ICELAND, land of contrasts

I checked the website for the Smyril line ferry , and it says that the maximum height of the cars to be transported is 1.9 meters , my car has a James baroud rooftop tent and big tired installed to its quite high definitely more than 2 meters , so I was wondering how you guys managed to get the cars with rooftop tents on the ferry without trouble .

There is about 4-5 meters to the celing on the main decks of the ferry.
For vehicles above 1.9m there is a fee to be paid, it's just part of their pricing structure.
As I recall, for vehicles longer than 5m there is a similar fee to be paid.

canzi69

Hi everybody

This is a little movie about our last summer tour to Icleand.
The group comprised 6 cars and a bunch of people coming from France, Switzerland and Belgium. We took the ferry from northern Denmark to Iceland (2 days out, 2 days back). We were lucky enough to enjoy a great weather during the month of August. Almost sunny everyday... quite unusual for Iceland. In the other hand, the huge amount of sow that felt last winter was still present in the highest parts of the island. Some of the tracks that I planned to take were closed and not drivable with non arctic trucks. But this country has so many amazing natural wonders to offer that the situation led us to discover other beautiful areas. All in all, one of the best trip to Iceland I've ever made.
Our next edition takes place from the 2nd to 20th of august 2016.
Hope you enjoy the video.
cheers.
Nico / Geko Expeditions
[video=vimeo;149088477]http://vimeo.com/149088477[/video]
Full HD with the direct link to VIMEO:
https://vimeo.com/149088477
gorgeous.
I like Your other trips, also.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't suppose you're willing to share a map of your route? We're planning to take our van over this summer and we're just in the process of route planning.
Hi Clift. Sorry, I'm not sharing our tracks. Building a fantastic and well timed itinerary to get a kind of "best of" takes us months of work. Our itineraries are also build to travel in a small convoy and some parts wouldn't be ok for a lone traveler... Have a nice trip. Nico

Such an amazing video !
May I know what camera was used to shoot it ? and what's the name of the ferry that took you from Denmark to Iceland ?

HI, thank you for your nice comment. The film was shot with a Panasonic FZ1000 and GoPro Hero 3+ Black.
The ferry from Denmark to Iceland is the Norrona from the company Smyrilline based in Foroe Island.

There is about 4-5 meters to the celing on the main decks of the ferry.
For vehicles above 1.9m there is a fee to be paid, it's just part of their pricing structure.
As I recall, for vehicles longer than 5m there is a similar fee to be paid.

That's exact. You can even bring a big camper or a truck. No problem. For cars and 4x4 / vans, the first category is <1.90m / <5.00m. The second category is 1.90 to 2.50m / <5.00m. Most of the equipped 4x4's can be booked in that category. Then there is a category for big vans, trucks and campers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles