Intro & my "Swiss Army" trailer build using '05 Tacoma bed

1x1_Speed_Craig

Is that all your using from the bed of the truck? I envisioned you using the whole back end, aka the blue painted bed sides from the first picture on the first page.... Do you plan on finishing the outside up at all, or just leaving it rough?

-

I'll be building a lightweight frame on the plastic bed, then skinning the outside with flat panels. It'll look very "finished off" when I get done.

Craig

bigwalton

Observer
Is that all your using from the bed of the truck? I envisioned you using the whole back end, aka the blue painted bed sides from the first picture on the first page.... Do you plan on finishing the outside up at all, or just leaving it rough?

-

If you knew Craig, you wouldn't have to ask that question :ylsmoke:

Can't wait to see it.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer

Can't wait to see it.

Yeah, didn't mean it to sound like I was doubting the end results.. More just thinking out loud and not taking the time to type out the full thought process. It will be nice to see how things progress and are finished off.

Don

-

1x1_Speed_Craig

Can't wait to see it.

That's bigwalton's suBtle way of saying I'm a bit anal-retentive with things. :sombrero:

Yeah, didn't mean it to sound like I was doubting the end results.. More just thinking out loud and not taking the time to type out the full thought process. It will be nice to see how things progress and are finished off.

Don

-

Your feedback is always welcome (and I appreciate all that you have given so far, Don).

As an bit of a "downer" update, I did run into a frustrating moment this weekend. I paid a premium price for the bed from a Michigan-based salvage yard, and was told that there was just minor sheet metal damage. This weekend, I found a 3" crack in the front corner of the bed. I'm going to talk with the salvage yard, and see if they'll give me some sort of discount/credit, as it's not in the excellent condition that was advertised. More to follow...

Craig

1x1_Speed_Craig

I am hitting such a "downer" period while trying to build this freakin' thing. I just got my axle from ABC Trailer Parts today, and while the axle looks great, the hubs do not fit through my OEM Jeep Ravine wheels. The dust cover doesn't even clear the center hole on the wheel. SO, I'm looking at ~2" wheel spacers (making the WMS-to-WMS measurement 66"), or ordering a different 2K-lb. axle that would probably work without spacers.

Since I'll be using this mainly on-road (but with bigger 31" tires), what are your thoughts?

It's minor, but the centering holes in the perches are a LOT bigger than the pins on the CJ springs. When you guys have encountered this, what do you do? Do you fill-weld in the hole on the perch, and redrill to a smaller diameter?

This, coupled with the recently-discovered crack in the plastic bed makes me want to just go buy a freakin' utility trailer. :(

Craig

bigwalton

Observer
Bummer, sorry to hear about the issues Craig, that sucks.

I suppose I was saying your a "bit anal retentive" if that means the same as "you do great work". I'm really just jealous because I don't ever take the time to plan/execute things the right way and then end up with a thousand little regrets over time instead of doing it right up front.

greenhorn

Adventurer
Stay strong brother. I just finished my trailer build. I had quite a few snags and bad days. I took held strong on some ideas, gave in to a few others. In the end, I wish I would have held strong on all of the the ideas to get exactly what I wanted. Check into plastic welding like for kayaks for the bed, have a macine shop enlarge the hole on the wheels or just use the spacers, but stick with that axle whatever you do. Trust me, I've been down that road, you want the 3500 axle. My opinion, you have a great design, stick with it.

Bernie

A thought...not if the wheel hubcentric or studcentric could you not use your router and a bit with a follower bearing to enlarge the hole? Are the studs ridiculously close? I routed a set of aluminum turbine wheels back in the early 80s and abused them like a rental car.

greenhorn

Adventurer
So is it not possible to get a 3500 axle with the jeep size hub? If not, what is the harvest rating that do come to fit jeep wheels?

Everything from what I found has the larger hub size. I think it is standard, so you can use a standard size bearing buddy. The road I have been down, is trying to make a 2000lb axle work. I never offroaded it, but the weight and leverage of the bigger tires bent the tube in no time.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Bummer, sorry to hear about the issues Craig, that sucks.

Stay strong brother.

Thanks guys. I need the encouragement! :elkgrin:

A thought...not if the wheel hubcentric or studcentric could you not use your router and a bit with a follower bearing to enlarge the hole? Are the studs ridiculously close? I routed a set of aluminum turbine wheels back in the early 80s and abused them like a rental car.

Others have mentioned this idea, but I do not want to have the hole enlarged, as I'd also have to do it on my vehicle spare.

Looked a pic of the wheel, there might be some room.

Uhh...what? :coffee:

Everything from what I found has the larger hub size. I think it is standard, so you can use a standard size bearing buddy. The road I have been down, is trying to make a 2000lb axle work. I never offroaded it, but the weight and leverage of the bigger tires bent the tube in no time.

I talked with Randy at ABC Trailer Parts, and the 2K-lb. axles have the same size outer bearing (and hub diameter) as the 3500-lb. axles.

Yes, I have read it in-detail. It's a great write-up!

I am committed to kicking this project's *****. I'm going to end up ordering wheel spacers, but may actually have to get a narrower axle because of this (I'd have to resell the one I just got locally). I'm going to order some CJ Dana 30 spring perches, which will address the spring centering pin size issue. The biggest variable is the truck bed issue, and this puts project spending completely on hold until I get it resolved. The receipt states a 90-day warranty, and 30-day cash refund timeframe. I bought it 1/18, so I'm outside of the latter. However, I'll find out more once the manager gets back from vacation (next Monday, hopefully).

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior