If you had to pick one: Skid plates or rock sliders?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
For sure! The toughest thing I can see myself on (at least purposely on) is something like Black Bear Pass. That said, been on enough roads that got way rougher than I expected, which is where a little armor would be appreciated.
Black Bear is legitimately hard enough I like having a good skid plate. As much as anything just so you don't have to constantly worry about working too far over on the shelf just to avoid stuff.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Black Bear is legitimately hard enough I like having a good skid plate. As much as anything just so you don't have to constantly worry about working too far over on the shelf just to avoid stuff.

I hear ya, but I like I said, that's about the toughest thing I'd consider... and that's not to say I'm for sure!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Skids first. Like most vehicles on here I suspect yours will be a daily driver first and an off-roader second. The skid plates work equally well protecting your sensitive parts against trash in the roadway as they do on the trail. Good luck!

99Yota

Observer
How much do you plan to cover with your skid plates? Full bellypan like this?
1572494096756.png

Based solely on the tire size you've listed (I may be way off here) I am guessing you are not going to intentionally look for rock gardens to traverse or pick the hard lines (when a less extreme one exists) so the full skid package might be a bit much.

In the interest of cost efficiency, my vote goes with picking up used:
-
front skid only to protect your lower radiator area and oilpan which is easily damaged if it ever sustains a hit. (Something like a Budbilt skid comes to mind.)

- sliders are nice but you can get around them by stacking rocks and taking things slow. On the upside, they will pull dual duty everyday as a step for you/ your passenger and protect your rocker panel area from damage.

Both serve important purposes so eventually, you'll probably want both. For the time being, which meets your immediate requirement(s) best?

Smileyshaun

Observer
You don’t have to be onsome super hard trail to get junk into your undercarriage . Traveling down a normal smooth gravel road I managed to flip a stick up into my undercarriage breaking a electrical plug on the side of my trans keeping my rig from shifting out of second gear . It can happen anywhere

shade

I have five skidplates that exhaustively outfit the undercarriage including my fuel tank.
What material? I'd have to check my records, but I believe the 1/4" aluminum BudBuilt set I have weighs around that much.

Ideally, I'd have 1/8" high grade steel skids that didn't cost $3000 or more. High strength, low weight, and the material would slide over rocks better than aluminum. One of the things that impresses me about the Chevy Bison is the skid plates.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I hear what you've said about keeping tires on rocks to avoid belly damage but depending on where you are that isnt always possible. Tne benefit of skid plates as some have mentioned is the unseen obstacles or unforeseen issues. For me offroading in Maine I often go through puddles where I cant see exactly how deep they are (I know they aren't 5 foot deep bogs as they are in a road) and cant know for sure if there may be rocks lurking under the surface that could cause an issue. And many of the roads are in deep woods where I can't pick a different line even if I wanted to due to trees etc. So for me skids 1st. I've never needed sliders but I'm also not a super technical trail guy.

billiebob

If you need sliders, you need skids.
But just because you have skids does not mean you need sliders.

Skid plates protect expensive stuff which can strand you if damaged.
Sliders keep the paint shiny but it is unlikely you'll get stranded without them.

shade

I've had enough hits to the skids to be sure something expensive would've been leaking without them.

Other than the utility of using them as a lift point and a step for RTT & roof access, I've only needed sliders once. As I was squeezing between two boulders and trying to decide if I was still on the Cerro Gordo trail or in the dry creek, a rock shifted under a rear tire and a slider banged hard into one of those boulders. The sliders paid for themselves multiple times at that moment. I don't go looking for ways to beat up my truck, but the unexpected happens when you drive down rough enough terrain.

No disrespect to any of the prior posts, but you guys should see the oil pan on the 2F in my FJ40 trail truck. ?

On my 2007 Tacoma I installed some sliders because I wanted to protect the body from damage. When off-loading in mild stuff (Canyonlands) I just remember that the Taco has no ground clearance in comparison to my FJ40 and carefully place the tires on the tallest obstacles.

It sounds like the OP might not really need either sliders or aftermarket skid plates. Sliders do look much better than side steps! ?

Clawhammer

Adventurer
No disrespect to any of the prior posts, but you guys should see the oil pan on the 2F in my FJ40 trail truck. ?

On my 2007 Tacoma I installed some sliders because I wanted to protect the body from damage. When off-loading in mild stuff (Canyonlands) I just remember that the Taco has no ground clearance in comparison to my FJ40 and carefully place the tires on the tallest obstacles.

It sounds like the OP might not really need either sliders or aftermarket skid plates. Sliders do look much better than side steps! ?

You may be right and I may not need either sliders of skids, but I've definitely scraped my first gen Taco on trails. The factory skids took the abuse well enough, but... the 2nd gen has about 1.5" less clearance than the first gen, so I figured it would be a good idea to add some armor to this one. That's basically where I'm coming from. I'm really just trying to make a truck that's as much if not more capable than my old one.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I really don't do heavy duty rocks much anymore; but when I did my order of armoring was;
1. Fuel tank (if it is not already armored)... Have been lucky and able to find OEM/factory option, fuel tank skid plates in the Junk yards for vehicles that were not factory equipped.
2. Auto tranny (if not already armored (manual transmissions can typically can take more abuse; armor unnecessary)... a tummy tuck plate typically protects the tranny pretty well.
3. Rock rails/sliders esp. if running smaller tires than 35s... occasionally it is necessary to set the frame or rocker down on rocks if they do not let the tires reach the ground. (steel tubing is pretty cheap and they are easy to fabricate).

Thought about oil pan but after near 30 years of difficult (rarely extreme) offroading they are unmarked.
Never bumped a steering box.
Never bumped/bent drag link/tie rods.
Vehicles with diff covers; never bumped a diff cover hard enough to make it leak/hit the ring gear. Using a heavy duty, stock , usually a thicker/old diff cover is enough (after a bit of grinding on the lower lip to keep rocks from trying to tear it off/make it leak, the thin ones should be avoided.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier