Imperial Outdoors Xplore XR22

This is probably a long shot: does anyone have any experience with this trailer? Seen it in-person?

I understand it looks like an overpriced cargo trailer outfitted with some overlanding features; but it appears they did a good job considering real-world use. -40 degrees insulation--yes please. Articulating suspension etc. Yup, Full belly pan--indeed.

What do you think? I'd love to know more.

Links below:

https://www.tomscamperland.com/2021...lore-RV-XR22-Surprise-Mesa-Phoenix-AZ/6868816

https://www.imperial-outdoors.com/

008.jpg

Last edited:

Redheddedwonder

Interesting concept, would be curious to see price. I’ve always wanted to build a trailer with similar concept, but smaller, and incorporate bunk bends somewhere.

edit found price online at a dealer, $69k... seems steep but I like the concept and layout. Not sure I would pay that much for one though

oly884

It looks like it's built well, but I really don't have a need for a toy-hauler style, as well as the drop-down bed. They've got a great idea, and I hope they're successful. Perhaps they'll add more models down the line...

Interesting concept, would be curious to see price. I’ve always wanted to build a trailer with similar concept, but smaller, and incorporate bunk bends somewhere.

edit found price online at a dealer, $69k... seems steep but I like the concept and layout. Not sure I would pay that much for one though

I agree, I think it's worth about half of what they're asking. I'm guessing that re-sale would be pretty bad as well. I'd consider it if it were significantly cheaper. Seems like a good piece of gear.

Muddzy

They are coming out with a non toy hauler version soon - fixed bed and dinette that converts to a bed.
It's funny, my initial reaction was that I would want a non-toy hauler version like you mentioned. A little shorter body with an insulated bump out bed like the Opus OP15 (tougher to insulate the opened bump out though) . But now I kind of like the flexibility of that back space. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to customize that space for one's own needs. I would like to see one in person but it seems to me the existing 2 black couches could form a dinette by simple putting a removable table in between. Then the couches fold down for a bed and the bed above is more like a bunk bed. All of that folds away and I still have the extra carrying or loading capabilities those few times I might want them. The only downside is it would sure be nice to have a window on that end wall, which would be difficult with a loading gate.

The other advantage of a non-toy hauler version is maybe the weight is reduced? At 5200 dry it does weigh a lot for serious off-road.

TGK

Intriguing design. Love the lift bed but what aggravates me is they stick an "RV Full Size" bed at 48" into it. Give me a break. Lop some room off the counter, upper cabinet and bench on the curb side and make it a queen. From my perspective, 48" is simply too narrow unless sleeping solo. The toilet that requires electricity to work is nuts. Frankly, I continue to be puzzled about why they have to make the bathrooms so large in some of these trailers. A non toy hauler version could be good if they address some of these issues and put it on a diet. A dealer in Bend, Oregon has some of these units in stock and said they were willing to deal. When he told me the bed width I said it was a deal breaker. I suppose one could do some remodeling once purchased. However, if I'm going to shell out that much cash, some basic needs must be met.
I've also been watching the Opus 15, but I don't think there are any nearby to see first hand. Also, from my admittedly biased perspective, the Aussies love to put their kitchens outside. I don't have a problem with the concept as long as they also have one inside. If I want to cook outside, it easy enough to move a portable stove outdoors and go at it. However, the Pacific Northwest is not Australia and getting snowed on or drenched in late April or May and having to cook outside is not why I'm shelling out $$ for a trailer.

Muddzy

Intriguing design. Love the lift bed but what aggravates me is they stick an "RV Full Size" bed at 48" into it. Give me a break. Lop some room off the counter, upper cabinet and bench on the curb side and make it a queen. From my perspective, 48" is simply too narrow unless sleeping solo. The toilet that requires electricity to work is nuts. Frankly, I continue to be puzzled about why they have to make the bathrooms so large in some of these trailers. A non toy hauler version could be good if they address some of these issues and put it on a diet. A dealer in Bend, Oregon has some of these units in stock and said they were willing to deal. When he told me the bed width I said it was a deal breaker. I suppose one could do some remodeling once purchased. However, if I'm going to shell out that much cash, some basic needs must be met.
I've also been watching the Opus 15, but I don't think there are any nearby to see first hand. Also, from my admittedly biased perspective, the Aussies love to put their kitchens outside. I don't have a problem with the concept as long as they also have one inside. If I want to cook outside, it easy enough to move a portable stove outdoors and go at it. However, the Pacific Northwest is not Australia and getting snowed on or drenched in late April or May and having to cook outside is not why I'm shelling out $$ for a trailer.
Funny, in the video review of the XP22 by ROA one of the dealer's biggest complaints, although minor to him, was that the bathroom is too small. I agree with you that a full size bed at that price point/size is too small. I thought it was odd that they didn't at least have it as a top bunk and allow one to convert the couches to a queen bed underneath it. I did contact the company and they are coming out very shortly with a non-toyhauler (no rear gate) version with a convertible dinette and a stationary queen bed. I love to winter camp so it's a very interesting but expensive and heavy model. Trying to keep loaded tow weight to 5500lbs so the best concept for me so far is this XP22, the OP15, the Black Series C12, HQ12 or the Kimbereley Karavan. But I can buy 2 HQ12s for the price of the KK.

Reactions: TGK

TGK

Funny, in the video review of the XP22 by ROA one of the dealer's biggest complaints, although minor to him, was that the bathroom is too small. I agree with you that a full size bed at that price point/size is too small. I thought it was odd that they didn't at least have it as a top bunk and allow one to convert the couches to a queen bed underneath it. I did contact the company and they are coming out very shortly with a non-toyhauler (no rear gate) version with a convertible dinette and a stationary queen bed. I love to winter camp so it's a very interesting but expensive and heavy model. Trying to keep loaded tow weight to 5500lbs so the best concept for me so far is this XP22, the OP15, the Black Series C12, HQ12 or the Kimbereley Karavan. But I can buy 2 HQ12s for the price of the KK.
Looking forward to seeing what they offer up for the non toy hauler version. The 4 season capability is an attractive feature.

TGK

I contacted Imperial Outdoors for confirmation and an update regarding status of their new non toy hauler version of their XR22. They quickly replied this AM confirming. Commentary below with illustrations of the layout of this new trailer. It's mounted on the same platform as the toy hauler, so most of the specs likely remain the same. Hefty for it's size but I like that they retained the tandem axles.

"Thank you for your interest in our product! You are correct, the X22 is currently in production and will be shipping to dealers soon. The specs will be very similar to the XR22 as it shares the same chassis and many of the same features. It does in fact have a fixed RV Queen bed with pass-through storage beneath, and also a convertible dinette. The kitchen and bathroom are much the same as the XR22 with some upgrades worked in as well. We will be sending out an email to our subscribers with more info when it is ready to hit dealer lots."

Regards,

The Imperial Outdoors Team

NI-IMP_X22_FloorPlan.pdf

Muddzy

I like the function of double axle, too. But since it isn't a toy hauler anymore it seems unnecessary and for those of us trying to keep the tow weight as low as possible, it's an easy place to drop some weight. I get that it's a lot easier and cost effective for them to have both models use the same chassis and body.

TGK

I was also thinking that the payload requirements would be reduced and wondered if they kept the tandem axles. I asked them to advise whether they kept the tandems or vent single.
I found a video online from ROA Off Road where they took one of the XR22 units out for some real world testing. Took it up some roads that I would not even consider taking a trailer this size.

Muddzy

I saw that. I pulled a 2500lb T@G XL Boondock teardrop with my Wrangler JKUR up some really rocky and steep trails. It wasn't made for that kind of off-road and I want something I can stand in for longer trips. That video by ROA towing the XR22 is what I want to do on some trips (not most) and I have a Gladiator now, but I don't think my Gladiator will pull this much weight on a similar slope as in the video. Hard to tell. ROA has videos of a Gladiator pulling a Black Series HQ12 up some serious slopes but the HQ12 manufacture's published dry weight is about 900lbs less than the XR22. There would be better off-road TVs for this XR22 than a Gladiator, that's for sure. I like the subzero capabilities of this but regardless of the TV, nobody is getting up any noticeable grade in the winter pulling a trailer. Or maybe they get up but if it snows overnight, they aren't getting back down! Come to think of it, I guess steep trails muddied from rain could leave one stranded, too.

TGK

I saw that. I pulled a 2500lb T@G XL Boondock teardrop with my Wrangler JKUR up some really rocky and steep trails. It wasn't made for that kind of off-road and I want something I can stand in for longer trips. That video by ROA towing the XR22 is what I want to do on some trips (not most) and I have a Gladiator now, but I don't think my Gladiator will pull this much weight on a similar slope as in the video. Hard to tell. ROA has videos of a Gladiator pulling a Black Series HQ12 up some serious slopes but the HQ12 manufacture's published dry weight is about 900lbs less than the XR22. There would be better off-road TVs for this XR22 than a Gladiator, that's for sure. I like the subzero capabilities of this but regardless of the TV, nobody is getting up any noticeable grade in the winter pulling a trailer. Or maybe they get up but if it snows overnight, they aren't getting back down! Come to think of it, I guess steep trails muddied from rain could leave one stranded, too.
My tow vehicle is a F150 4x4 Crew with the short bed, 3.5L Ecoboost/10spd trans & Hvy Duty Tow Pkg. I have a 50 year old Airstream that I've been towing with this truck for 4 years now (used to tow it with a '99 F250). Tows great even loaded up to max trailer weight at 5,200lbs. So, one of these new Imperial Outdoors units comes in about 1,000 lbs heavier than my old 23ft Airstream. Still easily within the F150's tow capacity, but heavier than I prefer. Dry weight of the trailer is about equal to the curb weight of the truck. My preference is to have a trailer that weighs less than the tow rig. Not always possible though. Always tradeoffs.

Muddzy

My tow vehicle is a F150 4x4 Crew with the short bed, 3.5L Ecoboost/10spd trans & Hvy Duty Tow Pkg. I have a 50 year old Airstream that I've been towing with this truck for 4 years now (used to tow it with a '99 F250). Tows great even loaded up to max trailer weight at 5,200lbs. So, one of these new Imperial Outdoors units comes in about 1,000 lbs heavier than my old 23ft Airstream. Still easily within the F150's tow capacity, but heavier than I prefer. Dry weight of the trailer is about equal to the curb weight of the truck. My preference is to have a trailer that weighs less than the tow rig. Not always possible though. Always tradeoffs.
True. IMO on flat roads you will be fine and I believe I will be too. It's the steeper trails where it's an unknown for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles