Is It a Terrible Idea to Convert My Utility/Service Body Trailer to an Overland Trailer?

DBNeuhaus

Hello all, recently joined but I've lurked for a long time. I'm a finish carpenter by trade and have owned a utility/service body trailer for several years. It was never really ideal for my work and had planned on selling it but now I'm thinking about setting it up as an "overland" trailer. But also I'm thinking it might be a terrible idea and need some opinions.
The biggest downside is probably that its built like a tank. 6"x2" steel channel frame. I have no idea what it weighs but its probably a ton. I don't plan on doing any hardcore offroading but I'd like to be able to get to interesting camp sites in the North east, so maybe it would be fine. The bed and frame are in great shape with only minimal surface rust. If I do decide to go forward I'll start with sandblasting the entire rig, losing some weight where possible, ditching the axle and surge brakes for a wider axle with electric brakes and cutting the fenders out for tires matching my truck. Lose the ladder rack and build a lower mount for a RTT, that could also be swapped to my truck for shorter trips. I have zero money in this thing right now and it owes me nothing so I might give a shot, just to try and build out some cool kitchen and storage ideas in the truck box compartments. Just like some opinions on whether its a dumb idea or not. Oh also even as it sits right now with the narrow axle it tows great and my truck will have no problem pulling it, just not sure its a good starting point or not. Photo of the tow vehicle as well. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 103

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Sometimes free is very costly. You might be better off to sell it and use the cash as seed money for a scratch-build.

1000arms

I suggest you change your thread title to "Is It a Terrible Idea to Convert My Utility/Service Body Trailer to an Overland Trailer?". You will likely get more responses, and, this thread will be easier to find for anyone else with similar questions searching for answers.

1000arms

... I'm a finish carpenter by trade...

Sometimes free is very costly. You might be better off to sell it and use the cash as seed money ...
Good point in general, and great point in particular considering your profession and the steps you listed to modify what you have.

@Teardropper is a forum member and has written the book Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper.

You might find his ideas useful no matter what type of trailer or truck camper you make.

old_CWO

Tony's book is definitely good reference material. I'm brainstorming a teardrop build for next year and have been combing it for ideas. I particularly like the roof building method presented. Don't think I would have come up with it on my own.

Another handy guide is available from Scott at Compact Camping. I have his book on building small tent top trailers and it has a lot of helpful hints as well. He's got a good process for homemade doors and hatches that is very beginner friendly.

Both books are affordable and have good tips that can transfer to any number of similar DIY projects.

Thanks Guys!

billiebob

Free start is always good. Yes, weight could be a concern but weight will also keep it riding smooth and it looks like your truck will have zero issues towing it. No matter what you do you'll likely buy an axle, brakes, tires so I'd have at 'er. Looks like you could fit 40s in those wheel wells. You'll love those storage compartments on the service body.

Horrible idea.................

96295475_2519553121645572_4099771056850468864_n.jpg

DBNeuhaus

Thanks all. I have considered going the diy teardrop route and if I decide to get serious about it I'll be sure to pick up the books referenced.

1000arms

Thanks all. I have considered going the diy teardrop route and if I decide to get serious about it I'll be sure to pick up the books referenced.
You might find his ideas useful no matter what type of trailer or truck camper you make.

I suggest you click on my link (to get to his book on Amazon) and click "look inside". As Tony wrote:
You can click on the cover and read the first 23 pages without spending a dime. ...

:)

CampStewart

Observer
I think your ideas are sound. I am guessing that you still have a truck axle and springs. I would get a 7k axle. You will have a lot more cantilever from the springs out than typical which will tend to bend a lighter axle. If you still have full original truck leaf pack you can probably remove a few leafs for a better ride. Invert your shackles to gain height. Keep your current wheels.

Nice Setup! What size tires on you running? Happy with the setup?

I'm running 285/75/16's to match my 100 Series. Overall happy with it, but there are some changes I would have made. I used 2x3 .120 wall for the frame and it's just overkill. I would have changed the towing set up on it, but I've made it work. I should have just mounted the tent to the top of the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior