IFS, ******? or 'how to stuff???'

UncleChris

Adventurer
(Also posted on TTora)

So I go to Hollister today to see how much flex I can get to check tire clearance. White_Eskimo and I were there a few weeks ago and did some flexing, but our flexing was inconclusive and we were still confused.

This morning I took the truck to a local park with a dirt service road with a slope, wasn't able to get any real flex, OR flex that would prohibit 33s.

So I load up the dog and get to the obstacle course at Hollister and find a rut. SO I drive into the rut at an angle, and find that the weight is on the non-rutted tire, even though the rear chasis on that side is up in the air.

Shouldn't the weight be on the rutted tire?

So I go find a bigger rut. (BTW, I love my truck, I was driving through ******** that I thought would be impossible when I first bought it......enougn of the vehicular narcissicism...)

Same thing. Non rutted wheel is kind of stuffed, rutted wheel drooping. (Pics in member rigs)

I know that with solid axles, the axle pivots about the center of the axle, relatively independent of the body(to some extent). If I jack up one LCA on the Taco, the whole front end lifts.When I jacked up the axle on the XJ, the whole axle would pivot and stuff the side I am jacking.

So from these tests, I think that I would have no problem with 33s, BUT I am still thinking that is is impossible to stuff the front wheels of a IFS Taco.

One thing I should have checked was whether the Hoes were fully compressed. They could be limiting the stuffing.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Swaybars...

charouleau_gap.jpg

IFS is affected by the swaybar much more than a solid axle. The solid axle has leverage from the opposing wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94