Interesting midsize truck comparison / test

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Wake me up when the Honda Ridgeline can haul my yard waste to the local dump without blowing up and/or getting stuck. And return with 1000#+ of cut up logs for firewood. Through a foot of mud and a mild stream. Oh look, a blizzard.

Some people live expo every weekend, where 4wd and lockers aren't even enough. Guess I'm part of the 1%. Yay.

Explorerinil

Observer
Wake me up when the Honda Ridgeline can haul my yard waste to the local dump without blowing up and/or getting stuck. And return with 1000#+ of cut up logs for firewood. Through a foot of mud and a mild stream. Oh look, a blizzard.

Some people live expo every weekend, where 4wd and lockers aren't even enough. Guess I'm part of the 1%. Yay.
I’m with you on the ridgline, it’s a grocery getting that’s it... however, I was hog hunting near Daytona beach a few years ago and met a guy that offered to take me out fishing for the day. He picked me up in a ridgline hauling an older 19 foot Boston whaler. I was surprised that it pulled that boat down the road.

rruff

Explorer
I’m with you on the ridgline, it’s a grocery getting that’s it...

Nah, it'll haul stuff and tow just fine. It just isn't a heavy duty offroad rig. Rather it's a good design for most people who buy trucks.

Most trucks sold are mainly used for grocery getting and pretty well suck at that task.

Reactions: ale

Clutch

<---Pass

Yeah, I heard those Super Duty's need lockers since they get stuck in wet grass. :p

37" tires are an absolute must have making free-way bomb runs to the Keys, not sure why...but ya gotta have 'em...maybe for bumping over curbs through the landscaping trying to score a camping spot at Wally World. :D

Picture of my buddy's SD....stuck, in wet grass, on level ground even! Note the chain on the tow hook to yank him out.

At least it looks tough, with that cod piece grill! Speaking of 1000 lbs of firewood and mud, another buddy of mine in Flagstaff got his SD stuck on gas line road fetching the rest of his permit. Guess it doesn't take much to get those Fords stuck... :LOL:

46447701_10210706487212843_2743065225338028032_n.jpg

Nah, it'll haul stuff and tow just fine. It just isn't a heavy duty offroad rig. Rather it's a good design for most people who buy trucks.

Most trucks sold are mainly used for grocery getting and pretty well suck at that task.

Willing to bet it would more than adequate for 90% of truck buyers...at least from what I see how trucks are used out there. But the Honda is deemed unmanly so guys won't buy them. Proof is how most guys make fun of them every time they are brought up.

Better payload than a Tacoma...be fine for majority of truck campers.

HR2018-f-300x225.jpg

In the back country often, I am one of those 1%ers that Buliwyf speaks of, off-pavement at least once a week...being in Idaho, see a multitude of overland vehicles here almost on a daily basis, but rarely see them in the boonies... you know where I see them? At the campgrounds, which do not require 4WD or high clearance. It is almost comical really, last time I did the run from Boise to Stanley which goes through Ketchum/Sun Valley...saw all kinds of FWC's, Pickups & SUV's with RTT's, Sportsmobiles, Mogs... even an Earth Cruiser and Earth Roamer...all seen pulled slightly off the pavement at campgrounds.

Do you know what vehicles I see the most well off the beaten path? Subarus.

As they say, people can spend their money however they want, but it is kinda funny seeing these fully kitted out vehicles not being used to their full potential. Where I am on my 4th set of rear springs...which come to think of it should be replaced with some freshies. If anyone could use a bigger truck, it is probably me...but I like the understated wimpy ones for some reason.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yeah, I heard that Honda minivans rule in deep mud. With that awesome transaxle.

This is crap:

honda-ridgeline-engine-2.jpg

That things ATF will smell like your cod piece after a few minutes of flinging mud.

Don't underestimate the frozen mud under grass. Zero coefficient of friction, is what it is. All the truck in the world, still needs chains and lockers for that. Good luck putting such, on a minivan.

Ooooooooh, Earth Dreams edition! Where's my coral colored sweater vest? I'll need it for this ride:
2014+Honda+Ridgeline+Engines.jpg

Garbage for soy boys.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Don't underestimate the frozen mud under grass. Zero coefficient of friction, is what it is. All the truck in the world, still needs chains and lockers for that.

What, those SD's are $40-50K??? And can't handle a little moist grass and frozen mud!? I read posts of what is needed to make an already expensive truck able to go off-road. You shouldn't have to do any of that, for those prices it should be ready to go. All this chest thumping and a little wet grass can hang up those trucks, let alone deep mud. Weren't you saying you need to keep recovery gear readily available for yours? I would be pissed if I spent $50K on a truck that can't make a simple dump run.

Don't have to do anything to a Tacoma...Hell, you'll be hard pressed to get it stuck with bald P-Rated tires! I run P-Rated during the summer here, have SL snow tires on there now. Betcha the Honda wouldn't get stuck either...after you got done chucking logs into the bed with reckless abandon. Less worry about punching a hole through the Ridgeline's bed than the Ford's. Looks like the wimpy Honda's bed is tougher.

chevrolet-silverado-versus-ford-f-150-beds-commercial-detroit-auto-show-20180115-197-e1516062422867-844x1024.jpg

Look how small the wheel wells are too, pretty nice feature.

Ooooooooh, Earth Dreams edition! Where's my coral colored sweater vest? I'll need it for this ride:

2014+Honda+Ridgeline+Engines.jpg

I prefer a hot pink mesh crop top, but to each their own. :D Doncha head to the Keys every chance you get, is there something you aren't telling us? nttiawwt... ha ha....*cough cough*

Be kinda nice if Toyota would offer a hybrid drivetrain in the Tacoma. I was kinda diggin' the A-Bat concept...styling is a little off, but like the idea.

Looks like it has decent clearance, guessing mpg's would be in the low 30's. Maybe an all electric mode for running around town, a lot of local house errands of mine are 3 miles round trip.

https://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/toyota_design/concept_cars/gallery_a_bat.html

A-BAT_02.jpg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Can't say I'm about the 'chest thumping' as prior to the truck I'm driving now, the last two vehicles I owned were a '14 Cherokee
13907098_10209173573844003_9146765450781732854_n.jpg

and before that an '09 Jetta TDI.
jetta.jpg

I'm still not a fan of the Ridgeline. Interesting concept but, I'd prefer the Avalanche.

docwatson

Adventurer
My problem with the Ridgeline is the minimal gain from unibody vs all the loses. It may have a better payload than Tacoma but doesn't exceed the Ranger or GM. It gives up towing, low range, and clearance for what? An extra MPG or two? There is an article somewhere on Jalopnik interviewing the Ridgeline engineers discussing all the extra stiffening pieces they need to add to get that 5k tow rating. By the end the advantages are minimal.

Edit: Found it Trucks don't need frames.

Clutch

<---Pass
Can't say I'm about the 'chest thumping' as prior to the truck I'm driving now, the last two vehicles I owned were a '14 Cherokee
View attachment 499105

and before that an '09 Jetta TDI.
View attachment 499106

I'm still not a fan of the Ridgeline. Interesting concept but, I'd prefer the Avalanche.

The new Ranger and the Ram 1500 aren't bad I must say. I can't stand massive grills....like on the, 3rd Gen Tacoma, Tundra, F150-350, ...and geebus have you seen the new HD Ram and GM's...gaaaad they made it even bigger.

Never did like the Avalanche, too much plastic....AZ heat destroys it, guy in our bike club had one.

Have a couple dirt bike friends that do the Suby or VW plus trailer. Which the Ridgeline would be perfect for. The price-point misses it for me. For the same or even cheaper, you can get more clearance and low-range. For example you can grab a Ram 1500 classic sub $25K...or a 4 banger Tacoma SR around $26K...where the Honda is $30K+ to get AWD. And not much advantage in fuel economy.

It misses just a few things for me, but in all reality I could make it work. But like I said...I am off pavement at the very least once a week. Getting ready to head to the mountains to do a little XC skiing as soon as my wife leaves for work. Pretty sure the Park and Ski area will be full of Subarus though like it was last time... ;):D Even though that particular road I will be on is paved, the frost heaves are horrible...like riding a buck board. View is worth it though.

49949269_10157007484134630_6407643266312830976_n.jpg

49345092_10157007484069630_2503923692564643840_n.jpg

Or may head South to the other mountains...can't decide. Not a bad problem to have. :D

49676599_10156991446349630_2137267913667641344_n.jpg

Last edited:
Top gear/Grand Tour covers Mid-sized trucks for Europe and has similar conclusions. The faux trucks just are not real for them.....despite winning the numbers.

Clutch

<---Pass

That looks like fun!

Of topic, but speaking of Space framed campers, are you thinking Buckminster Fuller geodesic or something more like an Iveco Daily...aren't those 4 cylinder, looks like you could fit 37's...I like the kind dopey grinning face on the Iveco's....no big grill needed here. Plenty tough underneath tho'.

I am intrigued.

Iveco-Daily-Expeditionsfahrzeug.jpg

Or are you thinking full on Buckminster?

geocamp.jpg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The new Ranger and the Ram 1500 aren't bad I must say. I can't stand massive grills....like on the, 3rd Gen Tacoma, Tundra, F150-350, ...and geebus have you seen the new HD Ram and GM's...gaaaad they made it even bigger.

Never did like the Avalanche, too much plastic....AZ heat destroys it, guy in our bike club had one.

I preferred the 2nd gen's with out the cladding.
2007_Chevrolet_Avalanche_LS.jpg

Even the 1st Gen ones with out the cladding were nice.

hqdefault.jpg
After towing with that Cherokee, i'd never tow with a FWD based unibody again. That trailer was 2,500 lbs dry. The Jeep was rated to tow 5,000 lbs.
On paper I was good. Real world, it was scary.

Clutch

<---Pass
I preferred the 2nd gen's with out the cladding.
View attachment 499109

Even the 1st Gen ones with out the cladding were nice.

View attachment 499110
After towing with that Cherokee, i'd never tow with a FWD based unibody again. That trailer was 2,500 lbs dry. The Jeep was rated to tow 5,000 lbs.
On paper I was good. Real world, it was scary.

Those aren't bad. Din't like the fully cladded version, kinda like the Honda element with lower quarter in plastic. In theory is sounds good, but it looks like crap in a few years. I don't know what Toyota puts under the paint on the Tacomas...but whatever it is it holds up great. Very few paint chips on mine...even from years and years of running down gravel roads.

Never have towed with a FWD vehicle. Would like to try and see what it is like, just out of curosity. My Taco is rated at 5000lbs, towed nearly 4000lbs with it a couple times (yard of gravel plus trailer)...not fun. At least it was only a few miles from the Tractor Supply. In all realty probably get it delivered next time.

Clutch

<---Pass
My problem with the Ridgeline is the minimal gain from unibody vs all the loses. It may have a better payload than Tacoma but doesn't exceed the Ranger or GM. It gives up towing, low range, and clearance for what? An extra MPG or two? There is an article somewhere on Jalopnik interviewing the Ridgeline engineers discussing all the extra stiffening pieces they need to add to get that 5k tow rating. By the end the advantages are minimal.

Edit: Found it Trucks don't need frames.

yeah same here....it is close just misses just a few things. Like they all do. Tacoma needs to get back to basics, the Ranger needs a N/A V6 manual trans option, the GM twins need the rear shocks and spare tire tuck out of the way more, Nissan...bring the new Navava over for cripes sake already.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles