Its a Bitza Jeep!

Darkrider

Adventurer
First off to explain the title... The jeep I have has a mix of parts from a '92 and a '94 YJ in it. Not entirely too sure what parts belong to what as it was painted in Bedliner at some point as well. I guess that they took two red YJs and built one out of the two. None the less it is what it is. Now onto how I am now in a Jeep and what the specs of said Jeep are. I ended up surrendering the Ram 1500 I mentioned in my Astro thread a few months ago as well as selling the Astro itself as it needed far more work than initially thought. In the wake of this, I ended up buying a '91 Toyota Previa minivan for a dd and this '92 Jeep Wrangler as a project. I had previously put a down payment on the Jeep before for the owner to hold it for me and used the money from selling the Astro to pay off what was remaining owed on it.

Specs:

4.0 High output I6
3-speed auto trans
NP 231 transfer case
stock axles with unknown at this time ratios
2" body lift
unknown brand lift springs in the front end of around 3" or so of lift (sits almost level with the 3.5" lift springs in the rear hence the estimate of them being 3" at least)
BDS 3.5" lift HD springs in the rear (These are the same as the fronts but sold as a rear upgrade for hardtop equipped YJs)
worn-out set of 31" tires
home built mesh front grille

My theory is that it had a Rancho 3" lift on it at one point as if I recall correctly it had rancho front shocks on it. This kit may have been for a soft-top version and the rear springs sagged which resulted in the BDS springs being installed in their place.

The plan so far:

Fix some of the half assery on it such as finishing the body lift for example. The grille is sitting on a piece of metal bolted to the frame rather than the proper lift puck that should be there. As well as figuring out what to do with the piece of angle iron screwed to the top of the windshield frame. I am assuming this was intended as a light mount of some sort. More than likely I will remove this and fill in the holes somehow. Either by welding them shut or just sticking in plugs of some sort with silicone till I sort it properly. Another option is to keep it up after filling the holes with nutserts to make it more secure and flipping it over to bolt a light bar to at a later date. Other than that just generally catching up on work needed to make it road-worthy.

I plan on installing stock bumpers front and rear. More then likely opting for a TJ style rear bumper rather then the bumperettes the YJs came with. Plus I will replace the tailgate hinges with late 95 style ones to make it stronger for carrying a 31" spare on it. I know these came with 30s stock but it def will not hurt to beef up the tailgate either way.

On to the pics:

l3vmYu3.jpg

UiRHU5m.jpg

autism family travels

I think if she is solid, I would scrap the lift and install all new so that you KNOW what you have. Plus, fresh springs and shocks are always nice. Then, I would find a stock grill to put back, since the PO butchered that poor jeep. Looks like an awesome project though.

Darkrider

Adventurer
I think if she is solid, I would scrap the lift and install all new so that you KNOW what you have. Plus, fresh springs and shocks are always nice. Then, I would find a stock grill to put back, since the PO butchered that poor jeep. Looks like an awesome project though.

The rear springs are brand new same as the bushings in them. Since I have the part numbers for them I might just swap out the front ones for another pair of the same and use the fresh set of bushings that came with the jeep to finish them out. At that stage, I would be at the point of having a new lift front and rear other than shocks. I will probably re-use the front springs on a spare tub and chassis I have to build a trailer to pull behind it. I have been watching for a stock grille for it for a while now. The modified one on it isn't too bad really other then the trim ring rusting out. But there is a large piece of thick mesh in there. Truthfully it is probably stronger than the stock part.

direwolf82

I would think that if the existing suspension works for what they want it to do there is no reason to replace it just to know what brand it is.
I tend to be more function orientated than most though.
Although fresh springs and shocks are nice.
Looks like my kind of Jeep, a little rough around the edges but with what sounds like a good driveline. Enjoy your build however you go about it, looks like fun!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Darkrider

Adventurer
I would think that if the existing suspension works for what they want it to do there is no reason to replace it just to know what brand it is.
I tend to be more function orientated than most though.
Although fresh springs and shocks are nice.
Looks like my kind of Jeep, a little rough around the edges but with what sounds like a good driveline. Enjoy your build however you go about it, looks like fun!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Its the not knowing exactly how much lift if any the front springs are providing at this point would be the biggest reason for swapping out the fronts. From some angles, it looks level and from others, it looks like it's higher in the rear. Other than that that would be the core reason for a switch. Like I said I would reuse the old springs on a jeep tub based trailer to pull behind so they aren't going to waste either way.

Johnny Cash signature model?

Apparently lol

billiebob

With 31s a 3" lift is plenty. I'd pull the body lift. Heres my old YJ, 2" lift and 33s, I had to trim the front of the rear fender opening but it flexed fully without contact.

DSC_00143093.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke