Is the Tacoma enough truck?

phsycle

Adventurer
I just saw a Motortrend video of a R2.8 being fit into a TJ. That would be cool in a Pickup or 1st Gen.

tacollie

Glamper
Does anyone have any actual experience with the current Hilux? I'm just curious if it lives up to it's reputation at this point. From my limited experienced Ford has one upped on them with the ranger (all word of mouth from my brother in NZ).

bkg

Explorer
I just saw a Motortrend video of a R2.8 being fit into a TJ. That would be cool in a Pickup or 1st Gen.

There are a couple of Toyota’s wth then already. Iirc, a 1st gen tacoma and a 2nd gen pickup. Check Dirt Every Day - I think they were part of the pickup effort.

Downfall - many, many electronics make it less than ideal for EMP situations. ?

DorB

Adventurer
Does anyone have any actual experience with the current Hilux? .

Friend upgraded from a 1997 hilux to a 2018 diesel Hilux.
He think it’s better in every aspect in overall performance.

Yes,
The front independent suspension travel is inferior to the live axle, but that’s about it.

Clutch

<---Pass
The point was, the guy went back to a Toyota. "Boring" because they had been so reliable for him. I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd want a 79 here. Wasn't there some April fools joke Toyota was bringing it over?

New Tacoma's....you could get a DCSB TRD OR, 6MT, for $32-33k. Few thousand less for an AC.

Sweet camp spot! I love fall camping.

Thanks, favorite time of year to camp and ride.

Dunno, one of my good riding buddies likes gas F350 CCLB’s....he runs his up to 250K. Hard side camper pulling a 7X12 enclosed trailer chasing races all over the West...and he ain’t easy on them either. I have ridden with him...he drives like he races...on the edge.

Taco DCSB are mostly useless....don’t even know why those exist. My 6’ bed is barely adequate. Packed a little more for this trip. Can’t even imagine getting a smaller bed. It is pretty tight in there with 24x48 table and chuck box. Find myself liking being to boil water for coffee and warm things up in the camper.

Every time I take these type of trips which is often, all this jockeying stuff around is getting old....a nice built out enclosed trailer comes to mind. Just open the door and step in...everything is ready to go.

Damn good day on the trail. All this talk about vehicles getting bigger and widening the trail....you guys need to get a moto and keep single track...single. ?

D6751269-6792-44B3-A5D4-454DCC630ACC.jpeg

Last edited:

jasmtis

Nah, I'm hip to what you're saying. You want what needs to flex to flex, what shouldn't not to.

But in this case I can speak with some experience. I had to add bed side stiffeners to my Tacoma this year because the sides were starting to open. This in and of itself isn't exceptional, all pickups can and will do this in time when you use them as intended and especially when you have a topper. But what is different is this on a 10 year old truck at 82k miles, only my 40k so far with the topper on it.

View attachment 474339

My old truck did start failing here, too. But the truck was made per typically Hilux-esque (so to speak) so the gap had grown to roughly the same (as gauged unscientifically by the tailgate being difficult to open) at 287k. But also with a WilderNest on it for 187k of those miles. Which you may or may not know when closed has a large spring that puts a spreading force on the bed sides. The spring is designed to prevent the lid from slamming shut and to assist in opening the camper, it's under some considerable force when closed.

It's little things like that this that in my mind indicate the Tacoma is built down to a level they view is suited for us. Which is fine, I don't blame Toyota for their decisions. Whether a more rigid frame has anything to do with it or not, I dunno. I have to think any flexing through the frame gets transmitted to the box. These trucks are not designed to flex offroad like a Unimog or something might be. Any twist is going to stress the body and box as they are mounted with several fixed points with firm rubber pucks. In the case of the Tacoma box they didn't do that. There's only rubber sleeves around the hold-down bolts to allow the box to shift. I put 1/8" thick shim pads between the frame and the box to give it at least a little cushion and give and ability to slide (I actually used UHMW).

View attachment 474356
View attachment 474352

Huh, this is my first truck and I didn't even know that was something that could happen. I'll have to watch out for that, a topper of some sort is probably in my future sooner or later.

Taco DCSB are mostly useless....don’t even know why those exist. My 6’ bed is barely adequate. Packed a little more for this trip. Can’t even imagine getting a smaller bed. It is pretty tight in there with 24x48 table and chuck box. Find myself liking being to boil water for coffee and warm things up in the camper.

Every time I take these type of trips which is often, all this jockeying stuff around is getting old....a nice built out enclosed trailer comes to mind. Just open the door and step in...everything is ready to go.

Damn you all are spoiled, I have no idea what to do with all the space in my bed. Then again I could fit all of my gear into the back seat if I really wanted to and until recently I would regularly take 4 camping in my 2nd gen 4Runner. I mean I haven't had a whole lot of time for gear acquisition and most of my camping gear was purchased with backpacking in mind but the hell are you all bringing??

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks, favorite time of year to camp and ride.

Dunno, one of my good riding buddies likes gas F350 CCLB’s....he runs his up to 250K. Hard side camper pulling a 7X12 enclosed trailer chasing races all over the West...and he ain’t easy on them either. I have ridden with him...he drives like he races...on the edge.

Damn good day on the trail. All this talk about vehicles getting bigger and widening the trail....you guys need to get a moto and keep single track...single. ?

View attachment 474593

Well, DCSB is the most popular platform... I think it strikes a good balance for most people, including myself. I don't want to deal with a longbed for the majority of my driving miles. 5ft bed is great for house projects and yard work duties (Just picked up a couple hundred pounds of fertilizer just yesterday). Camping wise, I took my entire family on a 3-day trip last summer. No issues. I keep things light. If I had a shell, I'd have had more than enough space. Double cab is nice. I need back seats for the kids and won't want to go with a longbed, as I'd probably just jump to a fullsize at that point.

Those Ford/Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons are pretty stout for sure. I'd just hate to drive that thing daily. It'd be a 3rd vehicle for sure. But for now, Taco DCSB is working out great.

Sweet singletrack. Now, if I could get those pesky dirt bikers to stop tearing up the singletrack for mtbiking and trail running. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
Damn you all are spoiled, I have no idea what to do with all the space in my bed. Then again I could fit all of my gear into the back seat if I really wanted to and until recently I would regularly take 4 camping in my 2nd gen 4Runner. I mean I haven't had a whole lot of time for gear acquisition and most of my camping gear was purchased with backpacking in mind but the hell are you all bringing??

You gotta remember I went through the back packing stage in my life. Compared to the rest of my moto buds...I am a minimalist.

15 gallon water/5 gallon stainless mash pot for a shower. The pot has a spigot on the side for a garden hose. Get filthy riding all day like to be clean before I climb into my sleeping bag.

Camp Mate Chuck Box
52 qt cooler
2 24X48 Golding tables. One for in the camper another for outside.
Moto gear bag
Day clothes gear bag
Folding bike stand. Doubles as work stand and to set cooler on in the camper or outside
Large tackle box, that has various fasteners and parts for the bike.
5 & 1 gallon gas cans
Chainsaw
Lantern
Propane a couple small bottles for the stove and lantern. 15 pounder for Mr Heater
Shower privy
Small box for dry goods
Pillow
Shovel
Small broom
2 ammo boxes. One has tie downs, bungees recovery equip. The other various fluids.
Rainfly for the leaky Wildernest.
Hammock
Lawn chair
Bicycle floor pump
Klim Crew Pak (back pack)
Chest Protector
5X8 open trailer and dirt bike
And some odds and ends.

Last nights dinner view, elk came back two nights in a row in the meadow below.

F83F8E2C-6923-4E76-9774-89845D2D6554.jpeg

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, DCSB is the most popular platform...

Sweet singletrack. Now, if I could get those pesky dirt bikers to stop tearing up the singletrack for mtbiking and trail running. :D

Well I think they are **********’ dumb. ?

People daily their 3/4-1 tons here. Heck my client in the other day dailys her F250...and gets the same gas mileage as my Tacoma!

All the trails I was on were originally pack animal trails for miners...now maintained by motorcyclist. All of the trail signage had one sticker. Moto....

Who do you think maintains those trails? There is a reason I carry a chainsaw. Rode the same trails that I cleared 100 blow downs in the spring. Sure felt nice enjoying the fruits of my labor yesterday. Cause I know the trail runners and mountain bikers sure aren’t going to do it...they’ll only go around widening the trail.

I have yet to see anyone from the hiking or mountain bike clubs come to our trail maintenance days. Well...maybe myself since I do all three. ??

I don’t get it. I am a very polite trail user. I yield to everyone. Stop and shut the bike off...make room so people can pass. Chat them up by saying something nice. Like “what a wonderful day to be enjoying the outdoors” sorta of thing. 9 times out of 10 I am met with hostility and given an earful. Some ********** angry people out there. And here I am clearing trail so they can get though easier...I get tired of being nice to arseholes. Not even sure why some leave the comfort of their homes if being outside makes them that hostile.

We should learn to share....

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Well I think they are **********’ dumb. ?

Dumb is a guy moaning and groaning about his clapped out crusty truck, getting the green light from the wife to get a new/newer truck, and not only NOT going out to get one, but continuing to moan, groan about it, while distracting himself with 1,500 "what'd work best" scenarios. SQUIRRELL!!!

All the trails I was on were originally pack animal trails for miners...now maintained by motorcyclist. All of the trail signage had one sticker. Moto....

Who do you think maintains those trails? There is a reason I carry a chainsaw. Rode the same trails that I cleared 100 blow downs in the spring. Sure felt nice enjoying the fruits of my labor yesterday. Cause I know the trail runners and mountain bikers sure aren’t going to do it...they’ll only go around widening the trail.

I have yet to see anyone from the hiking or mountain bike clubs come to our trail maintenance days. Well...maybe myself since I do all three. ??

It's the opposite here. Mtn bikers do more than any other groups. Including equestrians. There is a favorite trail of mine up the canyon, but over the years, dirt bikes and horses have thrashed it. It's unrideable for me in a few sections. I'm sure bicycle/foot traffic impacts the erosion as well, but not as bad as motorized or animal traffic.

Clutch

<---Pass
phsycle said:
It's the opposite here. Mtn bikers do more than any other groups. Including equestrians. There is a favorite trail of mine up the canyon, but over the years, dirt bikes and horses have thrashed it. It's unrideable for me in a few sections. I'm sure bicycle/foot traffic impacts the erosion as well, but not as bad as motorized or animal traffic.

What I don’t understand is, it is perfectly fine for people to drive their petrol powered vehicles on nice wide PAVED roads to get to the trailhead...but heaven forbid you ride a dirt bike on them.

Like most things in life hypocrisy runs wild....

phsycle

Adventurer
What I don’t understand is, it is perfectly fine for people to drive their petrol powered vehicles on nice wide PAVED roads to get to the trailhead...but heaven forbid you ride a dirt bike on them.

Like most things in life hypocrisy runs wild....

I ride my bike to the trails.

Dalko43

Explorer
My take is that there are some areas where heavy-impact traffic (motorized, equestrian) should be allowed, as long as the proper maintenance efforts are in place, and there are other areas which should be restricted to foot and bicycle traffic (wilderness areas are a prime example).

I do get a little sick of the of the blame game that various factions play with one another: bicycle traffic is okay but motorcycle traffic is bad; jeep traffic is acceptable but full-size vehicles aren't allowed; snowmobilers tend to dislike any other forms of traffic on their trails.

If the land in question is public, then people need to accept that there will be multiple uses in certain areas. Demonizing groups of people who recreate differently from you is counterproductive and divisive. Keep in mind, there are factions out there which want all forms of horse, motorized and mechanical traffic prohibited and want everyone walking around the trails in Teva's and 'eco-friendly' clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles