Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport

SRN

Adventurer
My wife has decided that we need a more practical car (for some reason a Samurai, Miata and non running Datsun 510 are not practical). She wants something she can drive easily in the winter and is big enough to haul stuff. I want something that is capable of handling moderate trails with minimal to no modification (I'm not allowed to modify it too much, I have the Samurai for that I'm told) while holding way more gear than the Samurai.
I've always liked Rodeo's/Passport's, but I know very little about them. I figured that I would ask the fine people in the ExPo Oddball... errr Other section for advice on what to look for and what to avoid in these vehicles.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
My buddy and sister both had rodeos......both of them blew their engines around 130k miles. After seeing many of them when I used to work at an oil change place I would steer clear of them as most of the ones I saw had the beggining signs of engine failure. There are some good ones but there are better choices available.

S

Squatchout

All vehicles have their strong and weak points. I completely disagree with the engines being failure prone. GM auto transmission in some years can be a weak point. The 5 spd is one of the best made. Isuzu's are so underrated they are one of the best values in the used market. When taken care of 300k out of any of them is fairly normal. A few discreet and inexpensive mods will add greatly to an already very capable machine. They have their quircks but most all Isuzu's use the same basic layout. Very easy to work on in general. If hauling capacity is of big importance go for a Trooper instead. Much more cargo room. Like said come on over to the planet and do some homework. Great and helpful folks there. Most folks that say buy something else have never owned an Isuzu. Most who have owned an Isuzu and then moved on wish they still had an Isuzu.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I'm with Squatch - I still check Craigslist for first gen Troopers and pickups. The V6 is a pointless upgrade, since the 4cyl is plenty powerful for that light chassis. The only hard part is finding one that wasn't purchased as a cheap car to be run into the ground. The difference between a $1k Rodeo and a $2k rodeo is HUGE!

EDIT - I coulda sworn you could get a 4wd 4cyl, but the Internet is doing its best to prove me wrong. Anybody?

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I had a 95 4cyl 5speed Rodeo and it was a great truck. It took my everywhere and it was basically stock. I had no problem with it except the hydraulics on the clutch went out twice in over 200K miles. A great truck for the money. I sold it for a Trooper and I loved that truck too. I still miss my Trooper that I put over 200K on too. And again, very few problems with it.

chasespeed

Explorer
My buddy and sister both had rodeos......both of them blew their engines around 130k miles. After seeing many of them when I used to work at an oil change place I would steer clear of them as most of the ones I saw had the beggining signs of engine failure. There are some good ones but there are better choices available.

90% of the "condemned " 3.2s I have come across, had a bad timing belt tensioner(engine knock), or just needed a good flush(BAD lifters or head? Really?)....

My 93 Trooper had 317k on it when it disappeared....

My 99 Rodeo had 150k on it when I sold it to JoeD(with a fresh trans no less)....

My 00 Rodeo had... I dont remember, I didnt drive it much...

In fact, they are so unreliable, I have been looking for another Rodeo, or Trooper... so...

My Rodeo and Trooper were every bit as reliable as my Cummins..., it was the trans on both that was the weak point. Heavier frame than any other import out there, D44 Rear, 10bolt front.....

It is what it is, like anything else, find one that is taken care of, and you should be fine............

(click thumbs)

I wish I never sold this truck....

Chase

Gpzguy

I'm with Squatch - I still check Craigslist for first gen Troopers and pickups. The V6 is a pointless upgrade, since the 4cyl is plenty powerful for that light chassis. The only hard part is finding one that wasn't purchased as a cheap car to be run into the ground. The difference between a $1k Rodeo and a $2k rodeo is HUGE!

EDIT - I coulda sworn you could get a 4wd 4cyl, but the Internet is doing its best to prove me wrong. Anybody?

I've owned both a '91 Amigo and a '95.5 Rodeo. The 3.2L 24-valve V6 was a HUGE improvement! My Amigo didn't have enough power to tow my boat safely on the highway. My Rodeo towed it with ease.

To the OP: Up to '97, modifying one for offroad was cheap and easy. Just crank up the torsion bars, 'flip' the balljoint on the upper control arm, put in thinner bumpstops on the upper control arms, add some shackles to the rear springs, put on some larger tires and you're done! You could also add manual locking hubs if you want (I did).

The only problem common with the 3.2L V6 was the hydraulic lash adjusters on the valves. If the oil wasn't changed religiously, they tended to gum up and stick, causing a tapping noise when running. Mine would go away after warmed up, and when it started tapping regularily, it was telling me it was time to change the oil.

It was a capable off-road vehicle. I would recommend the '95.5 and up to 97. 95.5 is when they added a passenger side airbag.

Here's mine on the day I traded it in on my Xterra. It had 178K miles of HARD use (and lots of loving care) without a single problem... except the alternator went out this day and I decided to trade it in while I was at the dealership getting it fixed.

Rodeo-Goodbye-Jeff.jpg

Last edited:

CAsch

Agreed, good choice. I have a 99 2WD Rodeo that I am driving to "live on a nice farm upstate." Seriously I am sending it to my father-in-law's farm to live out the rest of its days as a run around vehicle. It was an ok car, but lately it has gotten loud, and mileage has been awful, not to mention the tiny fuel tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94