Issue with door lock and window slow going up and down

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
On my 2000 XJ The drivers side door won’t lock. The other doors lock and now the windows are slow going up and down.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Didn’t see any broken wires, I only asked on multiple forums because someone might have had the same issue. I won’t ask on any forums.

Heavyopp

Observer
Lots of people have the same issues, and it starts with confirming the condition of the wires connecting the door to the frame -- Think about it, you have a 20 year old vehicle, I don't know your milage but think about how many times that door has been opened and shut -- those wires get abused and break

If you're sure they are good then next step is to pull the drivers door panel and confirm that the door lock mechanism gets power -- Then jump the door lock mechanism and see if it works bypassing all the jeep switches -- while you are in there jump the window motor and see if it runs full speed

Use fully charged battery with a fused jumper wire set of at least 12 gauge wire

Check for binding in the door lock linkage

If everything checks out OK then you need to go to the passenger door and check that switch out -- The passenger switch is the master switch for the locks, I'm not sure about the windows

I'd still put money on bad wires in the driver door though -- how exactly did you check them?

Heavyopp

Observer
And make sure you don't have the keys in the ignition when tying to diagnose the power door locks -- On a 2000 XJ the doors will not lock with the keys in the ignition

billiebob

SELL IT NOW.

We went thru this with our '04. The dealer said replace the wiring harness, I thought bring it on. Then I found out, not the wiring harness to the door..... the entire vehicle wiring harness, $1400.00, no guarantee it would solve the problem. We traded it for a new Subaru. Do I feel guilty? NO, they wholesaled it. It likely went to auction. BUYER BEWARE. There was no misrepresentation.

With all the multiplexing going on, even the dealers don't have a clue.

Last edited:

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
couldn’t find the issue with the electrical system so I had to have it looked at. Found out it was a loose bolt under the dashboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles