Instant tent or Normal Tent?

WOODY2

Adventurer
Costco had them for $99 a while back, I figured if it wasn't easy I could return it. They due come up on sale frequently. There are a few things that will make takedown easier. A cup of your favorite morning beverage between #1 and #2 helps a bunch.
  1. Leave a couple of widows down to let air escape
  2. Place the collapsed tent on a table or raised surface to compress to get back into sack, a couple of straps really helps.
  3. Expand the sack per directions (cutting label)

Daniel-J

An instant tent is when you force someone to quickly assemble it and look at the process? :)
You may be interested in these options. Now I myself choose from them after my rodents destroyed my tent :(

reaver

I have a 4 person coleman instant tent that I've used twice now, and I really like it. I've not used it in bad weather yet, so I can't speak to its weather proofing. The seams are definitely taped though. You're supposed to be able to use it in the rain, without the fly, but I'd recommend getting the fly anyways.

These tents have some trade offs though. Yes, they're bulky and heavy. However, they're easy to set up. I bought it mainly for the speed of setup. I can have the entire tent up, staked and tied down in about 5 minutes. It took me over 30 minutes with the dome tent I was using before. Domes are fine for normal stationary camping, but when moving every day, are a royal PITA for me.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I use a SHIFTPOD tent.

Shiftpod is not backpack portable tent as are some other instant tents however it's a great tent in the hot Summer, cold Winter and most importantly to me in the wind. Easily set up in 45 seconds or less. I use it for camping, music festivals, car shows etc. Works great for all types of different events.

Expensive?

Yes!

Worth it?

Yes!

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
We have a Coleman Instant Tent and love it. Very easy to set up, sturdy, and packs fairly well and small. The built in poles and rain cover is the only way for me to go now.

I usually move each night or only stay 2 nights maximum, so the quick set up and tear down is very ideal for me.

MOguy

Explorer
I replied to this post a while back and have recently bought an insta-tent. I have a core 9 person, it was about $200 dollars. It setups up and takes down easy. In the pic below it was raining pretty hard so I have a tarp over it.

comfy camp.jpg

another picture. I have timed myself and I can set it up by myself in under 90 seconds.
tent.jpg

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Instant tents suck in high winds.
I was / am worried about this especially being a bigger tent. It the poles get bent on an insta tent they will be trashed. Mine has been in some decent winds but with tarp up. So far so good.

CSG

Explorer
Here's my "instant tent" ;)

31873677857_36317a52a3_h.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior