Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Bigmo

Very nice! Congrats. Which options did you go with? I'm still waiting to see the water tank in the wild.
Pretty basic on options. Wanted to keep my prinsu so opted out of the table slide and table as well as the shower cube. Got molle panels, load bars, storage bags. Also got fly screens but they are back ordered. The water tank came about after I ordered in January (covid delays) so wasn't something I could add.

LionZoo

Observer
Question: 3rd gen Tacos seem to require bed stiffeners to reinforce for the bed sides for camper mounting. Is that needed for the Alu-Cab canopy camper? Feels like the full door extends downward and helps distribute weight to the floor, not to mention there might already be Alu-Cab engineered stiffening in place?

Bigmo

Question: 3rd gen Tacos seem to require bed stiffeners to reinforce for the bed sides for camper mounting. Is that needed for the Alu-Cab canopy camper? Feels like the full door extends downward and helps distribute weight to the floor, not to mention there might already be Alu-Cab engineered stiffening in place?
I have thought about adding some but the rear door kit bolts to the floor and to the bedsides where the tailgate latched. Should work like bed stiffeners in theory however I still may add some I'm on the fence.

Last edited:

Bigmo

Thought I would share this info. I asked around but never got a true weight of the camper just a guess or it doesn't weigh more than whatever. I weighed my truck before the camper and just weighed it today. My Canopy Camper with the options I have weighs 600 lbs even. I do not have the table slide and table or the shower slide and shower cube that seem to be popular options. I do have molle panels, 270 awning, spare tire carrier, load bars, and storage bags. I would think the 270 awning would account for 100+ lbs of that 600 but I don't know a separate weight for the awning. Anyway I hope this helps anyone that is curious about real world weight.

seekoutbeauty

got tired of stepping/kneeling on the hard Tacoma bed so added a Bedrug mat. space is a little more homey and the mat easily removed for cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d54964c7379c70f594c4230cc98179d0.jpg

I messaged you on instagram but I also I figured some may be wondering the same thing. Any reason to only run the bottom portion of the bedrug and not the walls? I have been running the complete kit for a while now and it has done a fantastic job of keeping the bed clean.

Thanks guys for the interior layout pics. We got ours installed this week and are going bare bones camping this weekend.
View attachment 593385
This might be the best looking Gladiator I have seen. I have only really liked them on 40s... but that camper looks made for the gladiator.

emulous74

Thought I would share this info. I asked around but never got a true weight of the camper just a guess or it doesn't weigh more than whatever. I weighed my truck before the camper and just weighed it today. My Canopy Camper with the options I have weighs 600 lbs even. I do not have the table slide and table or the shower slide and shower cube that seem to be popular options. I do have molle panels, 270 awning, spare tire carrier, load bars, and storage bags. I would think the 270 awning would account for 100+ lbs of that 600 but I don't know a separate weight for the awning. Anyway I hope this helps anyone that is curious about real world weight.
The Shadow Awn (270) is 24kg or about 53 lbs

What did you cut it with? Tablesaw? Thanks SS
hand saw. I wish I had a table saw. jigsaw would probably work too. The trick is to get the right amount of pipe remaining after the cut. Half is not enough. There has to be more than 50% remaining for it to seat properly.

seekoutbeauty

That’s on a tacoma? There’s no way. Listed weight can’t be THAT FAR off.

Bigmo

That’s on a tacoma? There’s no way. Listed weight can’t be THAT FAR off.
That's real world weight on a legit scale. I measured my lift height as well and came down 1 1/4 inches in the rear and that is with an extra add a leaf. Already was planning heavy leafs and hope I find time to install them in the next couple weeks and should gain that back. I was surprised with the weight myself. I have heard of one other that was scaled and it had almost no options and was 530 lbs if I remember right. With all that said the tacoma handled just fine on the drive home from install and am happy with the purchase. Weight is a big deal on the tacomas that's why I weighed it before and after so I can do my suspension upgrade to handle it.

seekoutbeauty

That's real world weight on a legit scale. I measured my lift height as well and came down 1 1/4 inches in the rear and that is with an extra add a leaf. Already was planning heavy leafs and hope I find time to install them in the next couple weeks and should gain that back. I was surprised with the weight myself. I have heard of one other that was scaled and it had almost no options and was 530 lbs if I remember right. With all that said the tacoma handled just fine on the drive home from install and am happy with the purchase. Weight is a big deal on the tacomas that's why I weighed it before and after so I can do my suspension upgrade to handle it.

I am planning to run a barebones unit but it’s hard to imagine that they are off that much on the weight.
What did your tank of gas look like? Unleaded is 6.2lbs per gallon.

@rino - do y’all have a pallet jack with a scale or a way to weigh a unit?

Bigmo

I am planning to run a barebones unit but it’s hard to imagine that they are off that much on the weight.
What did your tank of gas look like? Unleaded is 6.2lbs per gallon.

@rino - do y’all have a pallet jack with a scale or a way to weigh a unit?
Full tank of gas and me in the truck both times. Difference was only the camper. Look it's possible the weight is off but I have scaled at this location several times in the past with other vehicles/equipment and believe it to be accurate. A bare bones unit might weigh much less.

ITTOG

Full tank of gas and me in the truck both times. Difference was only the camper. Look it's possible the weight is off but I have scaled at this location several times in the past with other vehicles/equipment and believe it to be accurate. A bare bones unit might weigh much less.
How long between the two weights. Where they same day or spread out a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles