INEOS Grenadier

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing pics and insights, [mention]Beowulf [/mention]

What was your sense of ground clearance? I’ve gone back and forth playing with the build tool since putting my reservation in (I know we have plenty of time), can’t tell if I’d like to slider steps, imagining I will if I put 35s on, though from photos they look to hang low and protrude in an awkward way. Tough to tell from just photos. Highly doubt they’ll be any events here in Medford, OR anytime soon

The ground clearance was good. He stated it was 10.X", but I can't remember exactly. Besides that I was very happy with how high stuff like the oil pan and transmission pan were. The axle pumpkins were squared off on the bottom and I believe the front was high pinon. All the lower control arm bracing was complete overkill. Completely boxed in. Nice ramping angles. The shocks mounts were nice and tucked as well.

What really surprised me was the beef on the steering components. It made my upgraded Currie Steering on the Jeep look tiny. Just amazing.

The lowest point underneath was the gas tank. It started nice and tight above the frame and slow sloped down to the same height of the lower control arm on the passenger side. The skid was very stout. Not just a cover, but a full skid.

There was plenty of room next to the drive shaft on the driver's side for an Aux tank. Maybe around 15ish gallons.

Also, the exhaust was HUGE. Way overkill for the displacement of an I-6 turbo. There is plenty of room to put a muffler in-line and remove the HUGE unit in the rear. It is just like the JL exhaust. Once that rear muffler was removed, another tank could be placed there.

Payload was not disclosed
Towing will be around 7700lbs.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I thought the build quality was fantastic underneath and on the outside. Sadly, on the inside it was definitely and early prototype with 3D printed parts and switches. From what was officially production, it seem great. Sadly, they covered their bases and stated, just about anything on this show vehicle could be changed before it hit the US.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
From what was officially production, it seem great. Sadly, they covered their bases and stated, just about anything on this show vehicle could be changed before it hit the US.

Hopefully it won't be too bad of a change.
I personally don't care about a diesel option as long as they bring a truck version of it.
Also 7000lb is like a mid size truck area, which is very good.

Other than a diesel option, there’s a few things missing from the description and spec sheet:
Diff and transfer ratios, actual tire size (please illuminate me if that’s published), presence of actual PTO (not electric “PTO”) and where it’s located if present.
And outside radius/diameter of brake assembly, to see if 16s will fit.
And very importantly, whether 8 speed ZF can be locked in any gear for downhill descents, for instance.

ChasingOurTrunks

Other than a diesel option, there’s a few things missing from the description and spec sheet:
Diff and transfer ratios, actual tire size (please illuminate me if that’s published), presence of actual PTO (not electric “PTO”) and where it’s located if present.
And outside radius/diameter of brake assembly, to see if 16s will fit.
And very importantly, whether 8 speed ZF can be locked in any gear for downhill descents, for instance.

I've seen in a few videos that the ZF can be locked into gear in a manual mode. I can't recall exactly which video it was in, but I remember being impressed with the control on the downhill by locking it into gear; I assumed the driver was in some kind of hill decent control mode, but it was just the gear selection that did it. I just tried finding it but no joy - I remember it started at a Land Rover dealership (of all places!) and then took them out through a forest track for a spell. If I can find it I'll edit this post accordingly.

There are two different tires available, I seem to remember that one is more road biased and one more off-road biased. Are you wondering about the stock tire sizes, or the largest tires that will fit? Bridgestone is making the stock tires: "Bridgestone will supply two sizes of Dueler AT 001 for the Grenadier: 265/70 R17 116S XL and 255/70 R18 116S XL" (according to https://whattyre.com/news/bridgestone-tyres-for-ineos-grenadier/, and I'm 99% sure this is reflected in one of "Building the Grenadier" YouTube series too which is linked at the bottom of that article). As far as biggest that will fit, I think there are pictures of one of the test vehicles on 33s and from what others have said, much bigger than that might be a challenge in terms of storage for the spare (the twin doors might not work with 35s).

I don't think they've published the final diff and trans ratios yet.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Ineos already install 35s on the one they took to Iceland. Just search Grenadier on 35s. They chose the wrong rim and tyre width, but at least it shows 35s fit.

ChasingOurTrunks

Ineos already install 35s on the one they took to Iceland. Just search Grenadier on 35s. They chose the wrong rim and tyre width, but at least it shows 35s fit.

I saw the Green on 35s mounted, but I thought there was some questions about whether a 35" spare would fit on the tire carrier on the rear door. Perhaps 35" was the max size before interference -- my memory isn't what it used to be!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
From the model I saw, a 35 will fit no problem. Sadly, it would block the camera location on that prototype. The camera was just underneath the stock tire. Anything bigger and it would most likely obscure the cameras view. The North American VP was uncertain if that would be the final production location for the camera. It could go up on top of the barn door.

ABBB

From the model I saw, a 35 will fit no problem. Sadly, it would block the camera location on that prototype. The camera was just underneath the stock tire. Anything bigger and it would most likely obscure the cameras view. The North American VP was uncertain if that would be the final production location for the camera. It could go up on top of the barn door.

From what I’ve seen of images of prototypes, there are true 35s mounted but the spare that was mounted on the rear door was a 265/70/17. Haven’t seen anywhere a 35 mounted as a spare.

I’ve probably broached this 50 times on all the forums so forgive me if you’re noticing me belabor the point but I’m praying they receive the feedback and make going to 35s easy. To trim my Colorado ZR2 Bison would require an $1800 kit plus 15-20 hours of labor plus wheels and tires. Takes too much for too many vehicles, would be nice to not have to hack this thing apart and then worry about which link in the suspension will fail next from the changes in geometry/strain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior