years but 2005 which was a V6 and 2014 and newer which are supercharged V6's I believe. There are 2 V8's w the split at 2010. 2010-2103 has more HP and a few other changes. All LR3 and 4's up to MY2013 have the dual transfer case with high/low range. 2014 starts supercharged V6's and I believe the dual transfer case became an option that year. 2013's are holding their value slightly better than other years because they are the last year of the V8's and there were a few changes. We have a 2013 and love it. Already w 90,000 miles and no hiccups. Depending on budget and plans for use, I'd shoot for a 2012/2013 that has the certified pre owned certificate or get that with purchase (6 years or 100,000 mike warranty) and relatively low miles (40,000-60,000).

Thx for all that info. The info I could get together was the single X-fer case started in 14. The years I'm looking for are 12-13 now. I had a Disco back several years ago and have the fever again.

eloist

Adventurer
Wow I never knew there were LR4's out there without low range. That's just silly

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow I never knew there were LR4's out there without low range. That's just silly

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sigh...refer to the post above were the owners of the LR4's didn't even know. Welcome to the new face of Land Rover.
I remember being in a focus group a few years ago and one of the questions asked is if a two wheel drive vehicle was still a Land Rover, and the 10 or so of us in the room burst out laughing and as one voice, said "No!"

dcg141

Adventurer
What is the difference between a HSE and a base unit? There is still a big price difference on used ones.

rjl

Ryan
All LR4's with the V8 have high and low range center differentials. The HD package adds a rear locker.

Beginning with the supercharged V6 (2014), not all LR4's had low range. The HD package adds both low range and a rear locker.

The HSE package on the LR4 adds a 3rd row seat and some other luxuries, I believe.

Ray_G

Explorer
Hmmmm...finding one with the factory rear diff lock is going to be fun.

Aside from the joy of hunt, I'd ask if there is a significant requirement to have the locking rear dif (and if there is such a significant requirement, why not just get a good truck with the other attributes that you want and add an ARB?).

A long way of saying the vast majority of drivers, in the vast majority of terrain, won't really find it necessary.

My $.02.
r-
Ray

dcg141

Adventurer
Aside from the joy of hunt, I'd ask if there is a significant requirement to have the locking rear dif (and if there is such a significant requirement, why not just get a good truck with the other attributes that you want and add an ARB?).

A long way of saying the vast majority of drivers, in the vast majority of terrain, won't really find it necessary.

My $.02.
r-
Ray

I do a significant amount of off roading. My current rig has Trutrac's front and rear that I did install. Those are actually my favorite and I realize they are LSD's and not a true locker. I get into areas with long deep rain ruts and they really help in those. I have had rigs wo them and did fine with some creative driving. There is not a lot of difference between the units I have looked at from an equipment standpoint. 11-13's all came with the 5.0 and 2 speed transfer cases as far as I can tell. If I could get one with a locker and not pay a significant amount more it would be nice.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
I do a significant amount of off roading. My current rig has Trutrac's front and rear that I did install. Those are actually my favorite and I realize they are LSD's and not a true locker. I get into areas with long deep rain ruts and they really help in those. I have had rigs wo them and did fine with some creative driving. There is not a lot of difference between the units I have looked at from an equipment standpoint. 11-13's all came with the 5.0 and 2 speed transfer cases as far as I can tell. If I could get one with a locker and not pay a significant amount more it would be nice.

Gotcha. I assume you are running TT F/R in something like a D1? (I have a D1 with a TT rear, 4 pin up front-that likewise I installed myself).
What you may well find, assuming you haven't spent much time wheeling the 3/4 series Discos, is that these will behave differently than a lighter truck with a traction aid. The locker could be useful, and should be incorporated into the search of course, but-in my experience-won't overcome some of the challenges that come with the weight of the truck.

Quite frankly single biggest thing you are going to want to do, especially in a 4, is find a way to get appropriate tires on there. If we were talking LR3 I'd suggest going to far as the V6 brake swap and 17's with MTs. LR4's make that a bit more challenging since I don't think you can get there from here.

That isn't to say that these trucks can't handle long protracted mud like where you wheel-just that in the grand scheme of things their weight will conspire and as you likely know better than I given your conditions, tires are the key along with HP to clear them. The computers of the truck will get you very close to acting like an LSD even in a non HD truck-in my experience, comparing platforms.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles