Issues with Inka Outdoors

jadmt

ignore button user
I am amazed at how some people don't mind being screwed over. My guess if they were in the OP's shoes they would not take the screwing so willingly or maybe they would. I have never sued anyone before and never have had to hire an attorney in my 59 years but I would in this case. I would say it is bordering on fraud. a month late yea a year no way.

Buffalobwana

Observer
If I understand the situation correctly, the delay will be at least 12 months, more than double the estimate. That is not reasonable whether it’s addressed in the contract or not
Agreed. I suspect we don’t know the full extent of the situation and the stink Inka is in though.
I really have no dog in the fight but from a 3rd person perspective, it’s a no brainer. OP should get a full refund.
I agree again. However, giving in to his request, now that he has gone public, would set a disasterous precedent for them in dealing with future requests for guys in the same situation, and it appears they don’t have the cash flow to accommodate one refund, much less dozens.

The irony of using a public talk forum as leverage for movement on his trailer, is that he locked himself into his contractual obligations even firmer.

I have done what he is doing with good results when a company was screwing me over, and it worked. A check for $4500 magically appeared in my mailbox within days of starting a topic like this. But, to use a worn out cliche, the ‘net is a double edged sword.

Again, this is just my objective view of the situation and I hope for the best outcome for him. Best case, in time, he gets his trailer and can put this all behind him.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Again, this is just my objective view of the situation and I hope for the best outcome for him. Best case, in time, he gets his trailer and can put this all behind him.

I see what you did there! :)

I think the OP was screwed, but at this point what is a guy to do. Warn others, as he is doing. I really hope both sides can make this happen. As for you folks who say he will can wait and then just sell it and make his money back, maybe one of you can offer to buy it for that amount. Its a $30k trailer, not exactly like buying a used Land Cruiser or something.. well maybe it is.. they are ridiculously holding their value.

Anyhow, its not as easy said than it is done. At this point I think his offer to pay for the builders time to design it was fair, after all the builder hasn't spent any money in building it. I have no dog in this hunt, just hate to see someone get the shaft and I hate to see a promising trailer builder get a bad rap (we don't have a lot to chose from). Again, hope both sides make this work.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Silverback, I was thinking more along the lines of him being able to get the trailer he wanted from the beginning and enjoy it, not sell it.

It will be the same trailer he wanted, the only difference is the anger. Can he put that behind him? He’s in it this far. Turn back now and start over with a new company and get his trailer later than he would get this one? Or stick with it and wait this one out?

I see this happen a lot with custom gun makers. A guy gets popular with his work, takes on too many orders and winds up years behind. If you have very specific requests that involve multiple talented gunsmiths, your custom rifle can be 5-8 years away.

The difference is the expectations were not set properly. He based his decision on build time, not on the trailer itself. Had they told him 24 months he would not have bought it.

Shame on them.

RacerAV

Man, what a crap situation! I'm glad I had no issues with my trailer. I'd be hard pressed to buy something for $30k without it actually existing, or having a REALLY well spelled out contract and plenty of reviews from previous customers.

Customer service is MORE important than the widget a company makes. IMO. No matter the quality, if a company is there to help you no questions asked for your ownership, that's rad, and I'd buy whatever it is they make, from now on.

Hope Inka can turn it around and pump out some great trailers, make lots of money from lots of happy customers. Hope the OP gets his money back, or a trailer asap... Sucks being forced into the public spotlight, but hey, you run a public company and are asking for their money! Is what it is. Just be honest with yourself, and your customers. It'll pay off!

Pathfinder7

I just wanted to give a quick update on this. Mike and I spent quite a bit of time hashing this out on the phone and we have come to a mutually beneficial agreeement.

I would like to say thanks to all of you for your input and suggestions. While I was not able to fly across the country and hash it out face to face, being able to talk on the phone and discuss all the options was very necessary. I dislike talking on the phone and generally talking to people at all so I use email and text a lot. It’s so easy for things to get lost in the text without the inflection and nuances of the spoken word.

At any rate, we have worked this out to both our satisfaction and I greatly appreciate Mike and Inka being willing to get it done. Thanks again to everyone.

-Rob

Themightygoose

Glad you got it worked out. This sounds like a company on the verge of bankruptcy if the lawsuits start coming in (and I suspect they will). I'm in the market for a trailer and will avoid this company. I can be empathetic to Mike's struggles as a small business owner, but I certainly will not give money to a business whom I cannot trust. And I certainly don't want to deal with the problems Pathfinder7 had to deal with. When it comes to the success of a small business, the quality of the customer service can outweigh the quality of the product. If you can't keep a promise you made to a customer, make it right. Sadly, many small businesses don't get that. Oh, well. Good luck to both of you.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I am also very glad this was worked out and everyone is happy. This thread should be mandatory for anybody thinking of starting an Overland company. It also shows that communication is so important, and that an agreement that benefits all sides can be worked out with hard work.

ElvisJeep87

Have any other buyers heard anything? Looks like we all got an email about refunds and told we would receive an update mid September, it’s now mid October...

msujay2012

Haven't heard anything since the refund offer email. I've emailed twice and no response. Not sure what to do but considering asking for a refund.

Pathfinder7

As an update, Inka sent out an email promising they have investors lined up and will offer a full refund to all who want it. I was promised a full refund around 3 months ago and told that I needed to wait. It was mentioned if I took any action that interfered with the investors that it might prevent a refund. As part of my talk with Mike, I agreed to keep quiet about the refund so as not to trigger a run on the company.

As mentioned above, an email was sent to buyers about 6 weeks ago promising the same to all who had a deposit down and wanted a refund. At this point, I specifically asked for some amount in good faith and was told that would not happen. I was also promised they were not planning to file for bankruptcy. I do not have much faith that this is going to happen right now. I feel they are stalling until their filing goes through just like what other trailer companies seem to be doing.

I fear that I have now waited too long based on the conversation I had with Mike and his promises of a resolution. I tried to take the man at his word and be more than reasonable, but it seems my faith and good will has backfired.

If anyone else is in the same boat please contact me and we can get the ball rolling on a way of getting our money back involving the NC consumer protection or the attorney general. Inka has had my money over 14 months and I think it’s time for their pyramid scheme to come to an end.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke