INSIDE THE FACTORY THAT ONLY BUILDS WHITE TOYOTAS

DaveNay

Adventurer
They look like stormtroopers, although the military analogy is misplaced. Endless ranks, tiers and rows of Toyotas, each and every one a gleaming, pristine white. But these, although tucked away in a secret underground bunker, are armed only with implacable reliability and fearsome durability.

That white Land Cruiser you saw on the news last night? Chances are it came through here. The back of shot cars seen in every report from war zones and aid programmes to disaster relief and third world development projects? At one time they probably called this home. Around 650 vehicles – more specifically 650 white Toyotas – leave here every month destined for global hotspots. Welcome to Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings (TGS), the world’s most remarkable car dealership.

Inside the factory that only builds white Toyotas | Top Gear

billiebob

Can organizations use them on US roadways?
Often military spec vehicles get a pass on the safety and emissions regulations which restrict what we normal citizens can buy. It is also the reason many states and provinces will not register an ex military vehicle for anything except "parade use".

Same thing with the J8 built in Egypt for military use. A Wrangler with a Dana 60 rear axle that will tow more and haul more than any USA built half ton.

factory.jpg

Last edited:

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
They look like standard 79 series Toyota Land Cruisers that anyone in Oz can buy in a variety of colours and body styles.
LandCruiser 70 | Single, Dual Cab, Wagon, Troop Carrier | Toyota AU
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Difference is that the 70s come with HZs in them, whilst you can still get a Prado with a 5L

86scotty

Cynic
Kinda bullcrap that any organization can seemingly order these up, but not private citizens.

There is some place in the SE U.S. that imports or sells these or whatever. Someone told me the name once but I can't remember. It's fairly common to see a flatbed truck hauling them in my area. Sorry I can't tell you more but someone here might know. Surely someone on ih8mud would know.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Nope, they all get the 4.5L V8 diesel in Oz.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

What I meant was that the difference was that the TGS ones came with 1HZ and the Prados came with the 5LE rather that the 1VD (no-one wants VD....). Missed a few words out... head has been concentrating on lots of words recently.

al_burpe

Observer
Kinda bullcrap that any organization can seemingly order these up, but not private citizens.
I work for an international NGO that has bought from these guys, and I am pretty sure they don't sell to any organization. They have a deal with Toyota to sell only NGOs and the UN at a fairly discounted price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier