Increase Tacoma Payload and Towing Capacities?

maineman

Newbie questions:
How much will an upgraded suspension help with the payload capacity of a new Tacoma? Is it the existing suspension components that determine payload capacity or the frame and drivetrain?
Can anything be done to increase its towing capacity? I need to be able to tow a 7,000 lb. boat.
Thank you!

Adventurous

Explorer
Definitely going to need a bigger truck. Towing a 7,000 lb boat will be sketchy, never mind trying to haul a 7,000 boat out of the water and up a boat ramp.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Is the boat 7000 lbs or is the boat and trailer 7000 lbs.? If it is just the boat, the trailer is adding a lot more to overall weight.

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
Depending upon what truck you have, there are a series of modifications you can make which will make towing this kind of weight easier and arguably “not terrible”. That being said, I’m not positive what the max towing capacity is for the third gen trucks ..but for the second generation Tacoma 6,500# is the max towing capacity. So if they are the same, you will be exceeding the max capacity. The user manual will have this info.

Mandatory mods would be a weight distributing hitch system and electronic brake controller and from there, All Pro Expedition springs, Deaver, or Old Man Emu extra or high capacity springs, Firestone bags, overload springs or some combination of these. Then, I f you want the power to pull that kind of weight, a TRD/magnusen super charger with different exhaust cam pulleys, headers thru the cats(cat delete long headers) and better/bigger exhaust system. A regear may be in order as well if you’re lifted and up sized for tires.

Your looking at a minimum of 10K in parts if you’re doing your own install. The weight distributing hitch and the brake controller would run you $250.00 + $80-$150.00. Maybe less. Good luck finding a good place to mount the controller in the cab that your hands or knees don’t hit.

bkg

Explorer
Good gosh... the answer is NOTHING. There is nothing you can do to SAFELY and LEGALLY increase your gross vehicle weight rating.

I'd never consider towing anything more than 4k# with a second gen Tacoma. Sure, there are people that do it... but there are also people who eat tide pods and snort condoms... so...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I wouldn't say both safely and legally @bkg. GVWR might be safely increased. That's a question that's been swirling around a lot here lately, so searching and reading other threads would be useful. Practically speaking I completely agree with you that 4,000 lbs is pushing it with a Tacoma. No matter what the door jamb says physics is physics.

Same with payload. Toyota gives a recommendation as to what they think it carry and there's probably margin in that. But how much over and based on what analysis? Is there some data that shows the frame stresses have the margin to tolerate 2,000 lbs of payload?

Legally speaking the number the manufacturer sets will always be unless you have an engineer re-rate it (which means a stamped letter and you should be provided justifying calculations). But until you get into commercial vehicles the GVWR will likely never be questioned or confirmed unless there's an accident that involves insurance, lawyer and probably highway patrol.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkg

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
It's a Toyota, people overload them all the time. just try it, might not be too terrible.
Might need a brake controller..nbd

downhill

Adventurer
I've done a ton of towing with my 2nd gen. I also have 4:56 gears, and a manual transmission. The rating of 6500 pounds is for infrequent, short distance, flat land tows. If you are talking about towing in the mountains, higher altitude, summer time, lots of miles, etc., then I would put the limit at 3,500 pounds. Anything more will mean constantly downshifting, hill crawling, and occasionally pulling over to cool off. The Gen 3 has an even smaller engine, so it will certainly be even less capable.

Dalko43

Explorer
If you need to carry more payload than what the Tacoma is rated for, get another truck.

Can you modify the suspension to accommodate heavier loads? Yes.
Does that mean the rest of the vehicle (powertrain, frame, brakes, axles, ect.) will be able to safely and effectively deal with that payload? Not necessarily.

There is a lot that factors into the OEM payload and tow ratings. People do exceed those ratings all the time, but as someone else already noted, that doesn't validate such decisions.

If you want to frequently tow 7k lbs, consider a diesel Colorado. If you want a heavier payload and the ability to frequently tow 7k lbs, consider a 1/2 ton.

These 2nd gen Tacoma's and 4th and 5th gen 4runners are capable and reliable vehicles. But their engines really aren't the best for high payload and towing, even with re-gearing.

Reactions: bkg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior