Is there something between a teardrop and a regular caravan?

PCO6

Adventurer
Just revisiting this thread because I'm about to take delivery of a Clipper Express 9.0TD. It's a "light duty" tear drop with a pop up lid that will allow me to stand up inside. It's definitely NOT off road ready … but it will be fun to make that way. I bought it in large part because I like the sloping lid. I'll be fabricating kayak racks as the first of many planned improvements. The first 2 pics are of the one I bought. The 3rd one is from the web and shows the lid raised. I think these are called Vikings in the US.

ratled

Adventurer
Just revisiting this thread because I'm about to take delivery of a Clipper Express 9.0TD. It's a "light duty" tear drop with a pop up lid that will allow me to stand up inside. It's definitely NOT off road ready … but it will be fun to make that way. I bought it in large part because I like the sloping lid. I'll be fabricating kayak racks as the first of many planned improvements. The first 2 pics are of the one I bought. The 3rd one is from the web and shows the lid raised. I think these are called Vikings in the US.

View attachment 505066View attachment 505067View attachment 505068

You have to do a separate thread for this one!

PCO6

Adventurer
ratled - I have lots of plans "in my head" but figure that it will be best to use it as is for a few trips first. I like the basic concept. If I find that the quality, durability, etc. isn't going to be good in the long run or simply that the dimensions are a bit "off" I might just use it as a guide for my own build. I have lots to do in the meantime with 2 other builds underway (see post #36 above).

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I had very similar requrements and came to the conclusion that I have to build a trailer by myself...

@Albatross , Where did you source the panels and the extrusion to build the foam box? Looks like an awesome build! Congratulations. do you have a build thread somewhere? Are you happy with it?

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I forgot about those guys.

Those are great little rigs for smaller tow vehicles.

I do wonder how “off-road” they are though.

What drives me nuts about so many domestic campers, as well as vehicles, is the marketing these things get for the off road crowd. Just look at the debacle with GM not warranting Colorado’s with air bag deployment on dirt roads. It’s very disconcerting. There needs to be some sort of scale or rating system in place for capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These trailers are designed to be towed behind a Subaru. Not built for rough roads.

I had a tiger moth for three months. While I liked the design , after 13,000 miles the trailer frame broke on our way home from Alaska.

justbecause

perpetually lost
@Albatross , Where did you source the panels and the extrusion to build the foam box? Looks like an awesome build! Congratulations. do you have a build thread somewhere? Are you happy with it?

he has a build in his signature, if you're on mobile I dont think those show up.

Albatross

Search the web for insulated FRP panels or search for companies building refrigerated trucks and waggons/trailors/shelter, they need these panels.
Build thread in my signature: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...f-a-biwak-box-upon-an-offroad-trailer.158673/
... and I still love my Biwak Box...

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Great, thanks.

your English is good enough that I didn't initially realize that you are German and that I wouldn't be able to source panels from the same place as you.

I'll see what I can find near me.

Lucky j

Explorer
Nucamp offer a T@B outback or now boondock package. Not super off road type, but nice ground clearance (I think) and fairly light.

Larger off road tires, higher ground clearance, solar as option, black and grey water. Ac with shore power or geny heat and fridge on propane/battery and shore power.

Good for back roads. No protection for hard off road.

Could be interesting for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94