Instant tent or Normal Tent?

Mizanrahman

Which one would be the best choice for camping? In some website, They said Instant tent is the best option but others are saying normal one. I am totally confused. Do you have any idea about Both of them?
Thanks in Advance

krick3tt

Adventurer
Not sure what you mean by instant tent. Have a specific name? Like all things it would probably come down to personal preference and price.

Mizanrahman

Not sure what you mean by the instant tent. Have a specific name? Like all things, it would probably come down to personal preference and price.
There is some tent that called instant tent. It is easy to set up. I actually don't know much about it.

TylerA23

After using a “normal tent” forever I just ordered the Gazelle T4. I was spending too much time setting up rather than enjoying family time.

The gazelle t4 was highly recommend by many, so I’m looking forward to getting it tomorrow and trying it out

Bobzdar

Observer
Depends on your style of camping. Do you set up a base camp for a few days and then go from there? Spend time in your tent when not sleeping (ie in bad weather or to eat/relax)? Move locations often? If you move locations often or only use the tent for sleeping and nothing else, the instant tents are nice because you're not spending a lot of time setting up/taking down every day. But, if you set up a base camp and then live out of that for days at a time and spend time in it in poor weather or to read/eat/relax, I prefer regular tents as they come in a lot more shapes and sizes.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I can speak to the ease of the instant tent specifically the Coleman Insta Tent. It has many good features namely ease, speed of setup and size. Perhaps not as weather proof as others but very serviceable non the less. Regardless of which tent you pick you will at times wish you had a different one much like many pieces of gear we all use. What's important is that you get out and use which ever one (or two or 3) you get.

gringo m

Observer
I have the Coleman 6 man insta-tent. I like it. Very easy and quick, up and down. As with most tents, they're comfortable with half of the rated person capacity. I've heard good things about the Gazelle tents too.

gunsandgearnetwork

Like others have said it depends on what your end goal is when it comes to a tent. Some "regular" tents are easier to setup than others. A Kodiak Canvas tent is fairly easy to setup and is a bombproof lifetime 4 season tent. The Gazelle pod style tents are easy to setup but are not going to be as durable. Look at reviews of any tent you are considering and see what others are saying about quality, setup time, durability, etc.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Another plus for the 6 person Coleman insta-tent is a center ht of 6' plus allowing standing.

frans

Adventurer
Insta-tent seems to be the term for a new type of tent that has the poles built in. Simply grab a part of it and it self raises and the set up is done.

I have a couple of friends with them. They are slick for sure.
My complaint is that they are heavy and bulky to store. Definitely for vehicle camping.
The other issue is that I have not seen one yet that is truly waterproof

Laps

I have a storage room full of camping and backpacking gear. I have numerous tents from small sub 2 lb to large teepee style to a canvas wall tent. My next tent will be an Oztent. It is very well constructed and sturdy and is close to being an "insta tent" in setup time involved.

MOguy

Explorer
I always find it entertaining to watch people fight with their tent. I don't want to be one of those guys struggling to set up my tent. The one I have now my isn't too difficult and my son and I have mastered setting it up but it is going to have to replaced soon. I really like the idea of these insta tents.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I always find it entertaining to watch people fight with their tent. I don't want to be one of those guys struggling to set up my tent. The one I have now my isn't too difficult and my son and I have mastered setting it up but it is going to have to replaced soon. I really like the idea of these insta tents.

...Just need to be smarter than the tent...

The Coleman instant tent looks easy but advertising vids always need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I always use a ground tarp (not shown in the vids (takes extra time) ...I also don't remember seeing an adequate rain fly, stakes or tie downs in the Coleman vid on youtube (how about an awning?)

I normally spend more time arranging and unpacking gear/seting up camp, than I do setting up the tent.
Before selecting a tent I would ask;
Can I stand upright inside?
Are all seams taped/well sealed?
Is the door opening a trip hazard?
Are the zippers heavy duty enough?
Does it come with a heavy & complete rain fly? (umbrella style/open sided rain flies do not work well for me)... Is a good rain fly even available or will i need to make/ have one made (expensive)?
Can the screened sections (vents, doors and windows be covered) to make it rain, wind and snow proof?
How sturdy/many are the stake/tie down points? (will it blow away?)

I agree the tent looks tempting, at first glance... but I would want more info.

Enjoy!

WOODY2

Adventurer

The Coleman instant tent looks easy but advertising vids always need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I always use a ground tarp (not shown in the vids (takes extra time) ...I also don't remember seeing an adequate rain fly, stakes or tie downs in the Coleman vid on youtube (how about an awning?)

I normally spend more time arranging and unpacking gear/seting up camp, than I do setting up the tent.
Does it come with a heavy & complete rain fly? (umbrella style/open sided rain flies do not work well for me)... Is a good rain fly even available or will i need to make/ have one made (expensive)?
Can the screened sections (vents, doors and windows be covered) to make it rain, wind and snow proof?

Enjoy!
All very good points to consider. Like many other facets of our hobby one item rarely fills all the needs and we ultimately need to add up the pros and cons to make a decision on which piece of gear to get knowing darn well that we will lust after some other similar item. When you're out and about ask others about their gear and what they like and don't like as opposed to reading an advertisement?

MOguy

Explorer

Enjoy!

I am somewhat interested in this tent also, it's a hundred fifty to two hundred dollar tent so it may not me everything you were wanting But it's far setting it up I found this video. According to the lady in the video she is larger than most people, she had no problems putting it up or taking it down. She makes it look easy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior