Insulating CampOvrlnd pop-up truck topper.

VanDominator13

Observer
I’ve been talking to Jay at CampOvrlnd and I’m very close to placing and order for one of his Aluminium pop-op truck toppers for my Tundra.
https://campovrlnd.com/
37c64eff2766f8709dcba306f4819bcc.png

I’m starting to go over some ideas for how to build it out. Mostly how to best insulate it, or if it’s even worth trying to insulate. I mainly need something to help with the heat here in CA.
The way it’s built looks like it would be pretty easy to cut eps foam board insulation and fit it into the gaps between the frame tubing on the walls and roof. Then cover it all up with some Alumalite or a similar lightweight material with some rivnuts and button head screws. Does this sound like a viable plan? Am I missing any crucial details?
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You need to look at custom van builds or camper van builds for this project. You need a thermal barrier between your interior walls and the hot exterior metal, a gap of air that can circulate next to the body. Foam board, pink or blue, should be glued in otherwise it can squeak against metal. I'd suggest you use reflextic foil and follow the directions, don't glue it to the exterior wall like most seem to do as it needs an air space.

If you attach a wall to those frames you will have a thermal bridge directly on the interior wall. Use battens, thin wood strips, and insulate over those. Doing it right will take up interior space, it's a trade off. Also plan your wiring before putting up walls.

Reflextic is also a vapor barrier, you will need a vent fan and don't put it directly over the bed, most leak sometime and you'll have a wet bed, perhaps mold etc.

If I were serious about fighting extreme heat or cold I wouldn't start with an aluminum cap, I'd go fiberglass with good insulated windows.

The reflextic can go against canvas. Might consider an interior cloth layer and sandwich the foil, and snap it up on the canvas sides. :)

Last edited:

VanDominator13

Observer
You need to look at custom van builds or camper van builds for this project. You need a thermal barrier between your interior walls and the hot exterior metal, a gap of air that can circulate next to the body. Foam board, pink or blue, should be glued in otherwise it can squeak against metal. I'd suggest you use reflextic foil and follow the directions, don't glue it to the exterior wall like most seem to do as it needs an air space.

If you attach a wall to those frames you will have a thermal bridge directly on the interior wall. Use battens, thin wood strips, and insulate over those. Doing it right will take up interior space, it's a trade off. Also plan your wiring before putting up walls.

Reflextic is also a vapor barrier, you will need a vent fan and don't put it directly over the bed, most leak sometime and you'll have a wet bed, perhaps mold etc.

If I were serious about fighting extreme heat or cold I wouldn't start with an aluminum cap, I'd go fiberglass with good insulated windows.

The reflextic can go against canvas. Might consider an interior cloth layer and sandwich the foil, and snap it up on the canvas sides. :)

Thanks for the advise, I’ll do some research on the van builds.
Looks like there is a lot of information out there with the popularity of the sprinter vans.
As much as I’d love to go with a pre-built insulated camper or build a fiberglass shell, time and money are contributing factors.
The appeal of the Ovrlnd camper is the price point, that I can still use my truck to haul things and that it looks like it would be (relatively) easy to do a basic DIY interior.

D

Deleted member 9101

If it was me I would put 1x1 PT wood furring strips (stops thermal bridging and provide room for more insulation) along the framing and then have the inside sprayed with foam insulation.

Last edited by a moderator:

s.e.charles

If it was me I would put 1x1 PT wood furring strips (stops thermal bridging and procidea room for more insulation) along the framing and then have the inside sprayed with foam insulation.
pressure treated wood is not really what should go inside. "procidea " apparently should not go anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste