Interesting midsize truck comparison / test

Clutch

<---Pass
Wouldn't mind a Russian UAZ.

Still sold new too. Built like they were in 1964... :D

https://uaz.global/cars/commercial/classic

480-4155-uaz-452-passenger.jpg

Grump E-Vet

Besides.. maybe they'd make fun sleepers...

Man have you seen how much Pacificas, Odysseys or Siennas cost? I know her loaded minivan cost more than my loaded Ram Rebel by about $8K! Only deal to be had in that segment right now is the Caravan.

Wouldn't mind a Russian UAZ

I am down but only if it comes with a matching Ural motorcycle. Depending how you look at it I have had the opportunity or misfortune to have been in a lot of “**************** places” over the past 18 years or so in Africa, all over Asia, The Caribbean, South and Central America. I always seemed to end up either using or working with groups using vehicles like the UAZ, Tatas, various overseas makes of Ford\Mazda\Nissan trucks, Ivecos, ancient Landrovers and Landcruisers, Monteros, etc they all always seemed to work and run no matter the environment like the AK-47 of vehicles.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't know.... They are good for what they are intended for.

When we used to race mountain bikes...rented a few for the out of town events. Ride great, good on gas, cavernous for bikes and gear. Can sleep in them pretty easily. They are dorky, but who cares.

Too bad not many make a utility version. The Merc Metris is super close, but no AWD available in the states. Kinda falls victim like the Ridgeline...might as well buy a traditional truck at that point.

I always look at vehicles "can I haul a dirt bike in it"? Little trailer always wins out though.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news...rcedesvitosportvanaimedatmotorcycletransport/

Mercedes%20Vito%203.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I am down but only if it comes with a matching Ural motorcycle. Depending how you look at it I have had the opportunity or misfortune to have been in a lot of “**************** places” over the past 18 years or so in Africa, all over Asia, The Caribbean, South and Central America. I always seemed to end up either using or working with groups using vehicles like the UAZ, Tatas, various overseas makes of Ford\Mazda\Nissan trucks, Ivecos, ancient Landrovers and Landcruisers, Monteros, etc they all always seemed to work and run no matter the environment like the AK-47 of vehicles.

Won't win any races, but it will get you there, pretty much no matter what...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
When we used to race mountain bikes...rented a few for the out of town events. Ride great, good on gas, cavernous for bikes and gear. Can sleep in them pretty easily. They are dorky, but who cares.
Not me! I'd have a fleet of Wagons if I won the big one. And, they were considered dorky as they come...

vehicle_ad_standard_image_91236e955cc6c1ec942cdb2e8e436930.jpg

1000x-1.jpg

b4ccf599d6ecc3f650ac49b4a71284c0.jpg

Grump E-Vet

I don't mind the FWD for DD'ing. The Jeep was great in the snow.

So done with the damn snow.,, This is our last winter living in Northern IL\Southern WI and since the week or so after Christmas it has been just ridiculous. I have had more problems with the Pacifica being FWD this year than I have ever had before I think a lot of that is because we have gotten all the ice storms and full road glazing the times we have not had snow. That really has never happened in my area like I know it does in like Southern Illinois, TN and KY, etc.

Grump E-Vet

@Todd n Natalie if you are going to have a Wagon you need a Hemi! I think I saw one in the B\S\T around me for like $3k recently

Attachments

• 79DC4D34-5F2A-4D68-8D8D-5D2894E89786.jpeg
    79DC4D34-5F2A-4D68-8D8D-5D2894E89786.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 7

rruff

Explorer
I was trying to envision a space frame camper, would of it been like... traditional frame but made out of triangulated tube, with FG/foam panels on top...like total composite do for their box bodies. My first thought was that it would look like a Merc 814 body-wise, but tube frame underneath.

Sounds good! I was really just speculating on how to maximize strength, stiffness, utility and weight in an expo style camper van... suited for myself, and probably not many others! Because it would be light weight, crude, and simple. More like an enclosed custom dune buggy than a modern truck. The Stonefield is an interesting concept. This guy has a few ideas when it comes to custom FG bodies: https://rqriley.com/product/phoenix-van/

I went through this before I bought the Tundra, and realized that I was only ambitious in imagination, not when it comes to actually doing the work! I don't have any experience building cars and haven't even wrenched much. I'm not shy about doing things I've never done, but I could see being dead before "building my own custom offroad van/camper" reached completion. Heck I even lost steam building the camper for the Tundra! Too many unfinished projects at the moment....

Oh, I've been searching for some detail on how the Rav hybrid drivetrain works and came up somewhere between empty and confused. Any good links?

Grump E-Vet

@Todd n Natalie I totally forgot that the SXT Magnums with th 3.5L Pentastar V6 and the R\T with the 5.7L V8 were AWD...2CD60734-BB6C-401A-AE04-060CF2125CEC.jpeg9B3BC141-6B03-466C-A305-D66EDD914948.jpeg2F868111-8C3E-41C9-9AAC-EE4E2010DFAA.jpeg

https://bangshift.com/general-news/...eck-beast-part-dodge-magnum-part-ford-ranger/

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So done with the damn snow.,, This is our last winter living in Northern IL\Southern WI and since the week or so after Christmas it has been just ridiculous. I have had more problems with the Pacifica being FWD this year than I have ever had before I think a lot of that is because we have gotten all the ice storms and full road glazing the times we have not had snow. That really has never happened in my area like I know it does in like Southern Illinois, TN and KY, etc.
Okay, I should specify the Jeep we had was FWD based, but did have AWD. Yes, just having FWD would suck...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Clutch

<---Pass
I did look at wagons when I bought my '09 TDI. They are nice but, that car swore me off VW's....lol Sad thing is I think an AWD Golf Sportwagen would be a good commuter and I like the looks. But, wouldn't really tow my trailer to well....

Exwife had a Jetta, can't remember the year. Biggest pile ever...can't even begin to tell you how many repairs was done to that thing, all before 70K miles. Fixed it "one last time" and bought a Civic. That was over 14 years ago, believe she still has that Civic.

If I could get VW styling on a Honda or Toyota chassis...

Too bad we don't get the Avensis.

TOYOTAAvensisWagon-4187_15.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior