Isuzu NRR / Acela Straya High-mobility 4×4 Cab-over Truck

The truth is that I don't understand the need to modify the chassis in the Fuso, isn't it the same one that comes in Europe?

clydeps

Fuso? The Acela is based on an Isuzu chassis. Same with the Earthcruiser Core. Isuzu does not sell 4x4 trucks in North America.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
you have to spend 100k for a truck that can come out of the factory for 50k
And if you move to Australia you can buy one of those OEM 4x4 trucks, but if you live elsewhere you may not have that option.
No one is forcing you to buy one of these customized trucks, but at least it gives you the option of such a vehicle, should you want to go down that path.
And as for price... have you ever had anything custom built?

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Buuummmpppp!

I just found this thread. I haven't been real active on here lately except for the classifieds.

I've researched the Straya a bit and have emailed Acela a few times. As for the Core NPR I didn't even know they were making one. I agree that modern cabover 4x4s are almost non-existent here in the US. Too bad. It's good that Acela and EC are bringing trucks to market but they're expensive.

My email to Acela was asking about the cost breakdown of the truck and the response back was very defensive. I spoke to a Monterra owner at Mtn West Expo and he confirmed that they were great trucks but difficult to work with on the private consumer side.

My grand plan was to buy a crew cab NRR, if I can find one (did Acela buy ALL of them?) and convert it to 4x4 with Dana 80s, NP205, 38s or 40s, and custom 4-link and air bags. But, seeing some of these new Fords with the Liquid Spring suspension and loaded interiors has me re-thinking that. Not to mention the 6.0 in the Isuzu where the 7.3 is available in the Ford. The only thing I'd have over the Ford or Ram is a unique Isuzu build, and of course, the added bed space and cabover's visibility. Worth it? I don't know.

Do I need Liquid Spring? Do I need a 12" screen, leather, heated/cooled seats? Probably not. I could go a trim or two lower. I could do Carli or Kelderman or...

Would I want something more powerful than the 6.0 Isuzu is offering? Most likely. Would I need 43s and Meritors? Probably not.

There are a lot of pros and cons to both types of trucks. If I could get the Straya for $100k I would do it. But $140k for a crew cab 176" without some of the options, ooof.

Anyway...

carterd

The huge array of factory options (covered under warranty) and aftermarket support for domestic pickup trucks is extremely compelling, especially when you consider the price vs the CORE / Acela offerings. It largely boils down to your willingness to pay $70K+ more for a cabover (with virtually no creature comforts) to reduce your overall vehicle length 4-5 feet.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The first thing I should quantify is that I am on the other side of the planet and have never seen either the CORE or Acela builds, other than their photos. But do I have an opinion... absolutely! :)

I own an FG84 (FG140 equivalent) that had a coil conversion done by ATW.
The conversion was extensive, replacing all of the OEM suspension, and the ride is significantly better than any other Canter I have driven, but is it perfect... No, it is not.

Companies like ATW, EC, Acela and the like will have obviously done a significant amount of R&D in order to deliver a highly modified vehicle, but compared to a vehicle manufacturer, that R&D time/money would be insignificant.
Determining how individual components work together is a business in itself. To think that any small company could get this 100% right is fanciful, especially with the minimal quantities involved.
And then there is the after sales support... My personal experience with my own truck has been pretty good in that department, which is lucky, because I have definitely experienced issues with the modifications that were done to my truck.
Many of the modifications done to my truck were also developed in house by ATW, which means that if something goes wrong in that area there are no "off the shelf" solutions available. This could result in a hefty repair bill, if you need to pay someone else to fix a custom component.

If buying one of these seriously modified trucks you need to accept the negatives, as well as the positives of going down that path.
Do I regret buying my truck? No, but there have been issues that have seriously raised my stress levels at times.
Just sayin'...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior