Is your gen 1crap on the highway

1morebike

Adventurer
1990 lwb and its crap on the highway and im not sure if I'm just expecting to much from it. 65 is the max, it could go faster but at that point is shaking pretty good. I have replaced both user control arms, all the ball joints and tie rods, new Cooper at3 tires and fresh alignment. It wanders alot at speed and there is vibration that feels like maybe a u joint maybe. But maybe that's the way it rides I know its 24 year old truck at this point

Oso

Forest Defecator
i can roll at 70 without too much fuss. FWIW - that is flat ground. Hills are another matter. The 3.0 is anemic, but I've had it past 80 - once or twice. the older i get the happier I am to hang in the right lane and just cruise my old school suv on the way to a trail.

plh

Explorer
My SWB '88 cruises along at highway speed without shakes. Power becomes an issue. Not very aero. All the steering components have been replaced / rebuilt as well as the front wheel bearings within the last 5K miles or so - so its tight.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
My 1990 w/ rxinhed and my 89 were both fine for power at sea level. Gps verified 90mph on my 2-door and chp radar gun verified 108mph on my 4-door. Happened on flat stretches in both situations. Both had 33x12 mt tires, rock skids, and a custom front bumper.

My rolled 1990 was also a good runner but I never tried to go that fast with it.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I have an 89 SWB. It has 33" tires. It feels a little underpowered but it rolls at 90mph regularly on I-84 between Portland, OR & Pasco, WA. I've never experienced any steering wobble, nor vibrations, nor drifting in lanes from soft steering.

I have experienced a little engine warming from time to time. For instance when on a long incline, it may warm up on me and move about three or four needle widths.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Vibration and wander on your '90 could also be attributed to rear axle control arm bushings.

On flats, I could push my 4-cyl Raider to about 85, but it felt I was waiting for the next millenia. Roxy was very happy to do 70 all day.

My turbo Mighty Max is another animal and would cruise between Red Bluff to Sacramento on I-5 doing 85 with ease, if I desired.

bitoy

Observer
Mine's a real dog on the highway. 2.5td on 31's. Content at cruising 55-60 mph. No sense in blowing a gasket.

ultrakill

Adventurer
My '90 LWB can roll at 75 mph all day with little wind on flat ground. I can push it to almost 80 but I usually cruise at 70 mph GPS verified (75 needle indicated). All front suspension/steering components have been replaced, I have very little wander on my 235/75/15 BFG AT tires.

Going up mountains it's a bit of a dog, gotta keep the revs up if you want to go anywhere, but always makes it there. Thinking about putting on a snorkel, heard that will give you a slight power increase, but not sure I want to tear up my beautiful fender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles