Is this Cobra CB any good?

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I know several people that have one. I had one but sold it and now have the Midland 72-822... or something like that. It is the Midland version of the Cobra.

*edit- oh yes, the Cobra is good from what people tell me! sorry didnt mention that!

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I just put one in my Taco and have another one to go in my FJ40 (replacing a Uniden). Nothing wrong with the Uniden, its been a great radio, but the 75WXST works killer and is very sleek to mount. I put the contol box behind the ash tray on my Tacoma...

Attachments

• Taco 027 (Medium).jpg
    Taco 027 (Medium).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 52

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
flyingwil said:
A CB is a CB, from what I hear it is all about the antenna since they are all limited to 4w if I remember correctly.

Yup, that's pretty much true. A radio needs to be working right and so having the once over done on it is worthwhile, which is generally just a tune-up to make sure it's within specs. Your antenna is far more important for range than anything. This is true of all radios, not just CB.

I've heard good things about these Cobras, they work great and are very convenient. I really dig the install with the box behind the dash, super clean!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I had problems with that radio - the handset failed twice, and was repaired the first time under warrenty. The second failure was after the warrenty expired, so I replaced the unit with a cheapy from Radio Shack.

The first failure was due to vibration cracking a solder joint - don't know what happened the second time...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
crawler#976 said:
I had problems with that radio - the handset failed twice, and was repaired the first time under warrenty. The second failure was after the warrenty expired, so I replaced the unit with a cheapy from Radio Shack.

The first failure was due to vibration cracking a solder joint - don't know what happened the second time...

Where did you have the handset mounted? I'd have thought the base part being hard mounted would have the vibration issues and not the handset.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I had the handset mounted to the dash using the supplied mike hanger. The remote box was mounted to the floor under the right front edge of the d'side seat. That worked out well for the mic cord - it was basicly half way between the dash and my mouth when using the mic.

Dave

Explorer
I had that CB in my Jeep for several years and then transplanted it to my Tacoma once the Jeep was gone. I removed the ash tray and mounted the junction box in the back of the now vacant space. I haven't found a place I like for mounting the handset, so for now it lays between the driver seat and the console. I don't use my CB all that often, but it gets the job done when I need it. Honestly, lately I use it more for the NOAA bands then anything else.

The handset is heavier then a typical CB handset, of course. I might suggest getting an aux. speaker as well. Sometimes the speaker in the handset can be hard to hear.

+ d

Adventurer
I've got one too, works great so far!

Here's a link to my installation...the only 'unique' aspect of it is that I rigged up a quick-disconnect for my magmount antenna. It seemed preferable to go with optimum antenna location and have it removable rather than try and keep the location street friendly and have my reception suffer.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I have had the 75 series now for 3 years. I took it in and had it tuned up. It works great and the range is fantastic with my new antenna mount on the cargo rack.

I did run a seperate ground wire for the antenna but the height gained in the new mount added a lot of range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94