Insurance for a custom expo vehicle

Wyohab

Observer
I’ve recently completed construction/fabrication of an expo vehicle based on a 2006 Dodge 2500 CTD. The vehicle is extensively modified, and my investment is many times the value of the base platform itself. Many times. I cannot find any insurance company to insure this vehicle. Responses I have received are usually along the lines of “It looks just like a truck with a steel camper shell on it. We cannot insure this for the value you are asking”.

The vehicle is similar to an Earthroamer, both in extent of modification and total cost to build. The fact I did not buy this as a completed vehicle from a known manufacturer, rather had it built by a series of custom fabricators, has resulted in all insurance companies declining interest. I’ve tried the big name insurance companies and the specialty insurance companies. All have declined interest.

I’ve attempted to re-title the vehicle as an RV, and failed in the state in which the truck is registered. Again, the excuse given was that the pickup is just a pickup.

I can accept a relatively high deductible, as my major concern is around theft or a burn-down.

If anyone has any suggestions for where I might get insurance for this vehicle; I would be most grateful.

sarconcepts

Adventurer
the Bullet XV is insured with Amica Mutual Insurance. i believe i had to go through 'Progressive' during construction, insuring it as a commercial vehicle, but once completed & registered as a motor home, i was able to insure through Amica.
now to get the value i wanted (& that is was really worth) i had to have an auto appraiser put together an appraisal of its value. this costed a couple hundred bucks.
the appraisal verifies that i'm not over-valuing the vehicle for a planned theft or burn down for the replacement value.
what country are you in? Russia or USA?

Wyohab

Observer
Thanks for this.

The truck is now in Phoenix, and will remain in the US for at least the next couple of years. I am only interested in obtaining insurance for the truck while it is in the US. I'm having such difficulty getting insurance to start with, I don't want to make this any more difficult than I have to. I'll worry about international insurance when the time comes.

Could you provide contact details for Amica?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I have only insured my rigs after they were classified as RV's. But I do have some experience in jumping through the Arizona MVD hurdles around reclassifying as an RV if you need some help. Whichever way you go I think getting an appraisal would be prudent.

Are you in AZ with the vehicle?

Wyohab

Observer
Thanks Ozrockat.

The truck is in AZ now, but I am not. I hope to be in AZ myself next month.

I'm would struggle w/ the 4 out 6 deal for reclassification to RV; mostly with the 'permanent and removable only for service' part. But this is indeed worth checking into a little more.

Any suggestions for an appraiser in the Phoenix area that would do a good job?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I will chase done a buddy in the industry and see who he recommends. He has handles all the oddball stuff I throw at him as well as about a dozen foreign travelers and their bikes/trucks/RV's.

The other obvious thing to do is keep a good track with receipts of all work done. You will need that for an appraisal anyway. (oh and the terminology you are chasing is both "insurance" and "before loss" appraisal).

If you ever plan on leaving the country with the vehicle you had better get used to having no coverage except for liability.
Charlie

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I'm just getting into this with my Ram 2500 with a flatbed and FWC on the back. The truck was covered by State Farm when I bought it. Had the flatbed put on and some other goodies, (well ok a lot of extra goodies and some custom fabrication) to get it ready for the FWC. Now the truck premium is way up there since it is reclassified as a commercial policy because of the flatbed. The camper is a separate policy. Thanks for the tip on Amica. I'll check them out and see if they have a different take on it. It will be hard to go for the full RV classification because by design the FWC is made to come off the back with just 4 bolts and unplugging some wires. The truck lives in TX and will run around without the camper as much as it does with it on.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
You might want to take a stroll over to the escapees forum - re-titling and insuring commercial MDT / HDTs as RVs is something there is a lot of tribal knowledge of over there.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
You might want to take a stroll over to the escapees forum - re-titling and insuring commercial MDT / HDTs as RVs is something there is a lot of tribal knowledge of over there.

Thanks for the tip on the Escapees forum. Good info over there on insurance for my situation. Amica was a no go for a modified truck that wasn't a full time RV. The no go means they won't cover it period. The search will continue next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior