Is it possible to get one of these hightop TroopCarriers (or reasonable facsimile) in North America?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
@Christian P. oh wow.. that indeed seems quite random. It has been a topic in a German speaking forum but so far, I haven‘t heard of anyone actually getting rejected at the border. Thank you for the links!

By the way, is there a reason Canada and the US mostly imports RHD cruisers from Japan and Australia? We have a lot of nice LHD Land Cruisers in Europe which fit into the 25 or at least 15 years import rule.

It is easier for people to buy from Australia or Japan from the comfort of their own home. There are a few people importing from Europe but not a lot.

Cheers

@Christian P. oh wow.. that indeed seems quite random. It has been a topic in a German speaking forum but so far, I haven‘t heard of anyone actually getting rejected at the border. Thank you for the links!

By the way, is there a reason Canada and the US mostly imports RHD cruisers from Japan and Australia? We have a lot of nice LHD Land Cruisers in Europe which fit into the 25 or at least 15 years import rule.
I've been talking to my Dad about it a ton. We both would love some 70 series variants here in Canada, but in LHD. I think really the issue is you have to ship it quite a bit further when you're looking at Europe.

I drove RHD cars for years in Canada, and would probably never go back. I don't miss it.

I was wondering about this too. My first pick would always be a vehicle from Germany. If they just past safety inspection then you know that the vehicle is in fairly good condition. But the big problem is that most sellers in Germany will not reply to inquiries in english. I got that info from the turkish guy I bough my Sprinter from. It took me a lot of begging so he would agree to do business with someone from out of the country. Therefore buyers are looking into english speaking countries (GB, Japan...)

I've been talking to my Dad about it a ton. We both would love some 70 series variants here in Canada, but in LHD. I think really the issue is you have to ship it quite a bit further when you're looking at Europe.

I drove RHD cars for years in Canada, and would probably never go back. I don't miss it.
Let me know if I can help. I have people on the ground in Germany and learned a lot by importing ours.

MattScott

Writing Enthusiast.
I would second Christian's comment on the 1HZ Troopy being slow for the USA. We ultimately decided NOT to try and bring ours to the USA due to speed concerns and ended up with an HDJ81 for North America

I plan to take my LHD Troopy to S America. From what I've read some Central American countries will NOT allow a RHD vehicle into their country. I think it would be a real crapshoot and would lead to some animated discussions with immigrations.

My 1990 BJ 75 had well, the 3b engine. When I bought it I drove it up I-5 to Oregon from California. The engine was adequate.....about what I was used to with the 3FE gas. Pretty gutless but adequate. You know, like a Land Cruiser. But.....I have put in a 1HDT and man oh man...what a difference. Night and day. I'm passing people going uphill and if you've been around Land Cruisers you know that's saying something. Pretty much in love with this truck setup.

I plan to take my LHD Troopy to S America. From what I've read some Central American countries will NOT allow a RHD vehicle into their country. I think it would be a real crapshoot and would lead to some animated discussions with immigrations
This is the main reason I wanted LHD too.
I'm sure there are some report of 'greasing the wheels' to get them to let a RHD rig in, but any unwanted attention over the boarder is generally something to avoid.
Also, driving a RHD vehicle in a LHD country sucks. I did it for two years, never again.

I spent way too much time on this meme but its the truth...A van is the only real choice you have in the US or Canada. In my mind the Nissan NV comes pretty close in concept even though the off-road performance may not be as good as a Troopy.