Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
I think I said "Not tall", at least I tower over my corgi. The issue for my wife, is she likes the easy access to the Thetford toilet we have inside the Habitat - this way she doesn't have to brave the cold in the winter or the bugs in the summer. Not sure if that will work in the Alu-Cab.

Half the reason my wife green-lighted the move from a JKU with a roof top tent to our Tacoma with the canopy camper is just for the access to the toilet -- you can access the downstairs/toilet easily at night. She is 5'1" and I'm 5'9" (on a good day at least) and we can comfortably sleep with the smaller hatch open all night, but we found that the pillows slid into the open space a bit so we leave the hatch down. If/when we need to get down in the middle of the night, it's as easy as nudging pillows forward a few inches.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Half the reason my wife green-lighted the move from a JKU with a roof top tent to our Tacoma with the canopy camper is just for the access to the toilet -- you can access the downstairs/toilet easily at night. She is 5'1" and I'm 5'9" (on a good day at least) and we can comfortably sleep with the smaller hatch open all night, but we found that the pillows slid into the open space a bit so we leave the hatch down. If/when we need to get down in the middle of the night, it's as easy as nudging pillows forward a few inches.

Thanks for the data point. Yes, it's hard to overstate what a luxury it is for everyone to be able to access the toilet at 2am without having to put shoes on, etc.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
I think you guys will like the camper a lot. I got mine installed in late January and have been working on it pretty much non stop with all the warm weather we've had. The build thread (https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/alumescapes-alucab-canopy-build-thread.213277/) is running behind from actual progress by a couple weeks so I'll be trying to dump stuff there over the next couple days as I get stuff written up. Feel free to ask any questions!

DNLUSK

Has anyone removed their canopy camper yet? I got rear ended In my 3rd gen Tacoma the right rear side of the truck got bent badly enough to need the panel replaced. Any tips for removal would be appreciated. The camper has been on for a year now. I will seal some areas that have been leaking dust or water (like the top trim of the bed and around the steel bed support at the back of the bed)

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Goose gear has landed! Bedrug, Goose Gear and NL Dual 50L installed. I ended up putting in a Bedrug liner to help insulate the truck bed before dropping in the GG floor plate (Rin's pics on IG of the inside of the camper at at -1 degrees was a good motivator!). Tight fit but worked out great. The Bedliner is 100% recycled material with 3/4" of closed cell foam. Will not mold or mildew or absorb water. Can't believe how much quieter the truck is. Electric panel & solar next!View attachment 564963View attachment 564963View attachment 564965View attachment 564966.
Brilliant use of space and after hearing about the bed rug install from ROKO, i ordered one up as well! Should help big time insulating the steel bed on my ZR2.

rino

Nice! Came here looking for tips on running wires for solar on my Khaya. I believe the tops are similar. I’ve found a few holes and grommets in the body for various options. Solar is an option from the factory but it’s hard to find specific info on the web.

Perhaps Rin can chime in... ?

Hey man! :coffee: I’m away from my shop and photos, but in short there are two holes laser cut into the top, rear, right of the camper and an Anderson SB50 plug can be installed in this place for installing solar. As far as running the wiring, drop me an email (rino@ok4wd.com) and when I’m back later this week I can give you some pointers!

rino

Just got mine on order today for a long-bed Tacoma. Super excited...except now I need to sell my Ford E350 Sportsmobile and find the actual Tacoma I'm going to put the camper on. I had a 2nd Gen that I loved that I sold a year ago. Trying to decide if I find a good 2nd Gen long bed or go with a 3rd gen.

If you order the 2nd generation mounting kit, you can switch to. 3rd gen anytime by just removing the “horseshoe” spacer that corrects the bed rail difference. ;)

rino

My CC was ordered in October and I'm eagerly awaiting the green light email. Does anyone know of a drawer system that works in the CC? Thje Alu-Cab drawers do not fit. Thanks
Check out some Goose Gear options, they open towards the center isle and allow access to gear while inside or outside the camper. A traditional drawer system is not ideal for what I would call an internal living space camper like the Canopy Camper or Khaya. (y)

rino

Has anyone removed their canopy camper yet? I got rear ended In my 3rd gen Tacoma the right rear side of the truck got bent badly enough to need the panel replaced. Any tips for removal would be appreciated. The camper has been on for a year now. I will seal some areas that have been leaking dust or water (like the top trim of the bed and around the steel bed support at the back of the bed)

Damn Don, sorry to hear this. I would suggest the most common way outside our location would be to use a fork lift above the camper from the backside and sling two straps completely under the camper. Once off, set on a few HD sawhorses while the truck is repaired. To take apart the camper for removal is quite easy, just removing the rivets for the door frame will require drilling.

If you have a tall space with a proper beam, i would be glad to mail you one of the AC winches we use here at the shop now. Drop me a mail if I can assist!

rino

Rin
It is not possible to remove with out separating the door frame?

remove yes, but install is tough (tried once) to thread the needle and land it back on in such a tight space between the lights.

Hey man! :coffee: I’m away from my shop and photos, but in short there are two holes laser cut into the top, rear, right of the camper and an Anderson SB50 plug can be installed in this place for installing solar. As far as running the wiring, drop me an email (rino@ok4wd.com) and when I’m back later this week I can give you some pointers!
No worries, got it straight. My beer is chillin on sunshine!

DNLUSK

Thanks Rin for the offer. Got it off with out any problems. Also thanks for not putting to much sealer around the door frame, it would be very difficult with even a little more. I need to find some flush fitting rivets when I reinstall it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles