Ideas for a family of 4 camper?

goatherder

no trepidation
I used to camp with my young kids quite often. The rig I have now would have made that so much easier. You could always do what I did; pick up a surplus short bus, install the lift and tires, and then build the inside to suit your needs. I think my signature has a link to a thread that still has some pics on it. Just scroll right to the bottom

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sometimes there's wisdom in the crowd: the most popular RV combo is travel trailer + tow vehicle for a good reason .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B^2

Observer
I definitely support the travel trailer + tow vehicle combo for most trips. My wife and I have our first little one on the way so it's something I definitely think about quite a lot. I like the luxury of having a small travel trailer/rv for camping and then maybe a RTT setup for more off the grid camping. With some of the offroad trailers, the cost starts to get real expensive real quick and I'm not sure the functionality is high enough to justify the cost for my own personal use.

I like the idea of a enclosed RV type trailer for winter ski trips, trips to BM and something smaller/more mobile for weekend adventures.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I can't tell you what to do, but I can mention what works for me.

My favorite setup:
F250 4x4 CCSB, BDS level kit, airbags or Sumo Rebel, GenY WD hitch
23' Travel Trailer w/dinette & couch slideout (about 60% of that trucks capacity)
Ladder rack for kayaks
37x13.5 Cooper STT Pros or 35x12.5 Cooper STT's depending on the length of trip, terrain etc.
Raceline Defender 18x9 +18mm wheels.
Mountain Hardwear tents.

Plenty of space for bikes and cargo in the bed. Even a stock Superduty will waste a motorhome on dirt roads. Girls in the camper, boys in the tents. We usually use the washhouses at campgrounds.

I will NOT go slower than semi trucks or the speed limit on the highway. The people hauling huge 5'ers at a piddly 55mph must be miserable. No way that I could do that. I set my cruise at 70-75 usually.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
167BH.JPG

Even a tiny TT is bigger than a slide in camper. And 3 times less expensive.

B^2

Observer
Something line that Sonoma trailer would be ideal for me, big enough for the wife, kiddo , myself and the dog. Also not so big that I can't tow it behind my '17 Colorado Z71.

MOguy

Explorer
Something line that Sonoma trailer would be ideal for me, big enough for the wife, kiddo , myself and the dog. Also not so big that I can't tow it behind my '17 Colorado Z71.
We had a small camper like that but wanted more room as our boys grew. We wanted to stay light. We ended up with a 16 foot hybrid. Two full size beds fold out, one at the front and at the back. This frees up allot of space in the middle of camper with the beds folded out.

I get to travel down the road with a 2400lb 16 foot camper but when stoped it folds out to be about 24 foot. The extra room is nice.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Seriously, a $200 8-person two-room ground tent.

+1.

We preferred 4, two person, pup tents. Little tents, especially quality Marmot or Mountain Hardwear tents work excellent. In fact, I'll never take a trailer anywhere, without a couple tents in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles