Importing a Military truck to the UK

Neil

Observer
I have spent all day on the phone to various UK Agecies such as DVLA and VOSA etc trying to get a difinative answer as to how to import a previously un registered military truck from Germany into the UK.

I am hoping to hear from someone who says " I did it last month and it's a peice of cake "

I intend to purchase a mercedes 12 tonne military truck ( probably in Auction ) in germany . It is unlikely to have any paperwork with it.

The vehicle will eventually be turned into an expedition camper, but will have to remain a truck during the conversion

In order to get it registerd in the uk the DVLA require proof that it is of UK standard, "Type Approved" and will require documentary evidence of this which I believe is obtained from mercedes. If this cannot be obtained then as I understand it it would need to undergo an IVA inspection ( Individual Vehicle Approved Scheme Inspection.)

It all sounded quite straight forward until I rang my nearest Mercedes truck dealer who started to bleed from the ears when I started talking about things such as Type Approval and IVA.

Has anyone gone down this route recently that gcan advise me and in particular has anyone had contact with the right person at Mercedes UK who I can speak to

Oh Joy

Many thanks

Neil

cwsqbm

Explorer
Being the U.S., I have zero knowledge, but contact these guys. They're located in the UK (Lancaster) and have some ex-German army Unimogs for sale, so they would probably have the experience bringing them into your country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior