Inks outdoor OHV Venture teardrop???

Redman333

Adventurer
b3701b49243a83367c371fe2546f4f42.jpg

These are built here in NC which I really like. There aren't many options here on the east coast it seems. Plus they seem to be very well built.

I started over landing with a cheap coleman style tent and it did ok but then started looking at different ways to go about it. Wanting something faster and more protected from elements and be somewhat comfortable in hot and cold. I started looking at RTTs and they are ok but didn't want to eat up that much space on the roof. Then thought a trailer with an RTT on it would be nice. I was set on this for awhile and was looking at different options for trailers. Then we went camping and had high winds and it was cold so the old lady and the little one stayed home and I went on my own. Since I was on my own I decided to sleep in the land cruiser. The other couple that wet had a RTT on trailer similar to what I was wanting. They said they were ok but they could feel the wind going through the tent sometimes. I slept like a baby and couldn't even tell it was bad outside. This experience lead me to look for teardrop trailers.

My question is for those that have them can they handle a good beating. I have a 100 series land cruiser on 35s and want to push it to the limits without body damage but need a trailer that will be able to take this beater also. Are teardrops a good choice. Assuming I make sure the particular model is built well.

Here's the tow rig
a85c699e81ea6f32e36ef55b0c61fbb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michaelbestlynd

That's a great question, and difficult to answer. One man's "pushing it to the limits" is another mans freeway. I have the InkaOutdoor Venture OHV. I haven't been on anything I'd call extreme, but have done a lot of very rough fire road, that included some 12-15" ledges without issue. Just the other weekend I went up Schnelby Hill road out of Sedona, and purposefully hit a few ledges, no problem. It handles really well at speed on fire road and washboards.

The Inka has skids and tubular protection against easy hits, but it not really meant to be beat on. It has good ground clearance though, and doesn't drag easily. I haven't turned around yet because I was towing the TD.

I would think a teardrop would have a higher center of gravity than a trailer, which could be of concern if you do a lot of off camber stuff.

All that being said, sleeping in a nice quiet cabin when the winds blowing and the temps are in the 40's sure is better than my old tent!

Redman333

Adventurer
I didn't know 35's could fit on a Series 100

285/75/18 is what I have and no rubbing. I have an lx470 with AHC and still have high and low ranges. Once I get my front and rear bumper I'll have even a bit more room. The main close part is the front bumper.

Redman333

Adventurer
That's a great question, and difficult to answer. One man's "pushing it to the limits" is another mans freeway. I have the InkaOutdoor Venture OHV. I haven't been on anything I'd call extreme, but have done a lot of very rough fire road, that included some 12-15" ledges without issue. Just the other weekend I went up Schnelby Hill road out of Sedona, and purposefully hit a few ledges, no problem. It handles really well at speed on fire road and washboards.

The Inka has skids and tubular protection against easy hits, but it not really meant to be beat on. It has good ground clearance though, and doesn't drag easily. I haven't turned around yet because I was towing the TD.

I would think a teardrop would have a higher center of gravity than a trailer, which could be of concern if you do a lot of off camber stuff.

All that being said, sleeping in a nice quiet cabin when the winds blowing and the temps are in the 40's sure is better than my old tent!

How do you like yours so far. Is there anything you would have done different after owning it now.

Yeah I understand that extreme can be very relative but what your saying you've done is probably the most I'd do with mine. I ha e a big bodied vehicle and don't plan on going through anything that's going to damage the body of my truck. I talked to Mike today and he said that basically if my vehicle isn't getting body damage the trailer should be fine with the exception of some ransoms that can't be avoided or fore seen.

Michaelbestlynd

So far so good. I've been all over AZ (Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson, etc), and into Cali at Yosemite and Sequoia NF and everything has performed flawless.

What would I do differently...not sure. To date, we haven't used the AC/Heat and generator that much. But we haven't gone through the summer yet either. The hot water heater is a must, IMHO. Great for dishes on a cool morning, or for a quick hose down after a bike ride.

I think you'll be fine with most trails that don't include steep climbs/descents. Dragging $20K behind you ups the ante on how sure you want to be about making those hills without issue.

Another Expedition Teardrop Option

Redman333, Since you are also in the SE I wanted to let you know of another Expedition Teardrop Option: Our BRX1.
We build these by hand in Lewisville, NC. It comes standard with Timbren 3500lb axle-less suspension, and almost 20" of ground clearance.

rsz_img_0061-1-1024x682.jpg
We were a feature exhibitor at the Overland Expo East this past fall in Asheville.
Let me know if you have any questions or would like to check one out in person.

Redman333

Adventurer
Redman333, Since you are also in the SE I wanted to let you know of another Expedition Teardrop Option: Our BRX1.
We build these by hand in Lewisville, NC. It comes standard with Timbren 3500lb axle-less suspension, and almost 20" of ground clearance.

View attachment 382453
We were a feature exhibitor at the Overland Expo East this past fall in Asheville.
Let me know if you have any questions or would like to check one out in person.

Hey I was actually wanting to come see you guys and check out your trailers. We go that way all the time. The GFs family lives in walnut cove which is pretty close to you. Would definitely be interested in coming to check out your trailers.

Hey I was actually wanting to come see you guys and check out your trailers. We go that way all the time. The GFs family lives in walnut cove which is pretty close to you. Would definitely be interested in coming to check out your trailers.

Walnut Cove is very close... The picture above was taken at Hanging Rock. We hope to move to our new shop in Lewisville in Feb. Have just launched our new website; brxtrailers . Give us a shout next time you are headed this way. We have several in-process now. 336-383-1001.

Would love for you to stop by anytime. Just give us a shout!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke