Is the Toyota Land Cruiser based on the Tundra or Tacoma?

XJLI

Adventurer
Yeah it is, but does it got the beefy patrol frame, or something lighter/weaker for **************** comfort reasons? And is the IFS/IRS at least somewhat comparable to the Toyos?

I think it's probably safe to say the 2017+ Armada is Patrol under the skin. First it's made in Japan (just like the 200 series and 4Runner still are, BTW). The Armada has a 1,723 lbs payload and 7,300 lbs GVWR, so similar capacities to a UZJ200.

Hm does the Armada have the same suspension as the Patrol/Infinitiy QX80? Because i see a lot of lift kits with the Armada - is that possible with the HBMCS? I thought that was like the air suspension - hard to modify at all?

The ROW Y62 and NAS Armada/QX80 have the same frame, suspension, etc; but get a neutered tcase, front, and rear axle assemblies. The NAS one has the R160 and R200 axles IIRC, whereas the ROW one has MUCH beefier 9" and 10" axles, along with the rear locker and all the traction control goodies. I believe only the QX80 gets the HBMC. It works like Land Rover's cross axle air suspension, but it uses hydraulic fluid like LC/LXs. It's pretty unfortunate Nissan decided to neuter the truck so much, it would be a great world-spec LC alternative.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
@XJLI

I don't really get that, what is ROW and NAS? And how can a Y62 have axles, i thought the truck always uses independant suspensions? So is the HBMC (which is apparently also used in the Patrol Y62 over here in Germany) as fragile and upfitter unfriendly as the air suspension?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@XJLI

I don't really get that, what is ROW and NAS? And how can a Y62 have axles, i thought the truck always uses independant suspensions? So is the HBMC (which is apparently also used in the Patrol Y62 over here in Germany) as fragile and upfitter unfriendly as the air suspension?
I believe he means ROW = Rest Of the World (e.g. the global Patrol) and NAS = North American spec. We're both in the U.S.A. so it may be a matter of world perspective.

Reactions: plh

XJLI

Adventurer
I believe he means ROW = Rest Of the World (e.g. the global Patrol) and NAS = North American spec. We're both in the U.S.A. so it may be a matter of world perspective.

Yup.

IFS and IRS still have axles and diffs, theyre just not solid ones. Y61 is the solid axle truck. 2002-2010 Infiniti and 2003-2016 Nissan are Titan based, 2010+ Infiniti and 2017+ Nissan are Y62 Patrol based.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
But isnt the Patrol (the ROW one) the exact same since 2010? And that 2010+ ROW one got a bigger IFS/IRS compare to the US-version? Why? Unfortunatly it appears the ROW Version also has the HBMC, only the "Desert Edition" comes without it.

nickw

Adventurer
The ROW Y62 and NAS Armada/QX80 have the same frame, suspension, etc; but get a neutered tcase, front, and rear axle assemblies. The NAS one has the R160 and R200 axles IIRC, whereas the ROW one has MUCH beefier 9" and 10" axles, along with the rear locker and all the traction control goodies. I believe only the QX80 gets the HBMC. It works like Land Rover's cross axle air suspension, but it uses hydraulic fluid like LC/LXs. It's pretty unfortunate Nissan decided to neuter the truck so much, it would be a great world-spec LC alternative.
That's cant be right, 160 is very small...

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Yeah that's what i heard to, also the J200 is getting used for armored version often and one guy i asked there told me, that up to 10.000lbs they only change the shocks (but then again, those are not used for offroading anymore). However the G-Wagon with the wider axles has a 9500lbs rating for offroad use and a gigantic payload, while beeing the same size and of high quality, just the price is a huge turnoff

My buddy works in Fallon Nevada on the base and works on up-armored land cruisers. They still take them off road.

nickw

Adventurer
You're right. I re-checked... its R180 front, R230 rear. Still only a 7" ring gear up front. ROW gets C200 front, R248 rear.
Yeah, it's very small....smaller than any of the midsize pickups (with lower GVWR) and I think the same as the Frontier. A bit iffy with a rig that size and a big V8 engine.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
But why would they wait until 2017 to entwer a vehicle that has been around the world till 2010, only to give it a different name and also unnecessary smaller diffs???

nickw

Adventurer
But why would they wait until 2017 to entwer a vehicle that has been around the world till 2010, only to give it a different name and also unnecessary smaller diffs???
Smaller diffs help gas mileage and are cheaper.....based on assumed use case in the US, aka driving on roads, what's the point of the stronger stuff?

With that said, I think folks get too wrapped up in this stuff sometimes. If it's not loaded down with big tires, the stock rig will likely be fine in 99% of use cases and what most folks on here actually do...vs what the think they are going to do.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
So how can one make sure he got the good stuff under the truck? Is checking the serial number to be sure about the heritage the trick? Oh and i guess that nice Desert Edition without any fancy pants air/hydraulic/whatever suspension is way to rare to really look for it outside the UAE?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke