INEOS Grenadier

You’re certain they won’t be offering anything larger than the 31” tires from the factory? I hadn’t heard confirmation of that anywhere. I also haven’t heard that the vehicle is/is not built to easily accommodate the addition of 33s or 35s, a lift, secondary OEM flares to make room for larger tires. I will be disappointed too if at least the latter isn’t true.

Hi ABBB,

Things might have changed. but from what I've seen they have been pretty consistent about describing the tires they will offer. On the Ineos Grenadier website there is a section on wheels & tires, and they list the metric equivalent of 31s. I think this link is the right one:

Everything else is speculation: (1) what size tires will fit without rubbing on stock suspension, (2) what size spare will fit on the large rear door without blocking the small rear door (I can't imagine a 35 fitting - I've seen people post videos of the clearance and a guy just got two fingers in between the 31-inch tire and the small rear door), and (3) what size tire will fit after installing a lift (since no such lift yet exists, this is very speculative).

My point: I want a vehicle spec'd from the factory with the tires I want to run. I'm really over messing with aftermarket suspensions, dealing with rubbing, needing to re-gear to restore power and factory spec'd gear ratios, and dealing with carrying a full-size spare. With the exception of the Wrangler and Bronco, most other vehicles do not carry the spare a lot of people want to carry (Power Wagon - 35 max, and people want to run 37s, Tacoma - 32 max, and people want to run at least 33s, I won't go on).

We will soon see!

ABBB

Hi ABBB,

Things might have changed. but from what I've seen they have been pretty consistent about describing the tires they will offer. On the Ineos Grenadier website there is a section on wheels & tires, and they list the metric equivalent of 31s. I think this link is the right one:

Everything else is speculation: (1) what size tires will fit without rubbing on stock suspension, (2) what size spare will fit on the large rear door without blocking the small rear door (I can't imagine a 35 fitting - I've seen people post videos of the clearance and a guy just got two fingers in between the 31-inch tire and the small rear door), and (3) what size tire will fit after installing a lift (since no such lift yet exists, this is very speculative).

My point: I want a vehicle spec'd from the factory with the tires I want to run. I'm really over messing with aftermarket suspensions, dealing with rubbing, needing to re-gear to restore power and factory spec'd gear ratios, and dealing with carrying a full-size spare. With the exception of the Wrangler and Bronco, most other vehicles do not carry the spare a lot of people want to carry (Power Wagon - 35 max, and people want to run 37s, Tacoma - 32 max, and people want to run at least 33s, I won't go on).

We will soon see!

I hear you, brother! I’m in a Chevy ZR2 Bison and running pizza cutter 33s because I don’t (yet) want to start ripping up sheet metal, replacing flares, regearing, adjusting speedo, replacing suspension, not to mention immediately voiding my warranty. AEV offers an upfit of this vehicle for $12K. And after that it’s still a Chevy with all sorts of corners cut for manufacturer savings. Hell, it even needed new headlight bulbs right out of the gate. How horrendous is that. So yes, I would love the Grenadier to be the capable, modify-able exped vehicle of my dreams too, or at least one I don’t need to spend about 10-15K on to get it in working order just to stress it because it wasn’t designed for the parts and kind of use I have in mind.

I saw the same thing you pointed out on the build website. We’ll get more info soon once the OZ and UK build pages are shared publicly by those with reservations and who go through with purchase and customization. Fingers crossed IG has listened and is at the very least leaving room for simple mods to lift and put on bigger shoes.

I haven't seen any mention of the ordering of Grenadiers by our Australian counterparts. This link talks about an email explaining a non-refundable deposit which is being sent to Reserve holders in Australia.

ABBB

I haven't seen any mention of the ordering of Grenadiers by our Australian counterparts. This link talks about an email explaining a non-refundable deposit which is being sent to Reserve holders in Australia.

Updated configurator being launched next month for those countries where IGs will first be available. Suppose we’ll see then what will be possible.

Riptide

Explorer
The tire argument cracks me up. Fact is, the IG will probably be more capable stock than anything else available, and if we were at all honest with ourselves, most tire and suspension upgrades are for looks more than anything else. Hell, most people tear into a brand new vehicles without ever seeing if it's capable enough for their use right out of the box. I think most people would be shocked to find out, yes.

But hey, don't want to harsh your mellow. Most "overlanders" are all about appearance, and the rest think you can't venture offroad without 35" tires. And an axe.

No wonder the aftermarkets are making bank.

Then IG comes along, with their unlimited R&D budget, capable of testing every single tire available, anywhere in the world, and selects two tires that meet their rather demanding specs. And would meet ours, if we weren't so vain. And predictably, the armchair explorers are up in arms because, 35's you know!!

I'm reminded of the family that crisscrossed Africa in a MB 300 wagon, in conditions that most ExPo types will never, ever venture into with their "built" rigs.

But you do you, boo.

ABBB

The tire argument cracks me up. Fact is, the IG will probably be more capable stock than anything else available, and if we were at all honest with ourselves, most tire and suspension upgrades are for looks more than anything else. Hell, most people tear into a brand new vehicles without ever seeing if it's capable enough for their use right out of the box. I think most people would be shocked to find out, yes.

But hey, don't want to harsh your mellow. Most "overlanders" are all about appearance, and the rest think you can't venture offroad without 35" tires. And an axe.

Then IG comes along, with their unlimited R&D budget, capable of testing every single tire available, anywhere in the world, and selects two tires that meet their rather demanding specs. And would meet ours, if we weren't so vain. And predictably, the armchair explorers are up in arms because, 35's you know!!

I'm reminded of the family that crisscrossed Africa in a MB 300 wagon, in conditions that most ExPo types will never, ever venture into with their "built" rigs.

But you do you, boo.

You make it sound as though that bc Ineos isn’t offering options of upsizing tires that doing so is somehow an exercise only in vanity. There are countless trails 20 minutes from my front door that 10” of ground clearance and 31” tires simply won’t cut it. You’ll end up high centered, with damaged parts, or having your buddy winch you every 10 minutes.

You can hate on “overlanders” all you want, but lots of people interested in the IG are out and about bc of their love of the activity of exploring and/or making their vehicles more capable and not for a sense of identity, not that there’s anything wrong with anyone doing what brings them happiness or they believe is necessary in their personal process of self-discovery. If big tires do it for you, you should get yourself some big tires.

Further, you conveniently left out one significant factor in the development of the IG, and that’s economics. You, and we, have no idea why they made the decisions they did. It’s a complex mix of application and utility across infinite use cases. I don’t disagree that a vehicle is often designed to operate with the equipment that comes on it from the manufacturer, but not ever vehicle is designed in that manner and I think many people expect the IG to be a platform for personalization that other vehicles are not.

Also, if 35s weren’t useful then IG wouldn’t have put them on for testing in Sweden and South Africa, two places which they publicized this kind of use. Who knows how many other locations they tested this in and whether they tested it as a potential offering or anticipating that people would make this very mod. Perhaps even Sir Jim himself.

Last edited:

Grassland

Why the front solid axle, if 31s are the tire of choice?
Most manufacturers went away from SFA to save money in production and increase ride quality. For any actual rock crawlers, there are benefits to a solid axle, but as far as my experience goes, being able to easily lift larger amounts to fit a bigger tire are the main benefits outside of load capacity.
TBH my 2008 Ranger and 2014 F150 both took a 1.5-2" lift in front and handled 2" larger than stock diameter tires.
If it's supposed to be a rugged commercial grade vehicle, why a BMW engine?
If it's supposed to be utilitarian, why be so expensive?

I like the looks of this, and the actual switches and dials aka tactile feedback controls. I like the idea of a utilitarian SUV that can handle more than 4 people and some duffles.
But when I can buy multiple domestic or japanese SUVs for far less money with the same capabilities (outside of payload) and better aftermarket, who is this vehicle being designed for?

Riptide

Explorer
You make it sound as though that bc Ineos isn’t offering options of upsizing tires that doing so is somehow an exercise only in vanity. There are countless trails 20 minutes from my front door that 10” of ground clearance and 31” tires simply won’t cut it. You’ll end up high centered, with damaged parts, or having your buddy winch you every 10 minutes.

You can hate on “overlanders” all you want, but lots of people interested in the IG are out and about bc of their love of the activity of exploring and/or making their vehicles more capable and not for a sense of identity, not that there’s anything wrong with anyone doing what brings them happiness or they believe is necessary in their personal process of self-discovery. If big tires do it for you, you should get yourself some big tires.

Further, you conveniently left out one significant factor in the development of the IG, and that’s economics. You, and we, have no idea why they made the decisions they did. It’s a complex mix of application and utility across infinite use cases. I don’t disagree that a vehicle is often designed to operate with the equipment that comes on it from the manufacturer, but not ever vehicle is designed in that manner and I think many people expect the IG to be a platform for personalization that other vehicles are not.

Also, if 35s weren’t useful then IG wouldn’t have put them on for testing in Sweden and South Africa, two places which they publicized this kind of use. Who knows how many other locations they tested this in and whether they tested it as a potential offering or anticipating that people would make this very mod. Perhaps even Sir Jim himself.

No doubt, and there's trails like that near me too. But the arc of "exploration vehicle" is huge, between truggies and MB-300 station wagons, and between dirt roads and Rubicon Trail or Camel Trophy. No vehicle, not even the IG, can be all things to all people for all conditions. My point was more about how damn amazing most vehicles are right out of the box, with good technique and common sense and a little bit of adventurous spirit.

I drive a LC200, and a Suzuki Samurai; almost polar opposites. The Sami is astoundingly capable with it's 60 hp and 29" tires, as well as very reliable and simple. It's a veritable mountain goat. But, you pack light, and learn to embrace all things manual, and enjoy them slowly. The LC200 is also very capable right out of the box, almost to the point of being boring. But a very comfortable boring. In my opinion, cleaning a trail in a super-built vehicle is almost as much fun as working out at the gym to go beat up on first-graders. Whoopie-doo, right? Those are the kind of people I like to come up behind in my lil' Sami trucklet. My David-and-Goliath complex, I guess.

When it's just me, I choose the Sami. I don't mind roughing the drive a little, since I'm roughing the accommodations anyway by camping. And it's fun to see what I can do with that 60 hp!

The IG is an expedition-type vehicle, in much the same vein as something Tom Sheppard (of Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide fame) might choose, instead of a 460 G-Wagen; no 35's needed or probably wanted. But that's not the American way; we'd rather spend big dosh on huge tires and snorkels and Rotopax (and an ax!) than a few bucks on actual vehicle training (or at least buying Tom's books) in getting the most out of what they have already. But, as you stated, I guess it brings them happiness.

I think the IG will be a fantastic truck when it finally arrives; it certainly seems likes it's getting tested very well. And you're right; they are almost certainly trying to balance what it needs to be vs what it could be.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer

But you do you, boo.
I know what your saying and don't totally disagree with the main point, but it's most certainly is not going to be "more capable stock than anything else available" when we have things like Jeep Rubicons, Bronco's and full size trucks with factory lockers, huge payload and more capacity.

Have they announced payload capcity for US yet? I've seen the 1000kg figure for overseas markets, wouldn't surprise me if it was signfificantly lower here stateside.

Tom Shep was a huge advocate of normal tires, he ran 265/75r16's on his G460 when he got stuck in limp-home mode a million miles in the middle of the desert.

Riptide

Explorer
I know what your saying and don't totally disagree with the main point, but it's most certainly is not going to be "more capable stock than anything else available" when we have things like Jeep Rubicons, Bronco's and full size trucks with factory lockers, huge payload and more capacity.

Very good point. How lucky we are to live in an age where such amazing vehicles are already sitting at the dealer, with a full factory warranty!

Checked out the prototype today in person

1650401352308.png

I think they've done a great job - its shorter than a Gladiator, a little longer than a Wrangler. Engine is the BMW B58 retuned for torque as opposed to horsepower, and to run on 87 instead of 93. Visibility is awesome. Rear doors reminds me of an older Nissan Patrol - and their targeting the Wranger Rubicon/4Runner TRD Pro price wise ( and definitely below the Land Cruiser )

The doors open and close like a G-Wagen - bank vault feeling included. They're also partnering up with aftermarket so you can order off road components and have them dealer installed similar to the Bronco - and covered under warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz