Interesting Australian Suspension

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
...so he's essentially going to build something like AT's suspension since his broke, right?

I'd like you to convert mine eventually. I know the torsion will die on me.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
...so he's essentially going to build something like AT's suspension since his broke, right?

I'd like you to convert mine eventually. I know the torsion will die on me.

Bill, I think you may be right, the last thing he says is he'll be using swing arms with bushings from now on.

What he found out was that even after heavily modifying the torsion axle with double shocks the axle failed catastrophically in the desert. He even went as far as to add air bags prior to his trip.

He found out in a very practical way what we've known for a long time, torsion axles are prone to failure after extended use on washboard.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Couldn't see the comments. The camera was vibrating a bit too much to assess it fully.

Here are the comments of the trailer owner:
"Yeah Gday mate.Indeed the axle is located using torsion rubbers.The camper trailer is very light.After I've loaded 65 litres of Diesel, 40 litres of water and all the camping gear the suspension starts to get a workout. Recently went into the Australian Desert out to a place called Birdsville but before we left I also added 2 air bag shocks to handle thousands of klm's of corrugation.The rubbers failed and the axles deformed so am redesigning everything.It will use swingarms with bushes"

alan

Explorer
Is he for real, thats not an off road trailer, the wheels look like they only about 12" if that! there are two versions of Alko rubber suspension in Australia standard on road and h/duty off road version this is definately not the off road version, I have built several off road trailers with this version and towed them across the simpson desert with no problems, as for the twin shockers they are doing nothing at that angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94