Is my old Garmin worth using?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have an old Garmin Etrex Legend from 8 or 9 years ago. It was one of the cheaper ones at the time, and I never really learned how to use it well. I never bought any maps or anything for it either. So basically I am a GPS newb.

Given advances since I bought it, can this thing serve decently as a backcountry/overlanding GPS today? At the very least I would have to get some maps for it... not even sure how to do that, if it is even possible for a unit this "old".

I am not GPS-savvy, so use small words. I have been trying to educate myself but many of the features aren't all that clear to me because I have never used them much if at all.

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
Etrex Legend is still a good gps. I still use one for geocaching. It works fine for saving and finding given coords. Saving campsites, fishing spots, turnoffs off main roads, etc.

It dosn't have much as far as map features, but for navigation with known or given coords, it works great.

When exploring a new area it's simple to bookmark a spot, or set a breadcrumb trail, like the turnoff off main paved rd, so you have an idea of how far youv'e gone, and could retrace your route if need be.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Thanks. Maybe it is worth a try.

What would it take to improve the maps? (Guess I should review the manual :rolleyes:)

JRhetts

Adventurer
Sure it's worth a try. It's a perfectly good GPS, you own it and you can learn on it until you decide you need more capability.

Does it have a microSD slot inside next to the batteries? If so, you can download free maps to experiemtn with from the following site:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Sure it's worth a try. It's a perfectly good GPS, you own it and you can learn on it until you decide you need more capability.

Does it have a microSD slot inside next to the batteries? If so, you can download free maps to experiemtn with from the following site:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Nope. No external memory slots of any kind. This is pre-all of that fancy schmancy stuff. I keep mine in my survival kit along with paper maps (delorme) of the area I'm at. Can probably also be used as an external gps for a laptop based gps system.

DrSaabaru

I had one of those and had nothing but trouble with it. If I was under trees or if I'd even put it in my pocket, I'd lose the satellite signal. I upgraded to a more recent etrex a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems since.

If you're just starting out with GPSes, I think you'd be better off getting a newer one. If your legend is like mine was, it'll just be frustrating, and you won't know if the failures are your fault or the device's.

Last edited:

esh

Explorer
Garmin just brought out a new eTrex line. The eTrex 20 is an awesome deal at $200 for what features it has (feature similar at under half the cost of a 62). The 30 is $100 more for an electronic compass/baro.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I had one of those and had nothing but trouble with it. If I was under trees or if I'd even put it in my pocket, I'd lose the satellite signal. I upgraded to a more recent etrex a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems since.

If you're just starting out with GPSes, I think you'd be better off getting a newer one. If your legend is like mine was, it'll just be frustrating, and you won't know if the failures are your fault or the device's.

Actually it has seemed to worked fine when I have used it, mostly as a speedometer. Don't think I ever put it in my pocket though.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Garmin just brought out a new eTrex line. The eTrex 20 is an awesome deal at $200 for what features it has (feature similar at under half the cost of a 62). The 30 is $100 more for an electronic compass/baro.

I was just looking at those...they look pretty good, from what I know...which isn't much.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The Garmin Etrex 20 does look very good indeed especially at it's price point however I just got off the phone with Garmin support and was told...
- it uses a proprietary chipset developed by Garmin :ylsmoke:
- the chipset works as well as the sirfstar technology :ylsmoke:
- they are not allowed to share any details on exactly how good (or not) it compares with Sirfstar technology or any other chipsets. :Wow1:

Say WHAT?!?! Does Garmin believe that they're so high and mighty that I'll simply buy their products blindly based on what they say?

I literally chuckled on the phone with him & said I'd be buying something else then. As much as I'd like to simply trust "it's as good as the sirfstar chipset technology" I find it difficult to believe just on the word of some guy whom I don't know.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
OK, now I have to go Google "sirfstar technology"...

Sirfstar/Sirfstar III/IV is a brand/type of gps chipset that's highly regarded for it's ability to lock onto satellites even with limited line of sight to the sky such as when you're driving/hiking through deep forest coverage or are in canyons, etc. Even driving through the city with many tall buildings can disrupt or hinder reception. With Sirfstar chips, so long as you can see the sky out of a window, etc. then there's a good chance the receiver can/will still lock on.

Then I would say the Garmin guy wasn't lying. Their chips are VERY good. I can get a lock in a structure not near any windows at all.

As to the OP, I gave my father an Etrex Legend a number of years ago. They do work, but are very limited. It does not have a high sensitivity reciever. If you turn it on and start moving before it has locked on, there's a good chance it never will get a lock. Once locked on it's ok, as long as it has a decent view of the sky. But if you put it in your pocket, and you're not in the great plains, there's a good chance it will lose the lock, requiring you to stop and wait 2 minutes for it to relock before you can figure out where you are.

It's simply technology from another time. Back then, you didn't have much alternative. It was still a huge advantage compared to a map and compass that could take half a day to figure out where you are.

Other issues, limited memory, I think 8mb or something maybe 1 or 2 Topo map tiles. So it's OK for hiking, but will be limited for vehicular use. Also, the dongle you have to use to program it requires a serial port, so that's a headache.

All that aside, there's no reason NOT to use it if it's all you have and want to check out this GPS thing.

esh

Explorer
How technology has marched on. The eTrex 20/30 now have nearly 2GB of internal memory (enough to store the entire City Navigator street map set, which is *very* complete down to every dirt/gravel road you may encounter), and can take at least a 16GB microSD card. With a loaded device it will take few more seconds to boot up 18GB of map data installed, but you get a huge coverage of satellite maps, topo, and/or custom overlayed maps.

I am confused about the idea of being against proprietary chips... Garmin has never claimed to be Open Hardware? Name a cell phone that is, and actually has production? Name a TV, name a home stereo, a car, a cfl light bulb circuit that is open?

I support Garmin (with their aviation facility 1/2 mile from me, so local jobs) for their innovation, ideas and implementation, not because they are trying to turn a profit and keep their ideas protected. Anyone else is welcome to try and do it better.

The new eTrex satellite lock is very fast, and the retention after the unit has been off is excellent. They lock on satellites inside my data center, which is effectively a faraday cage and kills most cell reception.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Since you own it, why not try to use it before you junk it. Worse case scenario is that you can use it as just a GPS antenna with free Garmin software and free topo maps from the site mentioned in previous posts along with a netbook and Bob's your Uncle!.:costumed-smiley-007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles