Improving security... lexan windows? And some other ideas

rayra

Expedition Leader
I have 50% tint on my windshield...
How's that even legal? or safe to drive at night with?

To the OP, maybe try the 3M safety film, it's supposed to make it much tougher to smash out or thru a protected window. I've been thinking about adding it but it seems to be tough to find. I've tinted my own windows for decades, I think I can do a fair job, but it doesn't seem to be readily available. Can find plenty of installers for big money, but can't seem to find just the product.

D

Deleted member 9101

How's that even legal? or safe to drive at night with?

It's not legal for most people, but 50% is barely noticable. At night it in no way makes it difficult to see.

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
This doesn’t help the emergency situation, but something I’ve considered.

3M makes some sort of product that is clear plastic adhesive sheeting. It is applied to the inside of windows to prevent break in. It was demonstrated on a home window- floor to ceiling massive picture window. They attacked this with 12-pound sledge hammers. Yes, the glass broke of course but the film did not break, and you could not get in. It was awesome. Better than bars in my opinion because if you have bars, you must have something good in there.

I’ve not done it and it does not stop a bullet, but it will absolutely stop a smash n grab, prevent a car jacking (unless via firearm) and it’s totally undetectable.

vwhammer

Adventurer
First, my plan is to build my spare tire carrier and bike rack in such a way that it would block most of the back window of my van to make it tough to get in that way.
Naturally it would lock closed.

Secondly I will tint some of the rear windows just to make it a bit harder to see in where all the good stuff might be.
Planning on rear view and side view cameras anyway so I can still see outside at night while maneuvering.

Third, I was looking into some kind of bars or plates that I could put up while the vehicle is not occupied.
I would likely install these on the inside so it does not look too ridiculous from the outside.
It might not save the windows but it would save all your stuff... Hopefully.

Of course if someone saw something they liked they might also think twice about smashing the window if they can see that there are bars on the inside.

I also would like to put some serious locks on the inside of all but one door that can only be accessed from the inside.
Then I am looking at something like this for the outside of my sliding door.
https://www.thule.com/en/bg/van-accessories/comfort-and-security/thule-van-lock-_-rv-309832
If I was planning to leave the van for a while I would lock the front doors from the inside and exit through the slider, locking it on the outside after I exit.
The hatch would already be blocked by the rear cargo carrier which, as I mentioned, is also locked in some clever manner.

Other than that my supplemental idea is to have secure storage inside to keep things locked up and out of site.

David_h

Had my truck broken into last week. Looking into options to deter theft. Beyond the obvious 'don't leave valuables in plain sight', what mods have you done?

I'm considering replacing the driver side and passenger windows with Lexan. Has anyone done this? I'm also very weight conscious, and I estimate lexan could save 15-20 pounds for two windows.

The UV & scratch resistant lexan is considerably pricier: https://www.eplastics.com/polycarbonate/sheets/abrasion-uv-resistant/PCCLR0-250AR248X48
And I'm not sure regular lexan would stand the test of time.

Or a quick n' dirty cheap solution: 8 mil security film? https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Anti-...security+film&qid=1552261046&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I have steel window guards on all other windows, and it's tough to see anything inside. I'm also thinking of adding a polyester webbing cargo barrier behind the front seats. My thinking is that it would decrease visibility into the cargo area, and add 15 seconds or so to a break-in, hopefully enough to deter a smash and grab? thoughts?

While good for a house, as others have said; lexan might have safety issues for a vehicle.
However if for or a building— can be useful as illustrated by this classic clip ...

lugueto

Adventurer
I wonder where you guys live that you have such worries. Worrying about propane torches, installing window bars.. This all seems ridiculous to me. Specially considering the cons of installing crossbars and unbreakable windows.

As mentioned previously, and as said by LandcruiserPhil, out of sight, out of mind. Thieves won't take what they can't see, and they won't work too hard to take anything at all. All you have to do is make it harder than the guy next to you. If they wanted to take anything bad enough, with enough time, they will. No security measure will be enough given enough time.

Tinting the windshield is irresponsible at best. It is common practice down here, as is installing ridiculously dark tints (try 1%). It is plain stupidity. Sacrificing night time visibility, even a little, is not worth it, even less when your roads are filled with potholes and obstacles. Using a Sunshade when parking will make it harder to see inside the vehicle than 50% tint and will sacrifice no nighttime visibility at all.

3M security film will make it nearly impossible to break the window, but the glass will break. After enough hits, the glass and film will break off from the vehicle. My 80 was broken into a few months back and I found the glass, completely shattered, rolled up in the film beside te vehicle. Everything was taken from inside. Looking for the picture but can't seem to find it.

I believe a lot of people are overthinking the subject.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I agree if you are going to those extremes Attach a battery to the bars inside, or 12v motion siren. I bet they will think twice next time ? Also as added protection put your stuff in a bag and sew into it a cheap gps tracker.
Kevin
Here ya go

Last edited:

vwhammer

Adventurer
I wonder where you guys live that you have such worries. Worrying about propane torches, installing window bars.. This all seems ridiculous to me. Specially considering the cons of installing crossbars and unbreakable windows.

As mentioned previously, and as said by LandcruiserPhil, out of sight, out of mind. Thieves won't take what they can't see, and they won't work too hard to take anything at all. All you have to do is make it harder than the guy next to you. If they wanted to take anything bad enough, with enough time, they will. No security measure will be enough given enough time.

What if the thing that the thieves want is the vehicle itself?
I have VW Vanagons.
The value of these things is pretty absurd and generally they are always full of stuff.
Vanagons are pretty easy to break into and pretty easy to get running without keys.
Many thieves will target these vehicles specifically for those reasons.
Pop a door or bash a window, jump in, drive off and take your time sorting through it all at a leisurely pace.
Then with the right connections sell they van to someone else.

I want protection against people simply gaining access to the inside to take the whole thing.
Pretty tough to to keep the whole van out of sight when you're parked in town.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Now days there is no 100% protection. We have this problem in AZ they just take the whole thing out of your driveway while you are home.

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles