If you want a good reliable truck

CodyY

Explorer
That was my talking point for a while, as well. I don't have to worry about the Ford's opening the powered tailgate on the Hwy, if I have an XL with manual everything. Wrong. There's nothing wrong with the tailgates. It's the can bus wires that talk to them. So early XL's may have issues as well, just other can bus equipment shows the problems. And the pattern continues into GM, BMW, Jeep, etc. etc.

I love rebuilding Expy transmissions. So thanks! Lol.

Do 5 star tuners for gas Fords have the ability to completely disable the TPMS, like Forscan does? I'd love to adjust things like Forscan does, without using Forscan. People have seriously f'd up trucks using Forscan, and blame the truck. Even through no fault of the user. Sometimes flash programs do funky stuff.
Depends on the model and year. They weren't able to for my 08 f250

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Bummer. Trying to find a one in all tuner.

Forscan has so many bugs. Like any ''free'' program.

Jnich77

Director of Adventure Management Operations
If you avoid high line models Like Denali/Platinum/ king ranch/big Horn, etc....

They're not too over complicated.

That said, I'm a 5star tuning dealer and we just did a tune on my buddy's wifes Expedition Max with the 3.5TT EcoBoost. That big girl now spins all 4 on the street and does 5.3 0-60. Still clicks 25mpg on the hwy.

Modern **** is cool.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Which of today’s truck / suv would qualify for the “least over- engineered and mechanical simplicity” ?
(If there were such a category)

I have seen Land Rover defenders with 200k on them, kept well with good care, still running strong... and the I have seen TLCs I would not even risk driving them a few blocks down the road.
I have an XL with the STX package...not fancy or complicated...but also not a work truck. I used Brew City Boost for my tune on my 2.7 and I gap the ever loving hell out of V8 trucks all the time.

Jnich77

Director of Adventure Management Operations
It is cool until it isn't...
Maybe it's just me...but I find the technology easier to work on than the "old school" stuff. The extra olus is you rarely have to pop the hood on a new vehicle... They typically go many, many more miles before needing repairs.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If the technology is working.

If your computer is reading a comm fault and your stereo and AC is INOP, you would never think to check the accessory plug by the spare tire. And the computer can't help, because every comm module is singing the Mickey Mouse song.

Modern cars are the easiest ever to diagnose, if the Can Bus is functional.

Really scary: Emergency power generators, hospital networks, even airplanes, are having this issue. I've got a 7 module comm nightmare inside a retirement home next week. Nothings talking, and the electrician ran three different brands of Belden wire! I might have to be sick that day. If I need a doctors note for work, I'll have to cut myself.

85_Ranger4x4

Maybe it's just me...but I find the technology easier to work on than the "old school" stuff. The extra olus is you rarely have to pop the hood on a new vehicle... They typically go many, many more miles before needing repairs.
If the technology is working.

If your computer is reading a comm fault and your stereo and AC is INOP, you would never think to check the accessory plug by the spare tire. And the computer can't help, because every comm module is singing the Mickey Mouse song.

Modern cars are the easiest ever to diagnose, if the Can Bus is functional.
My brother had a newer Ford come in the other day. The dash wasn't working and it wouldn’t run. Caused by a chain reaction initiated by a cracked headlight housing taking on water.

Customer threw a fit, it was like $2500 of fun to fix that. Even more fun to try to explain to a layman how a headlight caused a mission kill.

Stuff like that makes my skin crawl.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
This is my 3rd ford and my first new ford.

It has been to the dealer 2 times for a transmission problem and now 3 times for this misfire issue.

My other two fords were second hand an 89 and a 93. I had them when I was in high school and college. They broke a lot but were easy to fix and parts were cheap.
What year is your truck? V8? Ecoboost? Any modifications that might trigger these problems?

Were your 89 and 93 Ford trucks?

dirtdobberoffroad

all I got to say is

92 ranger 325,000 miles when I sold it and its still running around town 10 years later
97 F150 4.6l 350,000 when I sold it didn't use a drop of oil between oil changes

and I work for a utility company and all the trucks 500+ are fords the one I drive 6.2 F250 had 12 miles on it when I got 147,000 now and all that's been done is 6 sets of tires, oil changes, and a tank of gas a day. I fire it up and with in 3 minutes I put it to the floor till I hit 70mph every morning and runs for 8-10 hours a day for 4 years now.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My 15 was perfect for 200,000 miles. 6.2l. 7983hrs. 4175 hours idle!!! No joints, no bearings. Still perfect alignment, never on an alignment rack. Shocks, rotors, pads. Windshield wiper arm rusted off, and crossover exhaust pipe rusted out.

My 17 has an intermittant harness bug somewhere that we're trying to track down. Yeah, that's frustrating. Should be long gone on the 19+'s. Crappy vendor problem.