is the 1st gen tundra one of the best platforms

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Much of the pros have already been shared, but I will throw my thoughts in as I have thought a lot about this topic.
I have owned my 06 Tundra Access Cab for 18 months.

Cons:
  • Poor quality steel frames: Add annual frame care/treatment to your maintenance schedule if you live anywhere near snow.
  • Low MPG: I am on 32s (but with a lot of extra weight) getting around 11 city 14 highway.
  • Interior is dated/ugly: The oddly shaped bubble style was popular in the late 90s. My F150 had almost the exact same styling. The lack of symmetry and constant curves make the truck feel old makes it difficult to add any aftermarket switches/gauges/radios/etc.
  • Axles: Could be bigger. Should be longer. I've got 1.25" spacers on my access cab and they still sit tucked a couple inches inside the fenders. The stock fenders on the 05/06 stick out way to far.
  • Limited aftermarket: The main stuff is available thankfully.

Ultimately, I believe the 1st gen Tundra is one of the best do-it-all pickups to keep in its stock form.
I would not buy one again to modify. If I wanted to throw mods at a truck, I would get a Tacoma.

GB_Willys_2014

Kpack nailed it.

Would also add:

The frame is plagued with rust issues. I’m constantly worried about mine so find a clean one.

Lack of factory locker but can always go aftermarket.
This.

I would still have my 00 SR5 TRD 4WD if not for the rust.

Shame, as it was such a good truck.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I know the rust issues with Toyota, I have owned share of toyota's at this point have dealt with the rust. I have a beautiful T100 sitting on the farm in MT, that I am scarred to drive over a speed bump b/c the whole frame might turn to dust.

I had a 3rd gen toyota, honestly I just really disliked it. I was never comfortable. I hated driving it long distance. I also need a full size or almost full size bed for work.

This is how I ended up with a Power Wagon, it is comfortable but man is it huge. I am trying to find the middle ground. I dont mind driving a bigger truck, I dont wheel or really run jeep trails. Some of the spots I really like to camp at in the sierra's are too tight for the PW. I have seen alot of 2nd gen tundras on these trails. Maybe that is the answer. Find a decent used one. bumper, add a locker, and some good suspension.

pside

Kpack did nail it. 1st gen Tundras lack of aftermarket support is what makes me love mine, at first the vacuum of aftermarket support made me consider selling it and getting a tacoma. After I bought a 14 trail edition 4runner, I knew I wanted to keep my truck with the v8. Having built all the cool stuff myself for this truck, now I'd never give it up.

Semi off topic, any of you guys run the motorcraft f1a oil filter? I know a few guys with tacomas and 4runners who run them for added filtering and a lower bypass pressure. Supposedly it fits the 2UZ as well, I run syntehetic and change my filters in between oil changes and was thinking of giving this a shot in hopes of achieving longer filter life

D

Deleted member 9101

Kpack did nail it. 1st gen Tundras lack of aftermarket support is what makes me love mine, at first the vacuum of aftermarket support made me consider selling it and getting a tacoma. After I bought a 14 trail edition 4runner, I knew I wanted to keep my truck with the v8. Having built all the cool stuff myself for this truck, now I'd never give it up.

Semi off topic, any of you guys run the motorcraft f1a oil filter? I know a few guys with tacomas and 4runners who run them for added filtering and a lower bypass pressure. Supposedly it fits the 2UZ as well, I run syntehetic and change my filters in between oil changes and was thinking of giving this a shot in hopes of achieving longer filter life

I always ran a Fram filter that cross refrences to the TRD filter for the 4.7. It's the same diameter, but around an inch longer.

smokeysevin

Observer
Maybe so, but you sacrifice mileage and get a lot of noise from a SC. For me upgrading to a 05+ with more power and a 5 speed was the ticket. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of my 05 Sequoia compared to my 00 Tundra (with intake, full exhaust and tune). I was expecting it to be a total dog since it carries an additional 1,000lbs but that's not the case at all. It will soon be even better with the same mods that my Tundra has.

What tune did you use? I was only aware of the unichip and urd maf calibrator.

Sean

Kpack

Adventurer
Additional con: tiny 7.5 front clamshell for such a heavy truck. I’ll be rolling the dice with my bigger tires.

I forgot about this, thanks for adding it. I grenaded my front diff soon after buying the truck. Could have been any number of things that caused it, but now I know that it's not the strongest thing in the world so I am careful how I use it. Same with the CV axles....light throttle on the trails and avoid breaking things.

GTV

What tune did you use? I was only aware of the unichip and urd maf calibrator.

Sean

UniChip. I'm going to have it recalibrated to install on my Sequoia, the Tundra will be sold. I'll say that none of the mods I've made make a substantial difference on their own, it's really the combination that adds up to a nice gain. The 4.7 is very well engineered in standard form.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I love mine
b03b45be928096b2f7399a885db09a77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles