Is buying a Discovery II a bad idea?

the deputy

You know that Lucas invented darkness, right?
OMG...so glad l've switched from laptop to tablet...little more coffee proof...lol.

Luckily, the Dll uses bosch components. But, enjoyed the Lucas remark. Was driving the 110 to work the other day (which possesses the Lucas electrical wizardry) and was reaching to adjust volume on radio and just as my fingers were about to touch the radio...everything on the dash went dark. Looked up through the windshield quickly to see if everything else had gone out, too. At first glance...was like?...hmmm, really not sure if the headlights are out or not...since there isn't much difference.

Wander

Expedition Leader
My 04 has been very easy to live with, stay on top of the basics but most importantly, buy the best one you can find/ afford. 182k and frequent amigos sightings but it’s never left me stranded and is still a very comfortable ride. Not a crazy build- 3” OME lift, Med/heavy springs , ARB, diff guards, just enough to protect it on the trail (do need to add sliders at some point). Swapping the front shaft for a Tom Woods (and then greasing it regularly) is a wise move. Finding one as good as mine will be tough as it was a one owner and that person is a great friend and even better mechanic. If you find one with a great body but the engine is crap, diesel swaps really work well. Not easy or cheap but the Tdi is the best engine for this truck.

bri

Adventurer
I have a 2001 H&H P38 which is a D2 engine. Been great. Still going strong.

1998 D1 LSE also strong, but under powered.

I would do D1 vs D2, but thats just me.

The worst thing you can do is buy a $500 abused POS. You will likely have $5000 in various replacements even on a well maintained 1999 with over 100k miles.

Last edited:

MTVR

I have a 2001 H&H P38 which is a D2 engine. Been great. Still going strong.

1998 D1 LSE also strong, but under powered.

I would do D1 vs D2, but thats just me.

The worst thing you can do is buy a $500 abused POS. You will likely have $5000 in various replacements even on a well maintained 1999 with over 100k miles.

Yes- the used car with the lowest price, is often the most expensive one to own- the only thing you can purchase for a small amount of money, is someone else's past-due maintenance and repair bills...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior