IPad, iPhone and InReach

eyemgh

I looked (briefly) for a primer thread on this, but was fruitless.

My current phone is a 12 Pro Max. I have a 7th gen non-cell iPad with only 32G. It’s my daily driver, so I might replace it with something for the truck. Lastly, I have an InReach Mini that has primarily been used as a SOS device backcountry skiing.

I‘d like to learn to use Gaia. Can it be configured together somehow? Are there any videos or threads dedicated to an introduction to this sort of stuff?

Thanks!

pluton

Adventurer
Gaia will work perfectly with iPhone 12, and should work fine with that iPad. Just in case, make sure the iOS iteration that your iPad runs on meets the current 'system requirements' of the Gaia app. 32 GB storage on that iPad is small if you wanted to keep a large library of maps, but adequate if you are willing to download just the appropriate map(s) for each trip. An external GPS device (Bad Elf, Dual) can send coordinates to the WiFi-only iPad for "live" positioning on the displayed map.
Having the Gaia app on just the iPhone is worth it, IMO. $40 and you can play with it for an entire year before deciding whether or not to pay again.

eyemgh

Gaia will work perfectly with iPhone 12, and should work fine with that iPad. Just in case, make sure the iOS iteration that your iPad runs on meets the current 'system requirements' of the Gaia app. 32 GB storage on that iPad is small if you wanted to keep a large library of maps, but adequate if you are willing to download just the appropriate map(s) for each trip. An external GPS device (Bad Elf, Dual) can send coordinates to the WiFi-only iPad for "live" positioning on the displayed map.
Having the Gaia app on just the iPhone is worth it, IMO. $40 and you can play with it for an entire year before deciding whether or not to pay again.

Thanks! Can I use the InReach as an external GPS device? ?

m-l_johnny

Short answer, yes, it should. There’s quite a few videos on the ewetubes about Gaia.
Lifestyle Overland, Venture4wd, Ozak Overland Adv to name a few.
Gaia is what I use and love it. That and the interactive Nat Forest map is what I primarily use for my planning. I use an ipad air 3rd gen, wifi only with Mad Elf gps.

j_pnw

If you pair the iPad with inReach you can use it as an external GPS signal for G.

Depending on how you use the inReach, the only downside to this configuration is that it can only be paired with one device at a time. So if you want to use the app on your phone, you'll have to remove the iPad and pair it with your phone. And then do it all over again to use with the iPad.

eyemgh

If you pair the iPad with inReach you can use it as an external GPS signal for G.

Depending on how you use the inReach, the only downside to this configuration is that it can only be paired with one device at a time. So if you want to use the app on your phone, you'll have to remove the iPad and pair it with your phone. And then do it all over again to use with the iPad.

Does the InReach just complicate things? What’s its advantage verses a regular external GPS device? Like I said, I have the InReach, but I haven’t dug deeply into its functionality. I have it as an SOS device. I don’t have to use it in this configuration.

Thanks everyone for guiding a rookie! ?

outback97

Adventurer
Last edited:

eyemgh

I have an inReach Mini primarily as an SOS device too, I didn't realize it could pair with an iPad, that's cool.

For navigation we use Gaia on a cellular capable iPad Mini 4. We use the iPad and the inReach for different things, so IME it's nice having the GPS functionality built into the iPad.

There's a Gaia support forum where some posts confirm what's been mentioned previously:

Thanks for the link!

ChasingOurTrunks

I did not realize that the InReach could be used as a GPS receiver for an iPad, I'm going to explore that further.

What I did want to chime in and say is that you can also use Gaia via CarPlay, so you can get your Gaia map displayed on your vehicle's dash if you have a head unit that supports it. If not, you can always upgrade to aftermarket head units that have CarPlay as an option which results in less things up in the cab. I've found on my trips that the few items I have up front, the easier it is to walk away from the rig for a hike or a run into a store without worrying about my windows getting smashed for grab-and-go tech.

eyemgh

I did not realize that the InReach could be used as a GPS receiver for an iPad, I'm going to explore that further.

What I did want to chime in and say is that you can also use Gaia via CarPlay, so you can get your Gaia map displayed on your vehicle's dash if you have a head unit that supports it. If not, you can always upgrade to aftermarket head units that have CarPlay as an option which results in less things up in the cab. I've found on my trips that the few items I have up front, the easier it is to walk away from the rig for a hike or a run into a store without worrying about my windows getting smashed for grab-and-go tech.

The truck has Sync 3 which does support Apple CarPlay. Maybe I’ll eliminate one thing and dump the pad. The tradeoff though is that I miss out on radio and temp data when CarPlay is on. Conflicted! ?

dstefan

I have pretty much what you want to do. IPhone 12max, iPad mini 4 no cellular/gps, Gaia Pro and the bigger, older inReach. Gaia works great with this setup. Synchs between the iPhone and iPad fine. I use a Bad Elf gps also and its been flawless for 4 years. Dont find the inReach useful, except for peace of mind and occasional weather (which really isnt that good). My wife and I always travel together so no need for update texts. I had the Bad Elf before the inReach, so never tried the gps bridge.

I will say that the Pro Gaia is very worthwhile. Also, I never used to use the web based Gaia on my PC, but have started to and its very useful for planning routes in a way that I found hard or impossible on the iPad.

You wont have any trouble with your devices.

ABBB

CarPlay is useless for navigating with additional apps, don’t count it, especially if you could get lost. Your InReach mini can pair to your iPad or iPhone and be used for GPS, but all Apple products have GPS even if they aren’t connected to a cellular network. If you download the complementary Garmin Earthmate app on whichever device you pair with your mini, you can use their maps and send messages through the app as well as use the SOS function. It’s easier than navigating the menus on the mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABBB

Unfortunately not true. iPads only have a GPS chip if they are a Wi-Fi + Cellular model.

Wi-Fi only iPad models do not have a GPS chip, and won't work for off grid stand alone navigation.

That was news to me! I thought I had a wifi only but it seems that isn’t the case. Thanks [mention]outback97 [/mention] for clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwill

Observer
Gaia on an iPad is a great solution. This one is working with the internal GPS chip (it is a cellular model). The 4Runner's head unit does have Carplay but I agree with others that it isn't a great solution for back country navigation. In addition, you can see that I'm using a front facing camera on the trail so this combination works well for me.
slTDZ5U.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke