Increasing Tacoma Payload Capacity?

Clutch

<---Pass
Pretty sure the T100 has the same rear diff as the 1st gen Tundra and Sequoia, and some Tacoma’s, not the “mini-truck” (Hilux) diff. Front diff is the same as the mini, just wider axles.

Found this on a Ford Forum of all places...you are correct: http://www.f150hub.com/drivetrain/toyota-axles.html

I never paid too much attention to the T100, so was unsure. Forgot its' production run spanned from the late HiLuxes to the early Tacomas.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Pretty sure the T100 has the same rear diff as the 1st gen Tundra and Sequoia, and some Tacoma’s, not the “mini-truck” (Hilux) diff. Front diff is the same as the mini, just wider axles.
The T100 rear diff is the same new-style 8" (sometimes called 8.4") as early Tundra and Tacoma without e-lockers. This is a stronger diff than the mini trucks due to larger (and trussed) bearing caps. This diff with an ARB is extremely stout. Tacos with lockers have the older 8" diff but it's the V6 4-pinion type. The front IFS was the mostly the same, same arms for example, but the track is wider and the CV axles are I believe different. The 7.5" IFS diff is the same as the 86-95 trucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkg

Clutch

<---Pass
Glad you chimed in Dave...was going to say in my other post, you being the Toyota savant would know.

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
I kinda assumed this is the answer I would be getting, but I know they have become popular platforms for slide-in-campers as "overlanding" has grown in popularity in the USA so I thought maybe there was known issues that could be addressed to make the adjustment.

I've considered other vehicles(and am still open to other options) but I don't want/need a larger truck. I just need the larger payload.

I've considered the Dodge 2500 for example, but I don't want something that would be considered a "heavy Vehicle" and potentially cause me problems in accessing national parks in Africa or extra expenses on toll roads or ferries. I also don't like that it is 4.5" wider and has a turnings circle 4 feet larger than the tacoma.

Ok, so yes...not designed to handle that much weight. But, I’ve tweaked my set up to handle 1900 pounds in the bed with all my usual recovery crap, plus bumper plus topper, RTT, etc.

Stage 7 Icon full system, 3” lift All Pro Expedition leafs, u bolt flip, bump stops, At The Helm Bed stiffener brackets, etc. next I’d add Firestone bags if I needed to adjust for sag. The progressive springs really made a big difference and are perfect for intermittent heavy weight loads. I’m always hauling different weights depending upon what I’m doing.

Sounds like you’re expecting to haul a constant load so you could easily plan for that starting out. Try calling Deaver about part # U-402 and they can also do custom work....or All Pro. https://www.allprooffroad.com/shop/2005-tacoma-leaf-springs/

My truck is set up like this and drives and handles much better that stock in all road or off road conditions under all loads to date.

I’ve heard the same correct comments as the ones you’re gotten in this thread about my 2015 second gen when looking for advice about getting an extra 30-40 hp for towing. Lol. We are asking our trucks to give us things above and beyond what they were designed for. I’m happy to report that mine is definitely giving me it’s best service so far ..and it hasn’t even complained. Go taco! (y)

Clutch

<---Pass
What the heck are you doing on a ford forum??? Blasphemy! To the gallows!!!

Ha ha! Oooooh, we drove Fords long before I had Toyotas...Hell, I was almost kicked out of the house when I brought the first one home.

Have been looking at F250's though... (speaking of towing capacities) we have been knocking around the idea of selling everything off, and hitting the road full time. Doubtful of that will actually happen...she says stuff like that when she is frustrated at work...and I am like Hell yeah, lets **********' do it! Then next week, she'll be fine and wants to fuss around in the garden... haha!

Adventurous

Explorer
Ha ha! Oooooh, we drove Fords long before I had Toyotas...Hell, I was almost kicked out of the house when I brought the first one home.

Have been looking at F250's though... (speaking of towing capacities) we have been knocking around the idea of selling everything off, and hitting the road full time. Doubtful of that will actually happen...she says stuff like that when she is frustrated at work...and I am like Hell yeah, lets **********' do it! Then next week, she'll be fine and wants to fuss around in the garden... haha!

Women love spontaneity! Just sell the house when she's at work and when she comes home to that F250 ready to hit the road she'll thank you. Trust me. 60% of the time it works all of the time.

Clutch

<---Pass
Women love spontaneity! Just sell the house when she's at work and when she comes home to that F250 ready to hit the road she'll thank you. Trust me. 60% of the time it works all of the time.

Ha ha!

She did say we could get an Airstream (we both always wanted one)...you'll never know she might be happy to see that sitting in the driveway! (and we live about 5-10 minutes from the dealer too! :D )

I never paid too much attention to the T100, so was unsure. Forgot its' production run spanned from the late HiLuxes to the early Tacomas
It's an odd mix of parts during their transitional years for sure, but I think that's why I like it. It's a lot like the early 90s hilux I had, but wider with an extra 70 horse power and it was still meant to be used as a truck (Hence the larger payload capacity) as apposed to the modern midsize pickups, which seem more comfort oriented.
Thanks to Tim and Dave I'm back to thinking that the only thing bringing down the tacoma's payload is the suspension.
It has the same rear diff as my T100. I'm under the impression that the breaks are as good if not better in the tacoma than my T100. And I've never heard any stories of the tacoma frame folding under load.

With how worn out my T100 is after it's recent voyage to Panama and back I would likely be upgrading all the springs in it if I keep it, so putting that money/effort into a tacoma with 125000 less miles on it is fine with me.

Decisions, decisions

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
It's an odd mix of parts during their transitional years for sure, but I think that's why I like it. It's a lot like the early 90s hilux I had, but wider with an extra 70 horse power and it was still meant to be used as a truck (Hence the larger payload capacity) as apposed to the modern midsize pickups, which seem more comfort oriented.
Thanks to Tim and Dave I'm back to thinking that the only thing bringing down the tacoma's payload is the suspension.
It has the same rear diff as my T100. I'm under the impression that the breaks are as good if not better in the tacoma than my T100. And I've never heard any stories of the tacoma frame folding under load.

With how worn out my T100 is after it's recent voyage to Panama and back I would likely be upgrading all the springs in it if I keep it, so putting that money/effort into a tacoma with 125000 less miles on it is fine with me.

Decisions, decisions

Just wanted to note my serious dissatisfaction with the brakes in my stock 2015 2nd gen TRD Pro off road. Horrible! Thought there must’ve been a bad adjustment or a mechanical failure of some sort. I checked it and narrowed the possibility to a proportional valve but a good (award winning) dealer mechanic checked everything and it was to spec. Drove another on the lot and same issues. What solved the problem for me was the Icon system and the first 650#coils up front. I got the Icon system installed and the bigger tires and now everything is perfect. Next 700#coils after my winch bumper and it got even better! I didn’t have to change the brakes or anything, only installed longer better brake lines. So, don’t freak out if you get a stock 2nd gen, and the brakes drive you crazy....just make sure your passengers buckle up before any low speed stops. Your suspension mods and tires will likely resolve this issue. (y)

Clutch

<---Pass

Decisions, decisions

I have the same engine in my truck as the T100, and have OME HD's...can't even imagine having a constant load of 2000 lbs in the bed. Maybe a 20 minute drive to the dump once or twice a year. And even then I would toss it on a trailer.

With being on the road for 3 years, think I would want something fresher than your T100....yeah I know we all love our trucks..but in the end it is only a vehicle, don't think I would put any money into it, might be time to move on. Don't think I would look at Tacomas either, because of their popularity....people are awfully proud of them.

I mentioned it before, but I would go with a Nissan Frontier...basically the same as a Tacoma, more powerful engine, less popular...so plenty out there with low miles for reasonable prices. Plus the platform is used world wide maybe not the engine and trans but most of the chassis and suspension are.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...e=true&sort=relevance&stkTypId=28881&zc=83607

Then again, in all reality if it was me...would buy a 3/4-1 ton and leave it as stock as possible. And not try to make a midsize into something it is not. I like to be at about twice the capacity of what I am hauling...3/4-1 ton wouldn't even notice that you had 2000 lbs in the bed. Where the Tacoma is going to be struggling.

Just wanted to note my serious dissatisfaction with the brakes in my stock 2015 2nd gen TRD Pro off road. Horrible! Thought there must’ve been a bad adjustment or a mechanical failure of some sort. I checked it and narrowed the possibility to a proportional valve but a good (award winning) dealer mechanic checked everything and it was to spec. Drove another on the lot and same issues. What solved the problem for me was the Icon system and the first 650#coils up front. I got the Icon system installed and the bigger tires and now everything is perfect. Next 700#coils after my winch bumper and it got even better! I didn’t have to change the brakes or anything, only installed longer better brake lines. So, don’t freak out if you get a stock 2nd gen, and the brakes drive you crazy....just make sure your passengers buckle up before any low speed stops. Your suspension mods and tires will likely resolve this issue. (y)

For a truck that is going to see world travel, probably shy away from Icons as their service interval is 30-40K miles. And go with OME, something far more simpler.

Really just needs to get a bigger truck and leave it as stock as possible.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
....it was still meant to be used as a truck (Hence the larger payload capacity) as apposed to the modern midsize pickups, which seem more comfort oriented.

I know most people are telling you to get a 1ton truck if you are going to haul 2k lbs. But that is risky in having an inherently less reliable vehicle that doesn't have an overseas equivalent.

For some reason the overseas models of the little trucks all have payloads of >2k lb. Really. Look up some reviews. I know the Hilux has a different frame than the Tacoma (Tacoma has more torsional flex), but the Frontier and Navara both have fully boxed frames. Are the foreign models really beefed up that much, or is it mainly a tire and suspension difference? Or is it just a difference in how they rate them? I wonder about brakes, bearings, and other things that would be difficult to upgrade. Springs, shocks, and tires are easy.

The payload ratings are not safety ratings. I have a '86 Toyota in addition to the Tundra, and they have the same payload rating. But there is no comparison in how comfortably and safely they can handle that load. And even overloaded these new trucks will handle, brake, and accelerate far better than your typical RV. So what does payload mean? I'd guess it is the manufacturers warranty and liability rating, and it's based on the pure stock configuration. And since all the 1/2 tons are designed to be "cars" in the US, they have street tires and soft springs. Of course if you overload you may run into some weak links in the frame and bearings.

If I was you I'd look into a Frontier, just because good used Toyotas are so pricey. And dig into the differences between a Frontier and Navara that would account for the payload difference. And look at the engine and drivetrain options in the Frontier that you'd be mostly likely to find overseas.

Also, regarding the 2k lbs. Might you be able to pare that down a bit? Are you building your own camper, or are you planning on a slide-in, or....?

bkg

Explorer
I mentioned it before, but I would go with a Nissan Frontier...basically the same as a Tacoma, more powerful engine, less popular...so plenty out there with low miles for reasonable prices. Plus the platform is used world wide maybe not the engine and trans but most of the chassis and suspension are.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...e=true&sort=relevance&stkTypId=28881&zc=83607

Rented a Frontier on a trip to Jersey one time. It definitely reminded me of a truck. I'd give it a "love it or hate it" rating - I wasn't a fan of the interior, but I do like the exterior.

Clutch

<---Pass
Rented a Frontier on a trip to Jersey one time. It definitely reminded me of a truck. I'd give it a "love it or hate it" rating - I wasn't a fan of the interior, but I do like the exterior.

One of the guys we ride with has one...good little truck, he has it for years and years, thing won't die. Interior is kinda meh, but who cares... it is going to get beat to death.

There are tons of them with low miles and in the price range. Guess what Travleing 2gether has to ask himself is...is it about the trip or about the vehicle?

I know most people are telling you to get a 1ton truck if you are going to haul 2k lbs. But that is risky in having an inherently less reliable vehicle that doesn't have an overseas equivalent.

In reality of reality...I would do a "When in Rome" and fly in and buy what is popular there. Africa, Asia, Middle East, Europe etc... has Hiluxes, Navaras, Rangers, LC70s....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz