Is the Tacoma enough truck?

Clutch

<---Pass
Mine does so well because it's a 2wd with 3.15 gears. It's pretty much the lightest supercrew that Ford makes.

My buddy has the supercrew, XLT, 2.7, 4x4, with 3.55 gears. He has stock sized all terrain tires. He gets 21-23 doing 70.

The biggest thing with the EcoBoost is watching the boost gauge: the less boost you make, the less fuel you use. Mine starts to spool the turbos at about 71-72mph... thus I set my cruise at 70.

Absolutely need 4WD here. Our Trooper is RWD, it does not too bad with studded snow tires. However...I won't take it where I take my Tacoma. If I slide the Trooper off the road, I am calling a tow truck...the Tacoma...pretty sure it can get out on its' own.

Looks like the Super Cab 2.7 4WD 6.5 bed is 4800 lbs. (can't get the 2.7 with an 8' bed it appears) Interesting that it is only 500 lbs heavier than a Access Cab Tacoma V6 4WD.

Saw a Mag Grey Super Crew 6.5' bed lifted on 33's it looked like on the way home today...gotta say it was pretty ************** looking.

bkg

Explorer
Man, the back seats of them CrewMax and F150 Supercrew are amazing. It's like a full on living room back there. I would love it.

Seats - I think they depend on the individual build. I didn't think Tundra's was anything special. I think the new 4Runner seats felt best to me.

Can’t speak for the f150, but I don’t like the seat angle on the 2014+ crew max trucks since the lost the rear seat reclining/storage.

jasmtis

Have kicked around the idea of a hatch for a commuter as well. But the better half won't let me do it with all the big trucks and semis here. She loves my Tacoma too, told me I am never allowed to get rid of it. But she would feel safer if I was in bigger truck, let the fuel economy be damned! But of course...it looks like it isn't all that bad according to Jnich77.

The big city thing was fun, no doubt about it....we had a good time that is for sure. Different phase of life now...in the piddling around the house go out exploring in the back country as much as I can stage. Where we live I can be on trail in 20-30 minutes from the house. Just got done changing the oil in my truck, and started to load some stuff to leave on Sunday. While I don't carry much, like to spread it over a couple days to make sure I don't forget anything, but I always do. The memory isn't quite what it used to be...blame it on too much fun in the city when I was younger. ;)

That is all kinds of **************. Nice color too.

Oh I wasn't after an RS because I thought it would make a good commuter, they apparently have a brutal ride and aren't very economical, but I mean it's a 350 horsepower AWD Focus!

Dude... So much truth. I was screaming yes, literally, while I read most of your post lol.

Especially the choosing line and footprint thing. A 1st gen Taco isn't the flexiest thing in the world but when you have a narrow and not long footprint you are massively reducing your need to flex.

When I was watching videos of the Morrison Jeep trail there are videos of trucks struggling with huge tires with silly offset wheels and even with lockers that were having difficulty. But with a narrow short footprint, stock suspension loaded up and extra compliant I was able to choose lines and pretty much walk right up w/o zero issues.

Try you a Rover if you want to see how lifts and tires can't replace minimal overhangs, a short wheelbase and good suspension design:

Clutch

<---Pass
Oh I wasn't after an RS because I thought it would make a good commuter, they apparently have a brutal ride and aren't very economical, but I mean it's a 350 horsepower AWD Focus!

I would get into trouble with that, need to stay away from fast cars. Remember I did get my license suspended for 6 months, because of street racing when I was 16. There is a reason why I drive the speed limit now. :D Plus that thing is a little too boy racer for me. Was thinking more on the lines of a boring Forester. Pretty much for middle aged men like myself, lesbians (nttiawwt), and lumbersexuals...at the point of life when you either give in, or have a mid-life crisis.

Though if I was going to do high horsepower and AWD, it would be this. Muscle car fans never die. The car I blew past the cop at 120 in a 45, was a '71 Chevelle.

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/homebuilt-hero-alexandre-kielwassers-all-wheel-drive-71-chevelle/

2015-11-30_17-53-47-640x427.jpg

2015-11-30_18-07-02-640x427.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

Looks like the Super Cab 2.7 4WD 6.5 bed is 4800 lbs. (can't get the 2.7 with an 8' bed it appears) Interesting that it is only 500 lbs heavier than a Access Cab Tacoma V6 4WD.

Saw a Mag Grey Super Crew 6.5' bed lifted on 33's it looked like on the way home today...gotta say it was pretty ************** looking.

With the aluminum body and new frame Ford dropped hundreds of pounds from the F150.

D

Deleted member 9101

And the Tacoma still gets crappy gas mileage. Seems like most of the 3rd Gen owners on TW all they complain about is the poor fuel economy and the lack of power.

Other than its physical size, there is really no reason to buy a new Tacoma.

I'm interested to see how the new Ranger will stack up against it. I was really hoping Ford would use the 4 cylinder EcoBoost out of the Mustang. That thing can be turned into a beast for under 500.00.

Clutch

<---Pass

I'm interested to see how the new Ranger will stack up against it. I was really hoping Ford would use the 4 cylinder EcoBoost out of the Mustang. That thing can be turned into a beast for under 500.00.

So not only the fuel economy is so-so, you have little power to boot! Not that I need a ton a power, but if the engine is soft, it should be getting better fuel consumption.

The Tacoma really isn't all that small either. The track is only 2" narrower on each side compared to a F150. Not sure why guys are convinced it is a small vehicle. They aren't anymore.

Yeah, waiting to see what the Ranger will be like, maybe mid-high 20's mpg. 300 hp/tq range. Might be the goldilocks.

Look how much bigger the 3rd gen is to the 1st. Would of been nice to have an early 80's Pickup (HiLux) in there too...then you could really see the bloat over the years. Interesting enough, is that the 1st gen beat the 3rd gen in a drag race....the 2nd gen flat out smoked it. Not that I am into drag racing anymore, but...

toyota-tacoma-drag-race-1st-vs-2nd-vs-3rd-gen-1-700x325-jpg.2525522

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
And the Tacoma still gets crappy gas mileage. Seems like most of the 3rd Gen owners on TW all they complain about is the poor fuel economy and the lack of power.
Meh, they're worse than ExPo over there about complaining. They say the 1GR lacks power, which is ridiculous. Seems to me most of them want trucks that are nothing more than really cars.
Size makes it, though. That's why I replaced my FJ40 with a mini truck in the first place (the FJ40 actually replaced a pickup truck, a Ford Ranger, so it was going back to a truck really). It had space where I needed it without being a full size.

I still don't need a full size and fair number of others agree, which is why the Tacoma never went out of production and the segment is growing again. I may consider the new Ranger but it will have to be in a few years, so hopefully they stick with it. I want to say this Tacoma is the last truck I buy but there may yet be another. My previous truck lasted me 16 years so this one will put me at 63 years old at that rate.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer

That is the exact motor going into it.

This thread was a good read. I'm still a couple years out from replacing my ECSB Silverado, but I'm still torn between SUV and a pickup. I'm not a Ford guy at all, but the 2.7 checks all the boxes and the new 7.3 gasser (pushrod!!!) 250/350 sounds promising too.

Clutch

<---Pass
Meh, they're worse than ExPo over there about complaining. They say the 1GR lacks power, which is ridiculous. Seems to me most of them want trucks that are nothing more than really cars.

Ha ha! so true! The sports sedan people have ruined the Toyota mini-truck.

I don't mind the lack of power, have been drivien under powered turds for 26 years now. It is the lack of fuel economy that is BS. Like that guy the other day checking out my truck asking if it got 30 mpg...and I burst out laughing. That reminded me *lowering head* yeah the fuel economy is bullchit for such a small truck.

We both know what the answer is...diesel HiLux, but that will never happen here. What really burns is seeing the other manufactures offer diesel and Toyota resfuses to do so. Like ****** Toyota!?

It is like loyal Honda fans waiting for them to bring back 2-Stroke dirt bikes, while all of the other manufactures are thriving with their 2-Strokes. Honda used to reign supreme in the dirt bike world...now they are made fun of. Kinda like what is happening to Toyota trucks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

So not only the fuel economy is so-so, you have little power to boot! Not that I need a ton a power, but if the engine is soft, it should be getting better fuel consumption.

The Tacoma really isn't all that small either. The track is only 2" narrower on each side compared to a F150. Not sure why guys are convinced it is a small vehicle. They aren't anymore.

Yeah, waiting to see what the Ranger will be like, maybe mid-high 20's mpg. 300 hp/tq range. Might be the goldilocks.

What shocked me about the new Tacoma is how large it has gotten, yet the interior is still comparably small.
That is the exact motor going into it.

This thread was a good read. I'm still a couple years out from replacing my ECSB Silverado, but I'm still torn between SUV and a pickup. I'm not a Ford guy at all, but the 2.7 checks all the boxes and the new 7.3 gasser (pushrod!!!) 250/350 sounds promising too.

On man, if that's the motor than it's going to be epic. You can easily and relatively cheaply get more power of of them.

I'm interested in the 7.3 as well, but more from a modify it to make more power aspect. I'm hoping the aftermarket will jumping on it they way they did the LS motors.

I love my little 2.7. It shocks most people when they take one for a test drive. I had to tow my buddies 9k camper from outside of Mobile Al to Kissimmee Fl and it didn't with no fuss. I had no problem pulling hills at 70 mph.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't mind the lack of power,
I don't either. I loved my 1991 but knowing now what I do I would have 100% put a 1GR into it. Zero question. Other than the disappointment on the lack of a pilot bearing and alloy throwout sleeve in the RA62 and the electronic shift t-case I really do like the drivetrain of my Tacoma. It's still a truck engine, good torque and low RPM power but has no trouble holding a freeway speed.
diesel HiLux
I'd of course like that but just offering a D-4D in a Tacoma would suffice for me.
Honda used to reign supreme in the dirt bike world...now they are made fun of. Kinda like what is happening to Toyota trucks.
Yeah, I guess. They made markets for reliable, simple, affordable vehicles and that's still their reputation. But they slowly drifted away from that in North America in actual vehicles.

Clutch

<---Pass
What shocked me about the new Tacoma is how large it has gotten, yet the interior is still comparably small.

The interior bed space is smidge bigger on the 1st gen...that plastic bed takes up a lot of room. And yeah, I felt cramped on the interior too. I liked it, but felt small...the looking out over the bulbous hood, the truck felt closer to a 1/2 ton than it felt like my 1st gen.

There really is no reason to make the truck physically bigger if you aren't going to gain in cargo space or interior. And before someone spouts off about safety...remember the Yaris exists...if they can cram all the safety stuff in that rollerskate of a car, they could of crammed it a truck the size of a 1st gen Tacoma.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't either. I loved my 1991 but knowing now what I do I would have 100% put a 1GR into it. Zero question. Other than the disappointment on the lack of a pilot bearing and alloy throwout sleeve in the RA62 and the electronic shift t-case I really do like the drivetrain of my Tacoma. It's still a truck engine, good torque and low RPM power but has no trouble holding a freeway speed.

The 4.0 I like...the new 3.5 wasn't impressed. They made the truck slower, and still gets crappy gas mileage...c'mon Toyota!

I'd of course like that but just offering a D-4D in a Tacoma would suffice for me.

That would work for me...in the size of a 1st Gen would be even better. 30 mpg easy peazy. Smaller is better for running trails as everyone is saying...

Yeah, I guess. They made markets for reliable, simple, affordable vehicles and that's still their reputation. But they slowly drifted away from that in North America in actual vehicles.

Don't think the new Toyotas are as well built as people think. Legend has over taken reality.

5 years ago, wouldn't even look at a Ford, but now....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles