Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard for Long Term Travel

zelseman

Observer
My wife and I are looking at swapping our creek kayaks for inflatable SUPs. We like the idea of storing them inside and clearing real estate on the roof.

Budget is between 500-750 each and we would like an all around boat for mostly flat water.

Who hear uses an iSUP on the road?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I replaced my hard sup with an inflatable BoteHD. That model isn’t over you’re budget but I’m just here to say that the concept of taking one for traveling works extremely well. These things are tougher than the hard fiberglass models I think.

zelseman

Observer
I was thinking the same thing last year, and this is likely the best deal for such:
https://www.costco.com/Body-Glove-P...p-Paddle-Board-Package.product.100408628.html
Thanks for the link! We are looking at getting a Costco membership anyways...hmmm.

I replaced my hard sup with an inflatable BoteHD. That model isn’t over you’re budget but I’m just here to say that the concept of taking one for traveling works extremely well. These things are tougher than the hard fiberglass models I think.
That has kinda been our though process. Compared to 11' creek kayaks, the ease of packing, storing, and using seems to really outweigh the performance issues compared to rigid boats. We had the kayaks on our skoolie from April-October of 2018 and took them down a handful of times.

zelseman

Observer
Why not an inflatable kayak? There are some pretty good options available.
Mostly for something new. My wife is finishing up her yoga instructor certification and most anything that we did in the kayaks we can do on the paddlebord.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Mostly for something new. My wife is finishing up her yoga instructor certification and most anything that we did in the kayaks we can do on the paddlebord.

Just FYI. In any wind whatsoever, fishing is a PITA from a paddleboard. Standing up makes your body a huge sail. If the wind is calm, the visibility is awesome though. I don't know if you've been fishing from your kayaks but just wanted to throw that out there just in case.

zelseman

Observer
Just FYI. In any wind whatsoever, fishing is a PITA from a paddleboard. Standing up makes your body a huge sail. If the wind is calm, the visibility is awesome though. I don't know if you've been fishing from your kayaks but just wanted to throw that out there just in case.
I’ve had fishing yaks in the past and really enjoy them, but I don’t fish enough to justify one. We have found that we don’t often float unless it’s calm anyways.

F350joe

One way valve and more than enough ability to hold your weight should be your concerns. I’m a big guy and most inflatables taco a little, one way valve helps firm it up. There are also a few companies that make them come apart in sections. This brand is awesome but at 2k+ probably more than you are looking for but may give you an idea of what the two piece boards look like. I have had a couple of thier surfboards and they are practically bombproof. https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/events/two-piece-boards

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I have a Hobie 12' Pro Angler which works great when I put in back of Jeep, but I want to use with Chinook more for fishing so looking at either getting a trailer for it or switching to an inflatable kayak/board I can store in rig.

If I go inflatable I am looking at this Sea Eagle https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingSUPs/FS126

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
One way valve and more than enough ability to hold your weight should be your concerns. I’m a big guy and most inflatables taco a little, one way valve helps firm it up. There are also a few companies that make them come apart in sections. This brand is awesome but at 2k+ probably more than you are looking for but may give you an idea of what the two piece boards look like. I have had a couple of thier surfboards and they are practically bombproof. https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/events/two-piece-boards

A dropstitched SUP is not going to flex much at all unless you weigh considerably more than two normal adults together. My wife and I can get on mine at a combined weight of north of 300# and it feels just like it does with me on it alone.

Dropstitched inflatables are a totally different animal than a normal inflatable. They get almost rock solid at 12-15psi.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I have a Hobie 12' Pro Angler which works great when I put in back of Jeep, but I want to use with Chinook more for fishing so looking at either getting a trailer for it or switching to an inflatable kayak/board I can store in rig.

If I go inflatable I am looking at this Sea Eagle https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingSUPs/FS126

Just FYI, that thing is double the weight of most inflatable SUPs and is going to be a PITA to carry down to the water on a footpath from a campsite. If I was going to look for something that I could use a trolling motor on, it would be a full raft at not much more weight and storage size.

ottsville

Observer
A dropstitched SUP is not going to flex much at all unless you weigh considerably more than two normal adults together. My wife and I can get on mine at a combined weight of north of 300# and it feels just like it does with me on it alone.

Dropstitched inflatables are a totally different animal than a normal inflatable. They get almost rock solid at 12-15psi.

A friend who is a paddlesports rep says dropstitching is a key feature to look for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94