Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Vst

Can anyone with a 3rd gen Tacoma get me height measurements of there canopy? I’m looking for the height from the bed rails to the top of the camper with nothing on the roof. I have garage with an 8 foot door and my setup with a four wheel camper just fits inside and I’m wondering if I make the switch if I’d still be able to pull into my garage. Thanks !

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Can anyone with a 3rd gen Tacoma get me height measurements of there canopy? I’m looking for the height from the bed rails to the top of the camper with nothing on the roof. I have garage with an 8 foot door and my setup with a four wheel camper just fits inside and I’m wondering if I make the switch if I’d still be able to pull into my garage. Thanks !

I fit into my 8' garage doors with my 3rd gen Taco with lift and tires - not a lot of room to spare though. Not sure if the newer campers are taller than older ones though - mine was installed late 2019.

Reactions: Vst

Vst

I fit into my 8' garage doors with my 3rd gen Taco with lift and tires - not a lot of room to spare though. Not sure if the newer campers are taller than older ones though - mine was installed late 2019.
Same with my four wheel camper if I go any taller lift I probably won’t fit

siebermd

Adventurer
Also here are factory measurements....
Is that from the ground up?
Yes, concrete to to the top of the toprail.

siebermd

Adventurer
Looks like a great trip. I really like the metal grid you have on the rear door. Would you mind passing along any info you have on where you got it and how you installed it?

Thanks, it is working very well and is a worthy alternative to expensive Molle. Sorry to say the material I have is recycled from material that was being tossed out at work. It was a shelving unit that I was able to cut to fit. OK4wd has a similar product in their "Alu-Cab" section of their webpage. I find a lot of useful materials at McMaster-Carr online. It is the Amazon equivalent for us that like to build our own. As far as installation, I installed Riv-nuts into the door frame and just bolted it in.

Overland_Mike

any electrical/math wizz‘s out there that could tell me how big of a battery (GZ or similar) i would need/should have to run lights, fridge, diesel heater in A Rainy climate with lots of trees. ie rainforests of southern BC…. Im thinking a 1000ah should be sufficient as long as I go for drives every day or so.

DM Me I can help out....

I have not used my camper in a few months due to an ACL knee injury I had earlier this year. I had ACL surgery back in March and a few weeks ago I opened the ACCC and found a tiny bit of mildew on some of the canvas on the upper side windows. I live in upper NW Washington where we get a ton of rain and snow. I was able to easily remove the mildew using some marine spray I bought on Amazon. I spoke with Rin about it as well and OK4WD sent me out the GP Camp Pressure Vent This is supposed to help with condensation build-up. Install was pretty easy with a little added Sikaflex for sealing.

We had a lot of rain this week where I live and I am thankful to report I have zero leaks. ?

IMG_1628.jpegIMG_1623.jpgIMG_1624.jpg

Last edited:

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
I haven’t noticed the third brake light at night. The back cab windows on my truck are tinted so maybe that’s why I haven’t even noticed it?
Also, something I didn’t consider was the rear view mirror. Absolutely useless now, so I may remove it completely.

My solution for the rear view mirror. Brandmotion GVWR-8886. I can post up some video if anyone would like. Love the thing. Works well all around. Plus has a front camera as well, and a park feature when left in a parking lot. IE the unit acts like a dash cam as well. It totally replaces the rear view mirror.

We did get them to do a code “gladiator” to save $100 off of the kit.

Attachments

• DBF54255-4A8F-4946-B82D-EBEFE06F04CC.jpeg
    DBF54255-4A8F-4946-B82D-EBEFE06F04CC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 107
  • 53959D65-17D5-4380-A682-26EEDB11B47D.jpeg
    53959D65-17D5-4380-A682-26EEDB11B47D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
  • 3DC21587-6B74-4F31-A446-DB800B690749.jpeg
    3DC21587-6B74-4F31-A446-DB800B690749.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 109

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
I have not used my camper in a few months due to an ACL knee injury I had earlier this year. I had ACL surgery back in March and a few weeks ago I opened the ACCC and found a tiny bit of mildew on some of the canvas on the upper side windows. I live in upper NW Washington where we get a ton of rain and snow. I was able to easily remove the mildew using some marine spray I bought on Amazon. I spoke with Rin about it as well and OK4WD sent me out the GP Camp Pressure Vent This is supposed to help with condensation build-up. Install was pretty easy with a little added Sikaflex for sealing.

We had a lot of rain this week where I live and I am thankful to report I have zero leaks. ?

View attachment 720278View attachment 720279View attachment 720280

Might have to look into this as well have to park outside at our cabin.

Redfernsoljah

GladiatorOverland
Looking for some type of ideas to help store extra diesel. Since the long range tanks are still pending and will most likely stay that way for a good bit for the gladiator.

We are considering mounting a rotopax unit to the rear door next to our DMOS mount. Our maxtrax are mounted on the passenger canopy door in a exo mount. Another option is the 813Fab mount in front of the canopy camper between it and the cab. But you are limited to amount carried. We thought it would be great for def storage though for us. Last option would be to use 2 5 gallon waivan tanks. (My preferred way to store diesel). But where can we mount it? Have a exo propane mount on drivers Molle panel and have Dickenson heater on the right. Bottoms left panel has propane fitting and our water spigot. Roof is covered in solar up to where it changes the angle up front. That is clear, but we are trying our best to not get any taller. We are putting on an upfront overland alpha rack next week before overland expo west. But the rack will not have enough room to put cans on top due to holding our 3 Zarges cases. Our spare 37” is mounted in factory location. Eventually May go with a expedition one single swing out. But it’s gonna be a little bit till we can do this monetarily wise as our funds are slowing to a trickle this year on the build. Looking for ideas here, and maybe a sounding board. Saw some 5 gallon mounts off the sides of the alucab front box. Neat idea, but without front rack that’s a no go. Really didn’t want to mount anything on the left lower(drivers) rear panel as it not only interfere with water spigot but also messes up the flow of getting around the camper and the main areas covered by the awning. Posting pic of my rear. I need to get some updated photos of the back. Little things have changed but nothing major. Just added a extra camera and the such.

Attachments

• 819C9405-537D-4E80-95AA-0C8AADC0CB58.jpeg
    819C9405-537D-4E80-95AA-0C8AADC0CB58.jpeg
    776.2 KB · Views: 29
Looking for some type of ideas to help store extra diesel. Since the long range tanks are still pending and will most likely stay that way for a good bit for the gladiator.

We are considering mounting a rotopax unit to the rear door next to our DMOS mount. Our maxtrax are mounted on the passenger canopy door in a exo mount. Another option is the 813Fab mount in front of the canopy camper between it and the cab. But you are limited to amount carried. We thought it would be great for def storage though for us. Last option would be to use 2 5 gallon waivan tanks. (My preferred way to store diesel). But where can we mount it? Have a exo propane mount on drivers Molle panel and have Dickenson heater on the right. Bottoms left panel has propane fitting and our water spigot. Roof is covered in solar up to where it changes the angle up front. That is clear, but we are trying our best to not get any taller. We are putting on an upfront overland alpha rack next week before overland expo west. But the rack will not have enough room to put cans on top due to holding our 3 Zarges cases. Our spare 37” is mounted in factory location. Eventually May go with a expedition one single swing out. But it’s gonna be a little bit till we can do this monetarily wise as our funds are slowing to a trickle this year on the build. Looking for ideas here, and maybe a sounding board. Saw some 5 gallon mounts off the sides of the alucab front box. Neat idea, but without front rack that’s a no go. Really didn’t want to mount anything on the left lower(drivers) rear panel as it not only interfere with water spigot but also messes up the flow of getting around the camper and the main areas covered by the awning. Posting pic of my rear. I need to get some updated photos of the back. Little things have changed but nothing major. Just added a extra camera and the such.
I store my diesel fuel in two Rotopax on top of the camper using two additional Alu Cab crossbars and a FrontRunner Rotopax mount. It also does not impede the 210 watts of solar panels on the roof. I am not typically a fan of Rotopax but I was able to swap out the lids so they no longer leak and actually perform quite well.

IMG_1688.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94