Inferno.Overland's '04 Tundra DC Build

Go4Lo

Explorer
Not much to update other than we finally had some snow here in NC so we had a good time playing in the Tundy. :smiley_drive:

IMG_7010.jpg

IMG_6977.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
PrInSu Design Cab Rack

So I got lucky and scored a used Tacoma Prinsu Design Studio Cabrac off Craigslist last weekend. I spent a LOT of time cutting down, re-drilling and drilling some more but I think I've finally got it to fit nicely on the Tundy. As you can see in the pic below the roof profile is very close, however the drip rails on the Tundra are 3" wider than the Taco so that's just the tip of where the fun begins.

Rack is in the shop now getting a fresh coat of paint. Once it's cured out and the hardware replaced with some new stainless bolts it will bolted to the Tundy via 10 new holes in the roof drip rails :Wow1:

This is all I have for now...

IMG_7070.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
Nice! How'd you attach it?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

I'll be staying tuned for how it's mounted.

I'll snap some pics of the mounting once it stops raining and I can actually finish installing it.

In short I removed a section of the drip rail rubber strip and drilled 5 holes through the roof on each side to insert 1/4" rivnuts nut. The Tacoma's have these installed when they roll off the line so adding a rack is easy. Not the case with our Tundras...

rickashay

Explorer
Wow awesome work on the Prinsu. I was actually in contact with Zach early in my Tundra build and he was willing to make a model for the 1st Gen Tundra. By the time I was ready to pull the trigger, his brand had exploded and he no longer had the time to work with me on a Tundra version. Glad to see one atop the roof of your truck and very interested to see how you mounted it. I've got one coming for the 4Runner and am very excited to throw it on!

Love this Tundy!

Go4Lo

Explorer
Wow awesome work on the Prinsu. I was actually in contact with Zach early in my Tundra build and he was willing to make a model for the 1st Gen Tundra. By the time I was ready to pull the trigger, his brand had exploded and he no longer had the time to work with me on a Tundra version. Glad to see one atop the roof of your truck and very interested to see how you mounted it. I've got one coming for the 4Runner and am very excited to throw it on!

Love this Tundy!

Thanks! Hope to find time this weekend finish it up.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Finished painting the rack and installing between rain showers this weekend and put the AutoHome back on the topper. The two fit together nicely.:wings:

IMG_7102.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

Tight squeeze between the tent and the rack :Wow1: Don't mind the missing bolt in the back foot. I screwed up one of the rivnuts so I'm a bolt short right now.

IMG_7098.jpg

Last edited:

Go4Lo

Explorer
Very nice. I plan to get a cab rack soon so I can run some limb risers. Did you end up using rivnuts?

I had to reverse the side bars (mount the feet outboard instead of inboard) in order for the rack to be wide enough, then drill new mounting holes. There are 5 mounting holes in each drip rail on the truck with 1/4"x20 rivnuts.

It's hard to tell in the pic but the front of my rack is wider than the rear in order to follow the drip rail line better. Because of this I to cut down the crossbars and re-tap them to the appropriate width. Not sure I'd go through all the trouble again as it ended up being much more involved than I anticipated but I'm happy with the end result so I guess it was worth it.

HighPlains

Observer
Looks good! I really like the approach youre taking with your build. Its hard to tell exactly how close the rack and tent are in the pics, any concerns for contact with flex?

Go4Lo

Explorer
Looks good! I really like the approach youre taking with your build. Its hard to tell exactly how close the rack and tent are in the pics, any concerns for contact with flex?

Thanks! Its coming along. I have many more ideas just not enough time. There is 1/2 - 3/4" between the rack and the tent. It may end up being to tight if so I'll have to add some risers to the tent mounting.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Driveway Glamping

I decided to take advantage of the unseasonal 70* day here in NC yesterday and open up the tent. Let her air out a bit after being closed up for the last month or so. Looking forward to getting out in the woods and really testing it out. For now all I have is a driveway glamping shot :elkgrin:

fullsizeoutput_9f0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz