Importing a truck from Japan

danleym

Not sure if I've ever posted anything here before, I read all the time just never felt like I had much to add I guess. I live in Colorado, have an 02 Wrangler and a 15 Crosstrek, don't do any crazy overlanding but like the idea behind it. Have a wife and a couple kids, love going wheeling, hiking, camping, whatever to spend some time outside, by myself or with the family.

Anyways, that's not really the point of this post. I've decided I want to import a Hilux. I've looked at all my options available here in the states, and just want to do it. I'm sure there are plenty of arguments for going with a Tacoma, or whatever other platform more readily available, but I've made my decision. Part of my enjoyment with cars is having something unique- I also own a 1980 AMC Spirt and a 1984 Moto Guzzi V65 SP. I like different stuff and want the experience of importing something.

Has anyone here imported a vehicle themselves? I'm probably 6 months out from being ready to pull the trigger, and I'm just trying to get as much info as I can. Internet searches are hit or miss. There are plenty of companies out there- either importers here in the states or Japanese auction/car sales sites. It's hard to make sure you're not being scammed, that the company is real, and that what you see is what you get. Clearly there's some risk involved in this process, but if I can hear from someone who used Company X, then that gives me a little more confidence.

eltoyomoto

Must be 25 yrs or older. So A 1994.
Fees will add up..
for example $13k for truck
+$1000 japan broker
+$2500 japan marine freight
+$500 misc japan fees
+$250 usa dealer broker
+$300 usa customs broker
+$600 misc usa port fees
+$$ 25% usa licensing tax on trucks imported, rvs imported 2.5%

So about $18k + x25% licensing

Here’s a nice one just saw coming soon.
See youtube Link

austintaco

Explorer
Did Canada get the Hilux? There’s an article floating around that walks you through going up to Canada to get a turbo diesel landcruiser, what to look for, avoiding rust, fees at the border, etc...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I suggest you purchase a Hilux YOU can actually put your hands on personally and inspect. If that means personally going to oversea's so be it. If that means traveling within the USA to look at a Hilux an importer already has on the ground here so be it. Being a Newby at the import game you are ripe for the pickin's so buyer beware.

You have NO relationships with ANY of the people you will deal with purchasing/importing a truck from overseas, preparing the paperwork for export from wherever, choosing the export agent, choosing a shipper, dealing with customs, dealing with the docks at both ends, choosing the import agent in the USA, knowing what fee's are taxes are actually due, knowing what BS are you are being told by everyone in the process and on and on!

That $2K+ profit you may pay a seller/importer for a Hilux already here on the ground in the USA will most likely SAVE YOU "Mo Money" than you could ever imagine purchasing this dream!

Last edited:

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Did Canada get the Hilux? There’s an article floating around that walks you through going up to Canada to get a turbo diesel landcruiser, what to look for, avoiding rust, fees at the border, etc...

Sadly we didn't get turbo diesels. We did get BJ60's (with the 13B N/A Diesel), and BJ70's (which are super rare).

We did get some first gen Toy pickups with a diesel. But they're all quite old and rusty.

Canada importation isn't anywhere near as bad as the states, so what you may be referring to is to buy an already imported truck from up here. I've heard of it done before, but just don't know if it's really worth it.

The numbers eltoyomoto posted seem pretty high to me, but it's been a lot of years since I had anything to do with importing.

Carnutbmw

There is definitely a risk in importing. You’ll be transferring money to people you don’t know, assuming you’re not travelling to Japan in person.

I am looking at importing from Japan myself, and in the past few months it has become clear to me that there are many unscrupulous exporters. A website you might want to have a look at is https://forums.jdmvip.com/ .

I haven’t decided yet which exporter to use, but there must be a few that are seeking repeat business, and deceiving customers doesn’t help to achieve that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior